New member, wanting to get up to speed

Discussions related to Solo
TheCowGod

New member, wanting to get up to speed

Post by TheCowGod »

Hey there everyone. I'm Dan, living in West Knoxville, and looking forward to joining SCCA and coming to autocrosses. I'm trying to decide which of my two cars would be a better choice to bring out, and I'm not sure I fully understand which class each car would fall in. I'm sure you get plenty of these "OMG i don't understand what class my car belongs in" kinds of first posts, but here's mine :)

As far as experience, I was in my university's sports car club 10 years ago (Clemson, SC) and ran in those autocrosses fairly regularly with the various MK2 and MK3 Supras and Civics I owned at the time, but that club didn't do any kind of classing -- everyone just ran together. I haven't done any autocrossing since I graduated in 2003.

As for my cars, I've got a 2011 Mini Cooper S convertible, completely factory stock, and I just picked up a '99 Miata, also completely stock (other than the head unit, which I assume doesn't affect the car's class). I'd think the Miata is the more natural choice. The turbo Mini certainly has more power, but I know the Miata is a very common autox car. I also like the idea of keeping the wear and tear off the Mini, since it's a lease that I'll have to turn back in in a year and a half. (On the other hand, maybe that's an argument for running the Mini :)

Is there any kind of rollbar requirement for convertibles? The Mini has a factory rollbar, but the Miata has none, and I was curious if that'd be a requirement I'd have to factor into my decision.

I've been looking over the rulebook, and it appears that the Mini would be DS, and the Miata would be ES. Is that right?

I was looking at the calendar of upcoming events, and I see that they have names like 'Regional #5' and 'SeDiv'. I'm not sure what those are, and I'd like to come to a "normal" autocross for my first event. What do the different event types mean? Of the next few events, is there one that would be a better choice (more laid-back etc) for my first time?

OK, I think that's all the questions I've got for now. Thanks, guys. Looking forward to joining you sometime soon.

Dan
Dan McCormack
'99 Miata - ES 77
'11 Mini Cooper S Convertible
John Brown

Re: New member, wanting to get up to speed

Post by John Brown »

This Sunday at Pillissippi College. Its a Normal event and laid back. :mrgreen:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Bring out the Miata. Less frustrating to drive. No rollbar needed.

ES is correct. Great car for the class.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TheCowGod

Post by TheCowGod »

Thanks, I'll bring the Miata. This weekend could work -- my band is playing a show late Saturday night, which might make it tough to get up bright and early for an autox on Sunday morning, but we'll see how that goes :)

I see the website mentions the Novice class. Would that be where I belong for now? Despite my autox experience back in college, I have no idea how SCCA does things, so it will be a pretty new experience for me. Hell, even back then I always tended to get lost in the course and score DNFs etc, so I would hardly say I'm a seasoned veteran or anything :) I guess I'm not sure what effect the class has, really. Is it purely a matter of matching you up with other drivers and cars of similar level? I'm just coming out to have a good time, and at least until I get the hang of things, I don't care at all about trying to have the fastest time in my class or anything like that. So I guess it doesn't matter much which class I run in, unless the Rookie class gets some additional explanation time or something.
Dan McCormack
'99 Miata - ES 77
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

Normally, novice allows folks from different classes to compete in one big group. Ie: CS, GS, STX etc. this year i dont believe we're doing it, though.
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
TheCowGod

Post by TheCowGod »

Ah, OK, I'll just register under ES then. Great, thanks.
Dan McCormack
'99 Miata - ES 77
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

We still run novice. We call it "Rookie" now.

I never ran novice class, kind of pointless, IMO since it's all pax based and since pax factors are mostly generated using the best drivers in the best machines, it's usually way off. But, running Rookie it does allow you another chance to win something. no shame in running Rookie if you want. You'll still run with the other ES cars.

What is your band, btw?
Chris Harp
TheCowGod

Post by TheCowGod »

Oh, I see, so it's not either-or -- so I'd be running in ES, but also classified as a Rookie, and thus I'd be ranked amongst the other ES cars, and also amongst everyone running as a Rookie? Gotcha. Yeah, I'll give it a try then, just to see what it's like.

My band is called Senryu (all our music is available here for free: http://senryu.bandcamp.com/music ). Kind of dancy/indie rock/pop kinda thing. Hard to classify. But I guess everyone says that :)
Dan McCormack
'99 Miata - ES 77
TheCowGod

Post by TheCowGod »

OK great, my band's show got moved to Friday, so now there's no conflict, and I'll definitely be there this Sunday.

My wife and 10-year-old son would like to come as well, at least for part of the day. What are the rules for 10-year-olds? Can he hang out with me, or would he and my wife need to stay in a separate area? Is there any chance he'd be allowed to ride along with me on a run?

I've been trying to wrap my head around the membership options, but I haven't been able to figure out what the best way to go about it is. It sounds like NOT joining SCCA before the event is the best way to go, and just doing a weekend membership at the event will end up saving me money. Is that correct? I don't need to "try before I buy", I'm ready to join, but of course I don't want to spend more money than I have to :)

As far as registering for the event, can I just pick any number? I used to run as number 77 back in college, but I don't know if I need to check with someone first to be sure the number is available, or if the form will reject it if it's taken, or what. Sorry, I'm sure these are common questions that everyone asks, but I searched the forum and didn't find a clear answer. Thanks, looking forward to it!
Dan McCormack
'99 Miata - ES 77
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

TheCowGod wrote:OK great, my band's show got moved to Friday, so now there's no conflict, and I'll definitely be there this Sunday.

My wife and 10-year-old son would like to come as well, at least for part of the day. What are the rules for 10-year-olds? Can he hang out with me, or would he and my wife need to stay in a separate area? Is there any chance he'd be allowed to ride along with me on a run?

I've been trying to wrap my head around the membership options, but I haven't been able to figure out what the best way to go about it is. It sounds like NOT joining SCCA before the event is the best way to go, and just doing a weekend membership at the event will end up saving me money. Is that correct? I don't need to "try before I buy", I'm ready to join, but of course I don't want to spend more money than I have to :)

As far as registering for the event, can I just pick any number? I used to run as number 77 back in college, but I don't know if I need to check with someone first to be sure the number is available, or if the form will reject it if it's taken, or what. Sorry, I'm sure these are common questions that everyone asks, but I searched the forum and didn't find a clear answer. Thanks, looking forward to it!
1 - You'll need a minor wavier on file for him. More info in the second paragraph here - http://www.etrscca.org/solo/must-read-information/

No kids allowed in hot grid.

2 - Yes, come out and run as a weekend member. Or, if you want, we can use one of the laptops to sign you up at the event Sunday and there's a way I can still get you the weekend member discount and your first event free. Bring a credit/debit card.

3 - Yes, just pick anything that is not taken and is only 2 digits.
Chris Harp
integra55

Post by integra55 »

thrdeye wrote: No kids allowed in hot grid.
and yet we see them in the hot pits all the time :shock:
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

And RIDER minors must be 12y/o minimum right?
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
TheCowGod

Post by TheCowGod »

Well... he's tall for his age? :) OK, good to know. 2 more years to wait isn't too bad. He's interested in cars and is starting to learn about how FWD differs from RWD etc, so I think it'll be great (and of course fun) for him to get to experience what it feels like to be in a RWD car driven in anger :)
Dan McCormack
'99 Miata - ES 77
TheCowGod

Post by TheCowGod »

Oh yeah, I'm going to be making magnetic numbers. I registered under ES, and ticked 'Newbie', and I see that I'm listed as class NES. Is that what I should make numbers for? 77 NES?
Dan McCormack
'99 Miata - ES 77
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

You don't need the "N"
Chris Harp