**OFFICIAL THREAD** - Pellissippi 9/14

Discussions related to Solo
Spike240SX

Re: **OFFICIAL THREAD** - Pellissippi 9/14

Post by Spike240SX »

TedV wrote:
Spike240SX wrote:Just registered.

I was pretty sure on my car class. But if someone would validate for me that would be great.

2004 VW Golf R32 should be D Street, Correct?z
Welcome! and unless you have modified it in some way, you are correct, DStreet
Yeah, I spent some more time reading through the car classes. Looks like Ill end up in Street Touring Extreme. The car is modded enough that it sticks me in that class.
Nick Hageman
'04 VW Golf R32
32STX
djrogers1

Post by djrogers1 »

I'll be there for T&S. And please remind me to buy some stickers..... :lol:
Dave Rogers
2006 Porsche Cayman S #13
2011 Porsche Cayman S #13
2016 Mustang GT #3
2018 BMW 340i X-drive #3
2022 Mustang Mach 1 #3
Tim Gillespie

Post by Tim Gillespie »

I'm in for timing.

Tim
My Factory Five Cobra build site: http://www.timsroadster.com
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Lin and I will also get the van/trailer to the site.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
TheCowGod

Post by TheCowGod »

I'm registering for this event. My '99 Miata is completely stock other than a set of 17x7 wheels & tires. At the last autocross I attended, I put the factory wheels & tires back on and ran in ES. This time I'd like to leave the aftermarket wheels on, to see for myself how much worse the handling is with the heavier wheels. But I'm not quite sure what class that puts me in. The factory wheels are 6.5" wide, so I believe my 7" wheels take me out of E Street. So where does that put me? Street Modified? Street Touring Modified? I'm not really clear on which is the next step up.

Oh, and I know I'm going to be in a class with cars faster than mine, but I don't mind. I'm new to this, so I know I'm not going to be winning my class anyway, wherever I end up :) I just want to put the right class on my registration form. Any tips?
Dan McCormack
'99 Miata - ES 77
'11 Mini Cooper S Convertible
steverife

Post by steverife »

STR or STM. Your call.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
benk

Post by benk »

I'll be there for T&S as usual.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
flier129

Post by flier129 »

TheCowGod wrote:I'm registering for this event. My '99 Miata is completely stock other than a set of 17x7 wheels & tires. At the last autocross I attended, I put the factory wheels & tires back on and ran in ES. This time I'd like to leave the aftermarket wheels on, to see for myself how much worse the handling is with the heavier wheels. But I'm not quite sure what class that puts me in. The factory wheels are 6.5" wide, so I believe my 7" wheels take me out of E Street. So where does that put me? Street Modified? Street Touring Modified? I'm not really clear on which is the next step up.

Oh, and I know I'm going to be in a class with cars faster than mine, but I don't mind. I'm new to this, so I know I'm not going to be winning my class anyway, wherever I end up :) I just want to put the right class on my registration form. Any tips?
Like Rife said, the 7" wide wheels put your car into STR. It might be worth talking to the other competitors to see if they are alright with you running those wheels. That half inch isn't going to gain you THAT much and is offset by the big 17s.

Side note, what tires are on the 17s and what are on the factory wheels? Pick whichever tire is stickier.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
TheCowGod

Post by TheCowGod »

Thanks, I registered in STR. It does seem like it wouldn't be a big deal to just run in ES, since as you said, the slight increase in width will certainly be offset by the heavier wheels. There was no one in ES anyway, so I guess it wouldn't have mattered. But it's OK, I'd rather run in a class with other people, even if I'm the slowest. It's nice to have a point of reference.

The tires on the 17s are 205/45ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL (320 treadwear), and the tires on the factory wheels are 205/50ZR-15 BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S (400 treadwear). Same width tires, hehe. I believe the 17" Enkei EV5's are 18 lbs each, so not terrible, but they're certainly no 6UL's or anything. It looks like the factory 15" alloys on the '99 Sport are 13 lbs, but the 400 treadwear tires kind of offset that. I think it's a wash -- neither wheel/tire combo is particularly good from a performance standpoint. Eventually I'll get some nice light 15x8's or something, but for now I'm just running what I've got.
Dan McCormack
'99 Miata - ES 77
'11 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

TheCowGod wrote:Thanks, I registered in STR. It does seem like it wouldn't be a big deal to just run in ES, since as you said, the slight increase in width will certainly be offset by the heavier wheels. There was no one in ES anyway, so I guess it wouldn't have mattered. But it's OK, I'd rather run in a class with other people, even if I'm the slowest. It's nice to have a point of reference.

The tires on the 17s are 205/45ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL (320 treadwear), and the tires on the factory wheels are 205/50ZR-15 BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S (400 treadwear). Same width tires, hehe. I believe the 17" Enkei EV5's are 18 lbs each, so not terrible, but they're certainly no 6UL's or anything. It looks like the factory 15" alloys on the '99 Sport are 13 lbs, but the 400 treadwear tires kind of offset that. I think it's a wash -- neither wheel/tire combo is particularly good from a performance standpoint. Eventually I'll get some nice light 15x8's or something, but for now I'm just running what I've got.
i ran the same bfg's on my subaru and man were they slick as snot. just a heads up if you havent axed on them yet
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Treadwear doesn't mean much of anything. I've ran the sports quite a bit and I've driven the v12s on a 350z so apples to oranges, but they seem very similar. I'd definitely run the 15s, cutting off rotating mass will net you the most in your situation.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
Josh_McCRX

Post by Josh_McCRX »

I'm not going to make it. Gave Marcus some warning and advised him on who to assign to grid.
Josh McCoig

1995 Honda Civic Si - STM/SMF 23
2004 Honda Element EX 4WD - Adventurer
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Thanks for getting that handled, Josh. Hope the car is up and running by now.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story