ETRSCCA # 8

Discussions related to Solo
oldmuscle69

Re: ETRSCCA # 8

Post by oldmuscle69 »

``I want to thank Walter Jones. he gave me my first taste of victory at my first event when I ran 5 DNF and then won.Since I ran out of class and won.(STC) Now STS he has given me the drive to run faster.We in the class joke and poke at each other and have fun.I have drove Beyond myself this year.I want to thank Walter,Mike and Lin. I think we had the most fun class this year.Even getting Skirted once this year was a HOOT.I thank you all for staying in this class.I Love you all!!!!!!!
Bob Colbert
maowens1

Post by maowens1 »

John Brown wrote:What an eventful event!!
I had a good day.. didn't win pro class ..but finished well.. looks like a keeper score. I still find it hard to believe two drivers lost it in a straight a way section of the course, causing timing down time.. wow. Glad we went up hill today.. or I guess we wud have had to fish two cars out of the lake..!

Yeah sorry about the early spin out that cut the timing wires. Just got the car a few weeks back to use for autox ( also a new experience). I didn't think that it would break loose that fast when shifting coming up that hill but after it happened, it was to late to save it. It also needs tires in the worst possible way. The ones that are on it aren't very good street tires much less race tires but like I said, it's all new to me and I've not owned the car long enough to change anything yet. I'll try to get the auto switched out to a manual and good tires put on before I come out again. Thanks for a fun weekend !
Michael Owens
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

eh,learn from it.. More than a few worried about high HP cars on Street tires.. :shock:

I understand the other car was an ITC Honda.. another high HP car on streets. :lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Michael, come to the Adesa event if you can and learn more about the car. Mistakes happen and we we try to do our best to make sure it's a safe environment to learn in. Get some tires and keep having fun. We have all kinds of people that can suggest good tires for autocrossing your car.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

+1 to Mark.

We've ALL done some things on course that ended up being closer than they should have been. I once lost it in an offset on an airport course and drifted about 50 yards all the way over to the other side of the runway, and almost into an oncoming car.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Yeah... my first autocross in the corvette... I hit the timing head at the finish. Wasn't my first event, but first in that car. It happens.

Hmmmm... come to think of it... I was on street tires back then.

Coincidence.....????????
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

GaryM wrote:
ConeEater wrote:Yeah....

So, walking the course this morning I said to another driver.... "I'm not liking the looks of those timing wires... don't be _that guy_"
I thought the same during my walk, and went so far as to unwind the reel and move them out another 15-20ft.... I guess I should have gone 40. I was kicking myself for realizing it was a problem and not doing more about it. I had fun today despite the delays. I was able to give Stewart a run for his money, which was way more than I thought I'd accomplish. He drove great and deserved the win, congrats again! I'll try not to make it so easy next time.
jcox07 wrote:Run group 3 hit 97 cones, I have not seen that many cones hit in one run group in a long time and I am sure that the other run groups probably got close to that or maybe more cones as well.
I think most of that was Ryan :lol: :lol: He's throwing off your statistics. :fight:
i second this. :D the geo proved to be quite a different beast than my subie im used to driving, but i'm glad i was able to reel the car in a bit and get at least a couple "clean" runs in. (it was a bad day to be a pointer cone)
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

ok, so, i may have skewed those cone counts just a *leetle* 13 of them were mine, 8 in one run :shock:
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Despite my car woes I managed to have a lot of fun at this event. Once again, thanks to JB for letting me drive his car... it just works and it's always a lot of fun. I could of picked up a lot of time if I would of trusted the car more. Especially at turn in, mine will usually rotate around if you get on the throttle too early, JB's just stuck and stayed on the line.

I think those bumps in the slalom were the only downside to it. I realize I was in the one of the best slalom cars you could be in, but they didn't seem too tight..... Until I hit a bump and my hands went flailing around and my right foot was trying to keep the car composed. Did the slalom the worst on my fastest run, go figure.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
TedV

Post by TedV »

To those who asked about my keychain leather man with the wire strippers. It is a Squirt Es4. :rockon: :rockon: if you are around electronics and have to repair them at unexpected times, they are awesome.

It was fun to get the kart out and try to knock some cobwebs off. I'm still not out of the woods with how allergies n things effect me. :( Its more of a rollercoaster ride than a kart on the PSCC lot, very frustrating.

I wonder what my total time in the air was per run? I forgot what Sean N Bob said about the bumps on the Briggs Kart. The new skid plates worked great tho. As always lots o fun hanging out with all yall
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

(DeWitt .. wth ?) Lol
I dunno.

On my first run, that didn't count because of a timing issue, my head was somewhere other than on top of my neck. But the other two times??? It may be that when I was walking the course, it just didn't register that it wasn't just a straight run up the hill to a sweeper. But mostly I think it was driving point to point and not keeping my head up.

The course only appeared to be simple. It also drove a lot slower than I thought it would after walking it. I thought the fast times would be in the low thirties. There were interesting technical bits like the two gates going down hill on the upper half of the course. If you didn't have a good line coming out of the second gate, it would mess up the turn before the finish. Watching the first run group from where I set up sound control, very few people looked like they had a good line through them, maybe four or five of the 30 some odd drivers. The entrances to the two slaloms were equally tricky. I only managed a good run through the first slalom on my last run, which I then threw away going up the hill. I don't think I ever had a good run through the second slalom.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

I'm hoping that the cone counts aren't adding in all the lay down cones. I know that one on my second run was called up at the top street the uphill. I hit that last one in line and add I came thru the finish I saw the worker lift it up to show the corner captain. I preceded to yell out "hey, that's not a cone that counts... " he said "oh ok".

I think I got one in the slalom at the beginning too.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

On the 3rd run group I watched by the trailer and made sure the lay down cones were not counted.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
John_Kernodle

Post by John_Kernodle »

jcox07 wrote:On the 3rd run group I watched by the trailer and made sure the lay down cones were not counted.
As station 3 captain on the 3rd run group, I did the same.
John P. Kernodle
2010 MX-5 Miata
http://jpkernodle.zenfolio.com/
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

At this point.. times and points don't really matter. I think we need 6 events and I think I have 3 right now. Just going out trying to keep up with the class.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing