ETRSCCA # 8

Discussions related to Solo
ConeEater

Re: ETRSCCA # 8

Post by ConeEater »

Yes... feels like I put the pitfall down and it just doesn't stop like it should. Kinda spongy maybe. What did berry do top unclog it?

Need to check the pins on the right front caliper again. I'm not sure if there might be a bent pin that is not letting the caliper slide properly.

Going with new rotors and different pads next year.. maybe carbotech or ferrodo. Bleed the system again as well
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Kinda spongy maybe.
If it's spongy, the brake booster is probably working. The pedal usually gets really hard when the booster fails. It's like what happens if the engine quits while driving. You have one or two pedal applications with boost and then you have to stand on the pedal with both feet to get any braking at all. You may have a brake line going soft.

Unfortunately, your car is too recent to be able to use stainless steel reinforced brake lines and stay in Street class. The cutoff, last time I checked, was 1996.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Have to think about it. But that's for another thread.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

Great event and course, even with the delays. I am surprised I never got called for a cone in that first slalom, it was great to have slow slalom to work on getting into it early.

I tell you Hoosiers are not near as delicate as people make them out to be. The tires on the front have 2 Pro-Solos, 1 Champ tour, several practive runs, 2 Locals, and the drive to ETR which is about 114 miles one way and still performed very well Sunday. I am going to use them again this weekend in Chattanooga. :rockon:

Brian, my brake pedal was extremely hard. The booster had failed and the clogging was in the vacuum line from the inside of the booster coming loose. The line had a bunch of foam in it.
GT350
integra55

Post by integra55 »

dewittpayne wrote:
Kinda spongy maybe.
If it's spongy, the brake booster is probably working. The pedal usually gets really hard when the booster fails. It's like what happens if the engine quits while driving. You have one or two pedal applications with boost and then you have to stand on the pedal with both feet to get any braking at all. You may have a brake line going soft.

Unfortunately, your car is too recent to be able to use stainless steel reinforced brake lines and stay in Street class. The cutoff, last time I checked, was 1996.
I've done the SS brake line … and now switched to OEM rubber lines … just accept the fact that they are wear items … swap them out every 2 - 3 yrs … no problem
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I just finished with the audit sheets and I will go over results once Chris gets them up to make sure every thing matches up and boy what a mess! 224 cones hit, not sure but I think that may be one of the highest cone counts that I can remember in my 5 years autoxing....
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

those two slaloms on the bottom side were tough, and that cone on the right side making the kink going up the hill was hard to stay off of in wide cars. glad I wasn't working course, they were busy shagging cones out there.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

ke0ki2k wrote:those two slaloms on the bottom side were tough, and that cone on the right side making the kink going up the hill was hard to stay off of in wide cars. glad I wasn't working course, they were busy shagging cones out there.

well.. if you had slowed down bout 25 mph.. that cone wouldn't have been an issue. :lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

jcox07 wrote:I just finished with the audit sheets and I will go over results once Chris gets them up to make sure every thing matches up and boy what a mess! 224 cones hit, not sure but I think that may be one of the highest cone counts that I can remember in my 5 years autoxing....

that's only 49.78% :lol:
steverife

Post by steverife »

I clipped dumb cones my 1st 2 runs. First run, I hit the apex at the finish. I anticipated the front washing out a bit (and hopefully the rear following!), but that didn't happen and I turned in on the cone. On the 2nd run, I clipped the inside cone in the gate in the middle of the S up top. Same deal. I expected the car to washout a bit and it didn't.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I expected the car to washout a bit and it didn't.

Not going fast enough, says the person who couldn't keep his right foot down around the kink going up hill when he remembered to go through the gate and then turn right (3 for 5 on that).
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

steverife wrote:I clipped dumb cones my 1st 2 runs. First run, I hit the apex at the finish. I anticipated the front washing out a bit (and hopefully the rear following!), but that didn't happen and I turned in on the cone. On the 2nd run, I clipped the inside cone in the gate in the middle of the S up top. Same deal. I expected the car to washout a bit and it didn't.
I don't know how many drivers hit the lone cone right before the finish turn on drivers left... all those cones were not hit in the saloms.. And the saloms could be a lot worse.. 45 ft is the min legal salom. Those were 60-63 ft.
steverife

Post by steverife »

DeWitt callin me out! :lol:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

steverife wrote:DeWitt callin me out! :lol:
I thought you'd appreciate the irony. The fundamental law of the universe, btw, is that irony always increases. Murphy's Law is just a corollary of this.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Yep JB that cone on the left hand turn before the finish did get hit a lot also. The biggest cones being hit during 1 and 2 run groups I don't have a clue on as I was not looking at course due to breakage. I would venture a guess that the 4 lay down cones at the top of the chute got a lot of attention and they were even counted.... That would have driven the cone count probably over 300, I don't understand why so many cars hit those cones as you had to give it up to turn right, I guess some underestimated when to brake...lol I looked at all my videos from events 1 and 2 and 4 and 5 and this was by far the tightest slaloms we have run at pelli this year, that had a lot to do with cone count as event 2 had 186 cones hit not too far off of this number.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500