So, what is THE street tire for 2015?

Discussions related to Solo
disneyd
Site Admin

So, what is THE street tire for 2015?

Post by disneyd »

I have to buy tires before next season, and I will most likely be running in STM.

Right now I'm leaning towards the version 2 RS3's, but I've been out of the loop so I don't know what else is out there.

What rumors has anyone heard? Anything new coming out? Is the RS3 still the favorite for light cars (if you don't want to run a 195 :wink:)? Has anyone done any real testing lately?

Seems like there was some big hype about the Rivals early on, but is anyone running them now and winning?
- Dave Disney
thrdeye

Re: So, what is THE street tire for 2015?

Post by thrdeye »

I don't think anyone knows what THE tire is just yet. I would suspect that the ZII Star Spec might be out soon (currently it's just the "ZII"). So, that's one to watch.

I like Hankooks, they pay, and they fit my car. For me, size/sidewall is important. For you, maybe not so much. I'm pretty much going with Hankook unless something unexpected happens.

Personally, I think they'll all go about as fast as the other one, just depends on your setup, getting the right size, and learning what the tire likes heat-wise.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Lots of speculation on new tires for next year, but no data yet.
Toyo is suppose to have a 200tw tire, with the pixie-dust single-compound in all sizes.
ZII star spec is coming out like Harp said, but I doubt it'll come in a 225/45/15.
Bridgestone and Yokohama are both suppose to come out with something fresh.
Kuhmo has talked about a V720 street tire for awhile, but hasn't been released yet.
BFG is making a new compound along side the Rival, they're calling it the Rival-S. It's the same transition they did with the R1 and R1-S r-comps. Rumormill also saying they might make a 245/40/15 in this compound. I did testing with the rival vs rs3v1 and vs a 195 r1r, they rival lost every time, it was pretty damn horrible for all the hype.
You're best choice right now is RS3v2s.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

I will be running the Ventus R-S3 200TW (Version 2) at this weekends KYSCCA event at the Corvette Museum. My cars weight with me in it is just over 4000 lbs and I have no idea what to expect. I did go to a large parking lot near my home with new asphalt and tried to simulate some maneuvers and the tires stuck real good. Outside temp at the time was 65 degrees. I here they really like heat..temps at the event this weekend low to mid 70's. I can tell you the price has gone up big time on these tires from $139 each to now $295 ea (My size) At least I'll have the T&T on Saturday to figure them out.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

Gen52SS wrote:I will be running the Ventus R-S3 200TW (Version 2) at this weekends KYSCCA event at the Corvette Museum. My cars weight with me in it is just over 4000 lbs and I have no idea what to expect. I did go to a large parking lot near my home with new asphalt and tried to simulate some maneuvers and the tires stuck real good. Outside temp at the time was 65 degrees. I here they really like heat..temps at the event this weekend low to mid 70's. I can tell you the price has gone up big time on these tires from $139 each to now $295 ea (My size) At least I'll have the T&T on Saturday to figure them out.
Ive got these on my subaru currently and like them a lot. they stick great and seem to have decent wear for what they are. i'll need to kill them off before i make a decision if i change or not, but thus far they've been great. What size do you have Paul? my 245/45/17's were in the $139 price range
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Brian Burdette had R-S3 200TW tires ( 275 width on 18x9 rims) on his FS Mustang at the Blytheville Pro Solo early this year. He said that the handling was different from the Dunlop ZII's, but once he figured them out, they were as good or better. He didn't go into detail about the difference. He finished ahead of the other Mustangs, pretty much all on Dunlops, in the SR class.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

If they'd just make the Hankook in a 275/35-15 I'd have it made... :twisted:
- Dave Disney
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Buck05Sti wrote:
Gen52SS wrote:I will be running the Ventus R-S3 200TW (Version 2) at this weekends KYSCCA event at the Corvette Museum. My cars weight with me in it is just over 4000 lbs and I have no idea what to expect. I did go to a large parking lot near my home with new asphalt and tried to simulate some maneuvers and the tires stuck real good. Outside temp at the time was 65 degrees. I here they really like heat..temps at the event this weekend low to mid 70's. I can tell you the price has gone up big time on these tires from $139 each to now $295 ea (My size) At least I'll have the T&T on Saturday to figure them out.
Ive got these on my subaru currently and like them a lot. they stick great and seem to have decent wear for what they are. i'll need to kill them off before i make a decision if i change or not, but thus far they've been great. What size do you have Paul? my 245/45/17's were in the $139 price range
I only see they have 245/40/17 now @ $153 ea. some of the 19's $275 ea. or the 20's like I run can be as high as $336 ea. Several of the Chat members use them so I've been asking comparingring them to other options and still be at 200TW for next year. They all liked the V2's even went as far to say much better then the previous S3's in the rain. I just can't wait to give them a test Saturday and Sunday.
Paul Breitweiser
jhix33

Post by jhix33 »

The ZII Star Specs have already been out for a couple months now. Check TireRack. There has only been limited testing so far. The RS3V2 is the best tire out currently in my opinion, but the ZIISS may be close. They don't come in any sizes wide enough for the rear of the Vette, so they're not an option for me.
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

dewittpayne wrote:Brian Burdette had R-S3 200TW tires ( 275 width on 18x9 rims) on his FS Mustang at the Blytheville Pro Solo early this year. He said that the handling was different from the Dunlop ZII's, but once he figured them out, they were as good or better. He didn't go into detail about the difference. He finished ahead of the other Mustangs, pretty much all on Dunlops, in the SR class.
Dewitt... I think he also ran them against David Corsaro's 1LE Camaro at Nationals who also ran the Hankook RS3's and won 1st place by 0.074 over James Yom's BMW M3 .....Brian's Mustang finished 5th. Dave is a member of a Camaro forum I belong to and he recommend aggressive alignment (which you also suggested) making the changes to 1.8 neg camber 0 degrees toe and go to the Hankook RS3's and I should be happy.
Paul Breitweiser
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

Dave, I'm running the Rivals and I love them. They seem to like running on the warm side though. I found Adesa to be quite slick where Joey Richardson, who is running ZII's said he had plenty of grip. I think the ZII's may run better at lower temperatures. Take all this with a grain of salt, as this is my first year axing as well as my first set of good street tires :D.
Brian Robbins
XP 45