Knoxvegas Lowballers

Discussions related to Solo
jcox07

Knoxvegas Lowballers

Post by jcox07 »

Big thanks to the Knoxvegas Lowballers for the help in putting on the rear lower control arms and relocation brackets and that p.i.t.a upper link and spherical bearing, without their help it would have not got done as quick as it did. Also thanks to Dewitt and Mark Pilson for coming out and helping as well. JY
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
MARKP

Re: Knoxvegas Lowballers

Post by MARKP »

No need to thank me, you let me drive the car! :twisted:

We definitely could not have gotten it done as well or as quickly without Gary and Aaron, though. Thanks guys!
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I had a friend of mine put a 1" hole in the aluminum adapter so it would fit over the bushing shaft. That way, it presses directly on the bushing shell first and can also be used to press the spherical bushing back in. Or at least that's the theory. I've borrowed a ball joint press from Advance that should be a little easier to work with than the Pittman arm puller we used. I'll let you know if it works as planned. I may even take pictures.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

I'm glad we could help out. How's it driving now, JY?
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

It seems way better but I haven't really got on it hard with the street tires. I have it on jack stands to check all bolts now and will take it out for a spin this weekend.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

The ball joint press didn't work for removing the bushing. The receiving tube in the kit was a few inches too short. It worked fine for pressing the new bushing in, though. I had to use the heavy duty Pittman arm puller from Autozone for removal. Drilling the hole had mixed results. It was good for pressing the new bushing in, but not so good for removing the old bushing. One problem was that the metal shaft on the old bushing has a larger diameter than the new bushing. The more pleasant surprise was that I didn't have to drop the gas tank to replace the upper control arm mount. I had new bolts for installing the mount and there was considerably less force required to install them. So I now have the adjustable upper control arm completely installed.

I doubt that I could have done the job by myself if I hadn't had the experience helping Jeff and the aluminum adapter piece made by the Knoxvegas Lowballers.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Dewitt, dont forget to make sure the bolts are tight after you drive it about 50 miles as it may work loose and change the pinion angle, by the way what did you set your pinion angle at?
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I measured the angle of the nose of the diff before changing the arm and then set it back to that angle with the new arm. I didn't actually measure the pinion angle. I'm using the stock hole on the mount. The magnet attachment for the electronic level made it quite easy. My eyeball estimate of arm length was pretty close.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C