event 1... in the books!

Discussions related to Solo
Gen52SS

Re: event 1... in the books!

Post by Gen52SS »

Great course ...thanks John feel better....thanks to all the hard work ETR staff to fix some of the problems. It was a fun day..I knew I was in trouble when a lady asked if I'd like some sunscreen :( I forgot it at home ....people don't do what I did make sure you bring sunscreen. Had one bad when I forgot to look ahead. It was a beautiful day. I know we had 105 entries last year 1st event don't know the total maybe 75 yesterday?
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Tough fight in pro. This is going to be a long season....

I drove ok. The car really felt good. So much do, that the car hit more cones.

If would've been able to use the 4th run, it still wouldn't have been enough to catch Jeff. I would've had to run Mark's 57.11 to beat Jeff. I would've needed a deep 56 run to win, and that Wasn't in the cards. Only on my last runs was the tires keeping any heat.

Need to figure out hour to keep the new go pro from dying after 5 runs. It was a long heat so that was part of it.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
steverife

Post by steverife »

It looks like we would have had to run a 57.861 in the STR to win pro. My last run was 59.5 and I overcooked the turnaround by the trailer pretty badly and could have pretty much gotten on the gas earlier and broke earlier and less everywhere, so I think that time is conceiveable.

Of course, I'm sure that Pilson and Kristo and everyone else could have hypothetically dropped bunches of time, too.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I needed a 59. 1.5 seconds on that course....not sure where to find it.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
flier129

Post by flier129 »

I had a lot of fun battling in STM. There was alot more grip out there on my last 2 runs vs the first two, so I was sad that I didn't get my 5th run to improve and beat James/Lucas. Cathers and I agreed, there was a high 57 for my car in that run group, but whatevs.

Sorry about my muffler, I forget how loud it is sometimes. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been changed since Darrin put it on in 98'. I'll be ordering a replacement tonight and have it put on before the next event. FWIW I was running sound in group two, Dave Roberts hit 98/100 in his S2K, but once he put the turn-down on it dropped to 94. I was impressed on that the turn-down helped that much.

Thanks for everyone that made the event happen!
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
visibiliti

Post by visibiliti »

Teufelshund wrote:Humorous mistake of the day:

Me thinking Andrew Stach forgot to change his numbers, when in fact he was riding as a passenger with his co driver in the Elise (right hand drive). In my defense, he was sitting in the driver's side of the car :fight: :lol:
:lol2:

I was so confused when you first started questioning us. I was thinking "I'm POSITIVE we switched the numbers-- did they already fall off!?". Then I put it all together. :lol: p.s. i was sitting in the passenger side of the car... :P
Andrew Stach - SM STi #87 RIP - 2015 STM Elise
visibiliti

Post by visibiliti »

MARKP wrote:Sound notes from heat 1:
The white Lotus was on the limit of sound every run... I strongly suggest a little work there.
thrdeye wrote: I heard the Lotus about halfway up the main hall inside of PSCC headed to the bathroom. That one will def need to be fixxored before running again.
Hmm, no one said a word to me yesterday! Y'all know I am a friendly person, right?
(my point is, if I didn't happen to be on the forums, I would have never known)

Is being on the limit of sound considered just as bad as breaking sound? I just wasn't planning on investing a dime into this motor since once it pops I'll be putting in a K20/24. It's on stock exhaust and stock muffler currently (with the cat gone from eating itself to bits). If I won't be allowed to participate again unless I make a modification, any suggestions are welcome.
Andrew Stach - SM STi #87 RIP - 2015 STM Elise
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

When I noticed it, I was told we didn't have the sound meter set up, so with no numbers to go on I didn't think I should bring it up.

The Lotus isn't that loud, but there is something about the resonance of the exhuast that really makes it ring out. You could hear the sound bouncing off the hill. It may be that your cat is gone, which isn't helping.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Jon Coatney is making some auger sumnother of a thing to go on the end of the exhaust that has worked well on his car IM him and he can get your exhaust size and make you one and I don't think they cost very much either.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

I'll make a few sizes. They just fit into the end and can be held in for a run or two by a small clamp. They can be bolted if someone wants them more permanent. $20 should cover them if someone wants one. I'm leaving them in mine, it was obnoxious without them.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

So I see that my car wasn't mentioned in this thread and nothing was said to me at the event.....but two people have mentioned to me today that I was over the limit. Anyone have any feedback there? Main reason I came out was to find issues before Dixie.
SSM 96/196
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

Eric, the notes should be in the trailer, but the runs I remember were 97, 98, and 101. I don't think you made it past the meter at full tilt on the other two. I don't know enough about using the meter to say how well it was positioned...I feel like it should've been halfway up the hill like it typically has been--most cars were barely breaking 80. I'd say your Miata may get even higher #s on another day.

I radio'ed it in, sorry the message didn't get relayed.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

Did it really sound that loud? from inside the car it doesn't really sound that much different than it did last year. But it is different for sure.
SSM 96/196
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Sounded a little strong to me.
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

Yep, it is loud for sure. I'd recommend a perforated core muffler and resonator combo. That's still straight-through with plenty of flow, but it really quietens it down.
Lucas Coleman STM #72