Trailer to rent

Discussions related to Solo
rocracing2004

Trailer to rent

Post by rocracing2004 »

Dear ETR family,

I have found myself where I am needing to rent a trailer for SCCA solo2 nationals in September. I have neve not had a trailer to take of my own so I have never had to ask this question. Mark and I will be going out to nationals this year and I am not even sure what day we will be going but I didn't know if there was anybody that would let us use their trailer to get to nationals for a fair price or not.

Thank you,
Robert Carpenter
TedV

Re: Trailer to rent

Post by TedV »

How good are the brakes on the tow vehicle? The trailer Pilson and I have been trading back n forth isn't going anywhere that week. But, the electric brakes are not working and the bearings might need repacked before a long trip. Not sure I could get all that serviced before y'all head out that way. :?

It's an option if you can't find one more up to date on service.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I will gladly help get the trailer ready to go if you all need me to as I will be going over my trailer once Jon gets done with fixing the front and adding a break away brake on it.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
Miata22

Post by Miata22 »

I've got a 20 ft car trailer you can use. Has winch mounted on front. Takes 2 5/16 ball. It's yours to use for free if you need it.
Randy Adkins
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

Ted and Randy,

Thank you and I will get with one of you guys. My truck is a F-250 and I haven't had brakes on my trailer for years so stopping the trailer isn't a problem with the light weight cars I have been running for years now. I need to talk with Mark to make sure we are on the same page on when we are heading out to Nationals. Thanks again!

Robert
Miata22

Post by Miata22 »

Ok no problem just let me know. Mines located in Powell just of Emory road.
Randy Adkins
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

Rob,

I have a pretty nice beaver tail trailer that I could sell you for $1100. i can send you pictures. Pilson & JY looked it over at Wilmington and said it's worth $1300-$1500 as it sits. We are upgrading to an Alumna 18 foot tilt because I am tired of dealing with ramps.

Brian
<>
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

Thanks Brian but I sold my trailer earlier this year so I am not in the market for another trailer right now, but I will keep it in mind. Sounds like a great price!

Thank you,
Robert
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

I might want it. PM sent.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Since I'm new to towing, I thought this might be a good thread to post in with some questions

1 - Do you guys register and tag your trailers? Since I'll be towing out of state, it seems like I should do this.
2 - Some laws I've read indicate that a fire extinguisher must be present on any trailer over 1500 lb gross.
3 - Looks like an electronic breakaway system is required on any trailer over 1500 lbs. Guess I need to do this.

Anything else I'm missing?
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I have a tag, but it is in my truck and Coatney is putting a breakaway system on my trailer as I type this and I think a fire extinguisher is a good idea since I know first hand what a fire can do to a car. I did get pulled over in GA. when I was going to get my GT500 and luckily I had a temp tag.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Yes, you need a tag if towing out of state. You used to be able to get a permanent tag for not much more than the standard renewable tag. Not sure if that is still the case.

Electronic breakaway braking is probably required but I almost never see them actually on trailers. They are definitely a good idea.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
integra55

Post by integra55 »

I thought that most states (Maryland being the major exception) honored other states requirements ? is that no longer the case ?
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

MARKP wrote:
Electronic breakaway braking is probably required but I almost never see them actually on trailers. They are definitely a good idea.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Yeah I downloaded the regulations. If you have trailer brakes, the breakaway system is required.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

I have a permanent trailer tag it's labelled "SEMI" and never had to be renewed. I just presented my title to the Trailer, paid my $50 or so dollars, don't remember the EXACT amount and now I have a tag that will allow me to tow out of state without any hassles. I also upgraded my lights to LED because many officers will pull people over for no trailer lights (or 'hard to see" lights) and while I love and support our Men and Women in Blue, i don't like talking to them on the side of the road.

I don't have a breakaway system but my trailer has electric brakes, seems like overkill to the max and I am a safety freak. The new Aluminum ones I am looking at all have breakaway systems.
<>