Trailer to rent

Discussions related to Solo
thrdeye

Re: Trailer to rent

Post by thrdeye »

I did some more research and it appears that Walter is correct. Other states can't cite you for not being tagged if it is not required in your state. Doesn't mean they won't be difficult about it though. http://www.countyclerkanytime.com/Tag_T ... ements.pdf

I don't have a title, so it may be a bigger PITA to try to register it than it would be to pay a fine if somehow i did get nailed.

The law doesn't mince words about the breakaway system though - http://tn.gov/assets/entities/safety/at ... NTSTAG.pdf
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

If the trailer doesn't have a number on it any where, just title it as a new trailer.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

You can do it as a home built, but it has to be inspected by someone.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
integra55

Post by integra55 »

thrdeye wrote:I did some more research and it appears that Walter is correct. Other states can't cite you for not being tagged if it is not required in your state. Doesn't mean they won't be difficult about it though. http://www.countyclerkanytime.com/Tag_T ... ements.pdf

I don't have a title, so it may be a bigger PITA to try to register it than it would be to pay a fine if somehow i did get nailed.

The law doesn't mince words about the breakaway system though - http://tn.gov/assets/entities/safety/at ... NTSTAG.pdf
Chris, you and I may be correct … but from everything I've ever heard … don't try this in Maryland … I know 2 that have had their trailers and all it's contents impounded … not sure how they worked it out in the end … but suffice to say they didn't make it to the race they were headed to
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
integra55

Post by integra55 »

thrdeye wrote:I did some more research and it appears that Walter is correct. Other states can't cite you for not being tagged if it is not required in your state. Doesn't mean they won't be difficult about it though. http://www.countyclerkanytime.com/Tag_T ... ements.pdf

I'm not sure how to go about it … but I've read that all you have to do is title it and tag it in Maine … even though you don't live there
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones

828-686-3245
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I think I'll just stay the F out of Maryland.
- Dave Disney
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I was always told by the Knox County Clerk people that if you were going out of state, a tag was required.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

I would just go get a tag because its a one time purchase. I ran a trailer for years with no tag but got pulled over in GA about not having a tag. You need one for the trailer if the state you are in requires it even if the state you are from requires it or not. Take it from me after spending more than a hour explaining that my state didn't require it he let me go but said if he saw me again he would take my trailer. The car on the trailer didn't have a current tag either. :D

ROC
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

I had this conversation last year when I borrowed a local trailer with no plates. I also didn't have his registration or anything. I was on edge the entire time to Peru. That's why I didn't borrow it for nationals ans had the u-haul debacle.
I know the new trailers are all staying to come with the batteries on them, but not sure about the breakaway systems.
I'll be shopping over the winter so I'm curious as well. Back in pa, you had to have plates on everything, so I'm used to it
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

If the trailer has brakes on it, then you are required to have the breakaway box on it. If the car on the trailer has a good tag on it, then they usually will not bother with pulling you over. However in Ga. they will pull you over if you have a trailer with no car on it and no tag on it, then yep I also know first hand that Ga. state troopers will pull you over.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
integra55

Post by integra55 »

did they ticket you ? or just harass you ?

walter jones

828-686-3245
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Luckily I had bought a 30 day temp tag that was made out of paper and no way to hang it on the trailer, so I just showed it to them and they ask where I was headed and I told them Fla. to pick up my new GT500 and they were like cool be safe.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
integra55

Post by integra55 »

darn … I mean, happy for you, but doesn't answer the question about other states respecting the rules/regulations from home state

walter jones

828-686-3245
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

You have a "pretty reasonable" case if you can state (factually) that your stuff is street legal in the state it's registered in - and you'd better be "right".

In the case of JY's rig (towed trailer in excess of 10,000lbs GVWR - Expedition, GT500, Miata) some states require commercial license + more (TX, Kalifornia, maybe others). http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

But if all your stuff is otherwise good in TN (including your Yes Sir/Ma'am, No Sir/Ma'am attitude) you're probably going to be Ok, most of the time.

But if you go lecturing them on (their) state laws, it's going to make for a long expensive trip...
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
integra55

Post by integra55 »

that's kinda what I thought … though all I've ever heard is bad things (impound) about Maryland … regardless where you're from, and what the laws/rules are in your home state

walter jones

828-686-3245