2016 Nationals

Discussions related to Solo
jcox07

Re: 2016 Nationals

Post by jcox07 »

Short on time since we just got home , right after run group 4 the announcers for that run group stated on the pa that they were going straight into run group 5 runs so SOME could get dry runs and it was also mentioned that the one that made the decision to start the runs was pulling for someone in that run group who would run first and early. I got a 85 percent dry run except for the last 3 elements and even though I would move up to 6 or 7th, I think they made the right call to throw out the earlier runs since it might have been a bias decision to start and they knew rain was 2 minutes away and should have waited but they didn't. I will post more later and I have a video of why we always will have a safety steward watching the runs as we do.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
steverife

Post by steverife »

dewittpayne wrote:
Gen52SS wrote:
dewittpayne wrote:Combined results are up, but several classes, including ESP and STS are under protest or appeal. It looks like the winning FS cars could have finished near the top in CAM-C. I hope Ruth takes notice for the 2017 PAX/RTP.

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/sc ... 1473519617
Must be them dammed 2016 camaro car's and the 1le has yet to compete.
The third place in FS 2015 Mustang was only 0.6 seconds behind first and there was also a BMW M3 in the top five. I'm thinking performance is almost purely tire limited, and both classes are running tires with similar performance. I suspect the Bridgestone RE-71R would be the better tire if it were the same size as the BFG Rival S. But it's not. Maybe the 305/30/19 will change the situation. I don't think it was available in time for the Nationals. You can put that size on a FS Mustang, but it's rather badly pinched. Jon Nwanagu ran that size Kumho on his FS Mustang, but he didn't go to the Nationals.
FWIW, the 3rd place car is an EB.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

JY,

That casts an entirely different light on the situation. I'll be very curious to see the results of the protest/appeal.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

That means a 3.55 rear axle ratio instead of the 3.73 in the GT. That would be a big advantage, IMO. I've also heard that not only does the EB develop more power on 93 octane gas, but yet more on higher octane, either race gas or using an MMT additive, or at least that's what Jon Lund said. It would be tempting to file a protest to inspect the spark plugs. MMT leaves a distinct reddish orange deposit on the plugs. It's possible that using MMT is legal, but I doubt it.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

steverife

Post by steverife »

I don't think there was any intent to screw people over. The announcers always push for people to get out to their work assignment. I was waiting to work the opposite course and was hanging out with Jed as he ran (5th place and a killer Friday, by the way). The announcer was talking about the forecast and how they were trying to get everyone a dry run in 5th heat.

The thing that I didn't get was instead of the typical lightning delay, they decided on an hour delay, which ended up being 2 hours. I can see why it seemed like a good idea for a do over, but I think it is a terrible precedent.

The whole last heat debacle left a really sour taste in what was a really tough nats for me.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

dewittpayne wrote:
That means a 3.55 rear axle ratio instead of the 3.73 in the GT. That would be a big advantage, IMO. I've also heard that not only does the EB develop more power on 93 octane gas, but yet more on higher octane, either race gas or using an MMT additive, or at least that's what Jon Lund said. It would be tempting to file a protest to inspect the spark plugs. MMT leaves a distinct reddish orange deposit on the plugs. It's possible that using MMT is legal, but I doubt it.
My old co-driver is the car owner. The EB has a lower redline, so it isn't much if any gearing advantage. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the car had 91 in it.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

The gearing is almost identical. The GT has a 3.73 rear axle and a 2.43 second gear. The EB Performance Package has a 3.55 and a 2.54 second gear. However, a Torsen diff isn't listed as being included in the Performance Package for the EB, so there's some question as to whether it's worth getting. If not, then the rear axle ratio is 3.31 and 20x9 inch wheels are an option. That would give you about 3mph higher speed in second gear than a GT. There is an RE-71R in 285/35/20 size, now anyway. I would be very curious to know exactly how that car was configured. Maybe Strano knows.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

steverife

Post by steverife »

I'm saying gearing in the context of autocross. I think Des told me the car ran out of 2nd at like 56 or 57 mph. They probably didn't shift on these courses, but they shift to 3rd a lot.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

That would be consistent with a 3.55 ratio and 275/35/19 tires on the 19x9 inch wheels that come with the Performance Package. Pretty much the same goes for the 2015+ GT. Learning how to shift up to 3rd and back to second comes with the territory.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

MARKP

Re: RE: Re: 2016 Nationals

Post by MARKP »

steverife wrote:
The thing that I didn't get was instead of the typical lightning delay, they decided on an hour delay, which ended up being 2 hours. I can see why it seemed like a good idea for a do over, but I think it is a terrible precedent.

The whole last heat debacle left a really sour taste in what was a really tough nats for me.
I was listening to an admin radio during the delay. Between getting certain people together for a meeting, looking at protests, stalling for lightning at inopportune times, and trying to get corners staffed again, there was a lot going on. It was busy but it could have been handled better, IMO.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Listening to all the chatter on the other forums... Holy cow. Between rain and the protests on that, and sts... That was a crazy end to nationals
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Btw...welcome home tip all of our weary nationals travelers.

Hope the drive back was uneventful
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

my never to be forgotten runs of 2016

Dry - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwAI4dqgJvI

Wet.. no, worse than wet.. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vFWt67LZus

However... I had a great time. off course! :lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

We had the best paddock of anyone at nats, we always had others stopping by rowdy row at the ETR hot spot. Looking forward to next year as JB is right we had a blast and ate better than anyone at nationals.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I'm a little surprised that the protests in BSL, STS, ESP and DP haven't been resolved yet, or at least the results haven't been updated if they have been.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C