New RX8 in the region, Cameron / Gray LaRose

Discussions related to Solo
BrianChevy

New RX8 in the region, Cameron / Gray LaRose

Post by BrianChevy »

We picked it up yesterday. Very clean interior (except for the 2 airbag deployments). Well cared for it seems from the Malibu Car Wash membership card and the oil change sticker.

Came with 18s (god awful plasti-dipped), Nexen tires with some life left in them, he's going to be looking for some very used RE71R or Rivals from somebody cheap.

Needs:
1- Crash bar
2- possible radiator, but not really sure yet
3- nose cone
4- lower lip / facia
5- windshield
6- stock radio
7- right side foglight

battery was almost dead, car crank over but hasn't fired yet. i expect the morons over at CoPart flooded it , which is a major problem with rotaries. we will do a compression check after we put a full charge on a battery to see. He's a poor ass college student, so this is going to be a SLOW project. Anybody who has ANYTHING that could even REMOTELY be useful for him, please let us know -- if you have anything you want to "Pay it Forward" for this car, PLEASE HOLLER AT ME, i will pick them up from you on one of my many trips.

overall, this car has been a "Dream Car" for cameron since he saw the 3rotors spitting fire at the Rolex24 at Daytona in 2005 Image

I'm happy for him, i think it's going to be fun. He is going to start in CStreet and go from there, so we need to get the car back to street.

It's a good day when your kid grows up enough & saves up enough money to buy his dream car, even if it's a $625 wrecked 2rotor Rx8. :)

he might be going in with Gray on 1/2 ownership so he can have some working capital to get it on the road again.
<>
Mark McCrary

Re: New RX8 in the region, Cameron / Gray LaRose

Post by Mark McCrary »

Awesome!!! I might be selling my 245/40/17 sometime in the near future. I will probably get a couple more events on them however. I will let you know what I am ready to sell them.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Sweet. Doesn't look too bad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

mark, he has 18 inch wheels on here (i don't know if they are stock from Mazda that way, still have to find THAT out)..

Thanks guys!
<>
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

yes, stock RX8 wheels are 18x8
Chris Harp
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

Ah, I thought stock was 17 oops, nevermind.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I run 17s
Chris Harp
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

IT's ALIVE... IT'S A RUNNING MOTOR.. WHEW!! MAJOR SIGH OF RELIEF. Now to get the radiator, hood and windshield replaced before ETR Points #2. I have a VERY VERY happy son.. He's out there in the garage working on it now. Point of Order to the Car guys and gals here -- Folks at a JunkYard probably don't understand rotaries enough, they FLOODED it, cameron and I did the DeFlood a 2nd time today with the air pump disconnected and on the 2nd try it fired up.... It also didn't hurt that it's a manual tranny. smile emoticon
<>
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Awesome. Should be pretty easy fix from here out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Chris Harp
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

we found a package deal in Atlanta with a hood, front bumper and crash bar for $175, going to get a radiator from rotary guys in morristown tomorrow.
<>
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Awesome.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

it's running and moving under it's own power... Not going to make points 2 in in, he has a radiator hose puncture (from the wreck) and needs a few other odds and ends before running it.. He's also a college student who has 2 exams and a project this week.

He'll probably drive the Camaro this week...
<>
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

Found a silver one a mile from home that some girl totalled on the Dragon 2 weeks ago. it was backed off the edge and into a tree at 40, so we bought the front end goodies.

We need to do some adjustments, repair the passenger headlight and find another passenger side foglight and then we'll be out there. We are considering running in Chattanooga later this season.

Curious if anybody has a passenger side foglight housing and perhaps a lower front valance (the black piece)
<>
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

that front valance - good luck.

I had to buy new from mazda. It was about $600 all said and done. I had to be stock class compliant though. If not for that, you could easily make something. It *is* an important piece though because it makes sure adequate airflow is making it to the radiator.
Chris Harp
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

Thanks for the heads up on the front valence.. we are going to keep looking. he wants to run CS to start, but will probably go DSP soon enough.. I am trying to convince a poor college student to stay stock and do the things that are stock legal first. he doesn't want to compete with the DSP folks because that's a loosing battle without wheelbarrow full of MONEY.

Edit: I should add, we paid $350 for the hood, crashbar, bumper, new air flow feed tube, driver's seatbelt and passenger side dash cover and airbag. Sure it was a lot of money, but it almost gets the car street legal for in the $1150 range all-in.
So THAT's pretty good.1
<>