Record day in ETR today !!

Discussions related to Solo
backpacker6

Re: Record day in ETR today !!

Post by backpacker6 »

90civichb wrote:Got some learning to do in the car for sure. I always thought I had the shoot down pretty good in my car but with more power I'm not near as brave as I once was. My runs were extremely inconsistent but it'll get better as the season progresses. If only some of you street guys would sell those 15s. I'm gonna have to flip these R1Rs for Smokey or I'll be on cords.
If you're interested, I'll be looking to get rid of my very decent 140tw R1R'S if I find or buy some 200tw tires for my miata.
-Brian Darby

PSTS 8
91 Miata
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

backpacker6 wrote:If you're interested, I'll be looking to get rid of my very decent 140tw R1R'S if I find or buy some 200tw tires for my miata.
Sent you a PM.

Got my video up from the event. Tried something a bit different with two different cameras and it compressed the hell out of the video. Not very satisfied with my editing software. Need to figure something else out if I plan overlay again.

I've got time to make up all over the course. The car just feels completely different now with all the torque. I am coasting so much, gotta grow a pair...and get my hair did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCSmIifFNlg
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Brakes would also be a good upgrade if you now have all that HP and Tor. Pelli kinda requires good brakes if you drive it in deep.......
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

jcox07 wrote:Brakes would also be a good upgrade if you now have all that HP and Tor. Pelli kinda requires good brakes if you drive it in deep.......
I went with some Hawk DTC-30s on larger 1.8L NA Miata rear brakes and some crappy Autozone pads up front (both on new blanks). I was going for more rear bias with the setup. I also don't have ABS in the car and the less aggressive front pad helps me not to flat spot my tires. I'll probably look into some stainless lines, better fluid, and make a master cylinder brace. If I still can't get it right a bias adjuster might be what in order.
Cody Yankey
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Brakes? on a Miata? Take them off to save weight :D
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I was about to say the same thing Harp... LOL!

seriously... and I mean this. If your worried about brakes on prolly any Miata except Erics... YOUR DOING IT ALL WRONG.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

You want to have some level of modulation you can handle before lock up and you want your car to not spin out when you think about braking and you want to not thump the car in front of you in line ...

If you've got those things in an STS'ish car, your brakes are good.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
TedV

Post by TedV »

What Rife said.

Brakes just slow you down.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

This is a boosted Miata and if you all think he don't need brakes, he better get some scuba gear or just coast down the chute at pelli......I haven't seen anyone that goes downhill with good speed not have to use the brakes except maybe Randy at this past event and I thought he was flipping or wrecking but managed to pull it off in a unboosted Miata about 70 mph he said, just think what a boosted Miata could hit down the chute....
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yeah, but it's a Miata. It's very light and you should be able to slow it down plenty just using factory components. If, when driving it, it feels like it's not slowing down enough, driver is either braking way too late, or lateral grip needs improving (either by setup or picking a better line) so that more speed could be carried into the turn. Cody is a good driver, so unless the brakes are broken, I'd say is comments about small marbles probably hold water.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

JB,

Ed Fisher told me on his blog to tell you that he updated his flood insurance before the event.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
steverife

Post by steverife »

You aren't really going to improve your braking performance in a non-ABS car on street tires, you will just lock up more and blow more turns that way.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

...and Randy's car was doing 70?!?!?!?!

No wonder I can't run with that.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

I'm not sure what speeds I hit going down the chute but when I was NA I would have it matted almost all the way to the end. I let up right after the crossover this last event with 1 hit on soft rev limit because I'm a big puss.

I think the stock Miata brakes are great but its like a 90/10 bias. I was having issues with rotating under hard braking. I went larger rear rotors with more aggressive pad and it stopped the rotation under heavy braking. Hell, I had this setup all last season with a more aggressive rear pad.
Last edited by 90civichb on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cody Yankey
steverife

Post by steverife »

Yeah, there is a lot you can do with bias with those cars and that is very important. I agree with that.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97