PLEASE READ! July 2017 SCCA National Autocross Festival Core Volunteers

Discussions related to Solo

Would you volunteer as a core worker for a 4-Day national autox festival at BMS?

Yes, could be there for entire event (Fri-Tues)
70%
Yes, could be there for the Match Tour (Fri [or Sat AM]-Sun)
15%
Yes, could be there for the Champ Tour (Sun Evening-Tues)
4%
I'm not interested in this kind of commitment
11%

Total votes: 27

thrdeye

PLEASE READ! July 2017 SCCA National Autocross Festival Core Volunteers

Post by thrdeye »

Hi everyone. As you probably know, things went really quite well with our first National event ever. Aside from some problems caused by the wind on Saturday, it probably couldn't have gone much smoother. Reviews of the site, course, and the event have been really great throughout the community.

We are still in the planning stages for 2017, and a lot of things will have to come together from several stakeholders for this to happen, but we have the opportunity to host what I am calling an "Autocross Festival" at BMS over the July 4th weekend in 2017. July 4 is on a Tuesday, and it's likely that many folks from across several regions would be able to use this opportunity to use only 1 or 2 vacation days and get two national events from it.

This event would be comprised of:

Friday: Test and Tune
Sat-Sun: Match Tour (Sat runs count for local points)
Mon-Tues: Championship Tour

There are positives and negatives to a 4-day festival. The biggest positive is that the lion's share of the work for an event like this falls into organizing, planning, and setup. So, we would get two events from almost the same amount of effort for those pieces.

The biggest negative is increased expense and time cost for drivers and volunteers from the Knoxville area.

These types of events happen from time to time. For example, this upcoming weekend is Spring Nationals in Lincoln, comprised of a ProSolo and a Champ Tour

Obviously, there are lots of moving parts in an event this big, but we are just trying to get a feel for the overall interest level. PLEASE VOTE IN THE POLL and comment with any additional feedback or concerns.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Re: PLEASE READ! July 2017 SCCA National Autocross Festival Core Volunteers

Post by jcox07 »

As we discussed at our Sunday meeting, this would be only ever 4-5 years that this falls in line where an event like a 4 day 2 event could occur. This as Chris has stated would not be much more for us to do than a one 2 day event would. The Monday and Tuesday champ tour would not be a local points event. I support this 100% and think it would be great for our region and hope it would be a step forward for etr to continue to keep getting national events.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Another couple of notes from the Sunday meeting:

If national SCCA schedules this sort of double event at Bristol, there won't be any other conflicting (national) events - for example, the DC national event was the same weekend as our national event this year - JY has been assured that will not happen for a 2017 Bristol 4-day event.

Just a couple of further details.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

How many locals do we need to pull this off? I'm assuming we need people that can take off work Friday and/or Monday (assuming they're off anyway on Tuesday the 4th).
- Dave Disney
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

disneyd wrote:How many locals do we need to pull this off? I'm assuming we need people that can take off work Friday and/or Monday (assuming they're off anyway on Tuesday the 4th).
My opinion - about 15-20 experienced people that can get us organized within their respective areas and have a plan for the weekend. I think we do need to have an event chair for each even though. If not, that one event chair is going to probably be overworked.

Now, with national events, you do have a larger pool of experienced people to pull from. Most of the work would be for our chiefs in making sure the positions that would be running most of the weekend would be covered. For example, waviers all weekend, tech and check-in on Sunday for the Champ Tour the next two days, etc. It is important to note that all of the chiefs DO NOT have to come from the local region, but the event chair would need to help assemble chiefs for each event.

But yes, with days off, most people see these kind of events as a good bang for the buck. Two days of vacation for the possibility of double contingency is a pretty big draw for a lot of drivers.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

It's way too far out for me to think about, let alone commit tip anything.
Last edited by ConeEater on Mon May 23, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Once the event starts the waiver table is assigned as a work assignment by the national worker jerk, but we would be responsible for it on Friday all day. For the most part Friday would be our busy day.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I'm in for the full event, barring unforeseen circumstances beyond my control. Being able to stay at home for a National event, much less two, is a big plus for me.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

dewittpayne wrote:I'm in for the full event, barring unforeseen circumstances beyond my control. Being able to stay at home for a National event, much less two, is a big plus for me.
I feel the same as Dewitt...I'm in for the full event. Test and Tune tickets on Friday and fine with getting a registration team when ever needed. I can't get to a lot of National events do to some medical issues I can't travel hundreds of miles so for me this is a no brainer. Being retired has some advantages but I also understand others who work jobs and can't get 4 or 5 days off work or other commitments to step up and volunteer. I think given the time we have August or September for a commitment would be needed....finding 15 or 20 key people to run these events should not be that hard. I think we have enough people with a good idea of what's going on to step in and help. I think this is doable. The location of Bristol and GOOD PROMOTION of this event should handle any issues with not enough entries going to make this a profitable 5 days for the club. YES...it's a big commitment but the payoff could be huge and the FUN could be fantastic. I'm ready to get started now.... Image Ha Ha no this is dark beer... not chocolate milk.
Last edited by Gen52SS on Mon May 23, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I will add that this is a good opportunity for those that may be tired of course working to step up and learn a new discipline. We have a whole year to get you trained and up to speed before you get thrown to the wolves. :-) Honestly, I was not one of the designated chiefs for the Match Tour we had a couple of weeks ago but I did sit in on the meeting. Anyone that is interested can handle this with some training.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
steverife

Post by steverife »

I just can't commit to anything with my current work schedule. I voted no, but I probably could do the Monday/Tuesday part. Friday would be out. Saturday would be unlikely.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
ddillow

Post by ddillow »

This fits in with my usual summer trip back to Knoxville, so I can probably work the entire event. Of course, now Shana will pick next summer to go to Hawaii instead...
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Mr. Dillow, it would be great to see you again and especially good to see you autoxing with us again.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
joker717

Post by joker717 »

I can help in any way during the match tour, but unfortunately unless something changes between now and then I have mandatory work on all holidays (except Thanksgiving and Christmas) as well the weekdays leading up to it. Wish I could help the entire time though :cry: .
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98
timray

Post by timray »

Sounds like a "Racecation" to me! Count on us to work anywhere you need us.