Never Rally'd before, Interested. Questions

Discussions related to Rallycross
essdubyacowabunga

Never Rally'd before, Interested. Questions

Post by essdubyacowabunga »

Hello all, I have been very curious about rally cross most of my life and most recently i was reading an article on Jalopnik about rallyx'ing a GTI and how much fun it was, and I thought well hell I have a '16 GTI and that sounds like hella fun.

Im in SWVA and not too far from where it looks like your upcoming events are being held. I have a few questions though.

1) is it an absolutely insane idea for me to rallyx a '16 GTI, in other words how thrashed is the car going to get if i weren't planning on doing it more than a couple of times an year?
2) are the tracks typically gravel or dirt or a combination in this club? I have seen videos of both.
3)How well attended are these events?
4)Is it as fun as i imagine? hahah i have always grown up having fun sliding around when it snows and getting sideways on gravel roads.

Thank in advance.
thrdeye

Re: Never Rally'd before, Interested. Questions

Post by thrdeye »

It's VERY fun. The course is dirt. Usually attendance is under 20, meaning you'll get a lot of seat time.

With this said, I will not rallycross something if I wasn't prepared to accept some minor damage. Think things like finder liners, front lips, rear bumpers, smal paint scratches. Plastic panels can get knocked off or damaged pretty easily in rallycross. This is just my stance on rallycross. Many times, the car will come out of the event completely unscathed, but sometimes it may not. Anytime I have rallycrossed has been in someone else's (older) car.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
joker717

Post by joker717 »

They also have a Facebook page Rally cross Knox you can find some pictures and other like minded people there.
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

I would prefer to do it in an older "beater" car versus a nearly brand-new one, personally. Especially one with a plastic oil pan.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I agree with all of the above. Also, all of us that have commented either have rallycrossed very little or not at all. :-) maybe Sean or Greg will chime in. They are the leaders of the group.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

I also have a 16 GTI. No way would I rally cross it. Too new and it sits too low. YMMV.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
essdubyacowabunga

thank you all for your responses thus far. I understand that there were be risk of damaging the bumpers and stuff I was just curious how much damage most people have experienced in their cars. It just looks like a shit load of fun and ive seen a few articles about people rallycrossing their newer civics and a newer GTI and im not sure if im prepared to risk the damage or not, mainly for money reasons haha.
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Autocross it :rockon:
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

They actually make great autocross cars, not to try to drag you away from RallyX.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
essdubyacowabunga

@Gen25SS @MARKP i have considered doing autocross as well, just was had less questions about that than autox hahah thank you all
TedV

Post by TedV »

Go look under your car at all the fragile things that may contact the ground. Ruts do form and things will contact. Oil pan is prime concern.

I had the chance to buy a Mini Cooper with both electronic and quaife limited slip differential. It would have been the fastest Stock Front car out there until it broke. Notice I said until. There were too many low hanging plastic components. One decent sized rock bouncing into it would be the end of it.

For the daily driver, I say autocross it and find something else to rallycross.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

Off-topic, these things have a cool plastic drain plug as well. The old metal drain plug with a crush washer would leak if you let it get even slightly off-center while installing. The plastic ones have an o-ring and just snap into place. I don't think I've seen one leak yet.

The core support, or "lock carrier" as VW calls it, is also plastic on these. I don't want to scare you, just make you aware.

A GTI would be really fun for autocross. I think they fall in GS if they're stock.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
tauntaun

Post by tauntaun »

Hey, a regular rallycrosser chiming in here. I rallycross a Subaru Impreza, 1999 - stock is about 6" of ground clearance but the oil pan is somewhat up and away from the crossmembers and whatnot.

We are pretty low on rocks up at the Tazewell site other than small gravel bits, but I will tell you it can get a little rutted and bumpy especially in the upper section. Most of the course is smooth and getting smoother but there are still bumpy sections.

If I were in your shoes, I'd come and ride along - judge for yourself the bumps and wear and tear. FWIW I've never broken anything and drive 100 miles each way to events in my daily driving car. The worst damage I've ever suffered is mud packing in the bumper and fenders to the point of making the plastic liners sag a bit and bottoming out suspension a few times. I see that the GTI has 5.0 inches of ground clearance which should be okay for our course, but again - I'd come ride along and see what you think. It's a blast!
Sam Cafferty - #42

2001 Subaru Impreza L wagon (RS 5MT, Legacy Turbo suspension) - the "2.2RS" RIP 06-01-16
1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport - Stock AWD
1998 BMW 318ti Sport - H Street
TedV

Post by TedV »

If you want to put a motor in a 2001 Honda EX the girlfriend will sell hers for $500 ish. As a note, when you are stuck in mud, and the course workers are yelling at you to "KEEP IT REVVED" ... don't.... just don't... Listen to the ole wise guy who is yelling " STOP AND PULL IT OUT!!!!". Honda comes with SCCA RAllycross window decal and cool golfball effect body. It's claim to fame was front page of the Maryville Times to sum up the hail storm. Fresh shocks and replaced front A-arm bushings. Cold AC and fresh cabin filter right before the motor went knocka knocka knock.

A motor in a 2001 Honda will be cheaper than the damage you will do to a new VW. By the way. I'm a VW nut. There are a short list of VW's I would rallyX but they would have strategic reinforcement to survive. Look at the picture Lucas posted. Yes the course is getting smoothed out, but if you go off course, there be daemon ditches hidden in the grass. I can place a car where I want it and I wouldn't run a new VW.

By all means, go to the event, get some ride a longs in the passenger seat. Don't be shy, announce you would love to get a ride. There will have loaner helmets if you don't have one of your own. Get a feel for it. make plans. welcome to the addiction.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
SeanDrives4Fun

Post by SeanDrives4Fun »

Sorry im late to the party i do agree with everything posted. Autocross that baby Sunday at Smokeys and come see me in three weeks +/- with a $700 Miata lol if you any questions text is great at 865 458-4567 or fb at RallyCrossKnox and ETRSCCARALLYCROSS

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Rally Boss