Rallycross

Discussions related to Rallycross
04Baja

Rallycross

Post by 04Baja »

Knoxville Rallycross dates. All events will be held at the Redneck Resort.

March 30th

April 20th

May 18th depending on auto x school

June 15th and 16th Dixie Challenge

July 20th Possible Iron Man Weekend

August 24th

September 21st

NO events in October due to National Championship in Oklahoma

November 16th

December 14th

:rockon:
Richard Lawrence
RALLYCROSS Chairman
04 SUBARU BAJA TURBO
91 SUBARU LEGACY TURBO
Smoky Mountain Rally Car on Facebook
04Baja

Re: Rallycross

Post by 04Baja »

All dates are subject to change.

There is a gate fee of $25 to enter the Redneck Resort ( Drivers and Spectators )
To Race it is an additional $15 for SCCA members and for non members an additional $25.

So if you are a scca member you will need $40 cash to enter and compete in the rallycross.
If you are not an scca member you will need $50 cash to compete in the rallycross.

I will be talking with the owner of the resort to see if i can get discounted gate fees for spectators but for now it is $25 for anyone coming in.
Richard Lawrence
RALLYCROSS Chairman
04 SUBARU BAJA TURBO
91 SUBARU LEGACY TURBO
Fuelrush

Post by Fuelrush »

I hope they work with you for spectators. I really enjoyed watching the first one. I won't be able to go at that rate. $50 for me and the wife to watch is steep. Were were there for a short period of time also. I also think it will hurt people who are interested in driving but want to come and watch before leaping. That's what I did with autocross.
Justin Dougherty
2006 Lotus Exige
2002 Honda S2000 #15 STR (Sold but not forgotten)
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

Yeah, at that price point, you are not going to get a ton of interest, I wouldn't think.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
04Baja

Post by 04Baja »

I am working on pricing at least for spectators but I wont hear back till mid next week.
Richard Lawrence
RALLYCROSS Chairman
04 SUBARU BAJA TURBO
91 SUBARU LEGACY TURBO
Josh_McCRX

Post by Josh_McCRX »

I do not see much success with these rates.

Maybe $25 a car load but per head is rediculous. An overall driver fee of $45 is not that bad though if you really want to be involved in the sport.
I have spoke to a lot of people who came to spectate at the last one. None of them plan to attend because of the costs. Also, I know that Amber and I do not intend to come and shoot the events unless we do not have to pay to get in. We will not be spending $50 do come cover/promote an event.

With my experience. Lower rates = More spectators = More money on things like this.

East10Drift events are only $10 per adult and $7 per kid 10 and under. With these rates we have had major success with spectators, last event over 800... Not to mention it is much more entertaining to watch and it isn't out in BFE. Also, as photographers Amber and I do not spend a dime to get in.

This needs to be promoted more and needs to be made a little more attractive to the spectators for a good amount of people to come and spend their money to get in and watch.

Just my $0.02...
Josh McCoig

1995 Honda Civic Si - STM/SMF 23
2004 Honda Element EX 4WD - Adventurer
04Baja

Post by 04Baja »

Oh yea your 100% right and I hace been aware of it. I am trying to comprise with the owner. Photographers and sponsors will be no charge either way.
Richard Lawrence
RALLYCROSS Chairman
04 SUBARU BAJA TURBO
91 SUBARU LEGACY TURBO
Josh_McCRX

Post by Josh_McCRX »

Awesome. I hope you can work something out.
Josh McCoig

gambit4000s

Post by gambit4000s »

I know Richard has been working diligently just to get a site for the Mar 30 event, and I thank him for it.

Josh, I see your point but ETD also has;
a Driver fee of ~100$
7 events to build an audience/exposure
multiple corporate sponsors (myself included)
no institutional advertising restrictions
event site operated by the city
multiple revenue streams
cultural "hipness"

There are similarities, but RX vs ETD is not an apples to apples comparison
Adam Tegethoff

Four rings covered in mud
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

My concern is not necessarily spectators, but family members that accompany participants. If someone is coming out to run but then they have to pay $25 per family member, that will kill the program.

A participant needs to be able to bring one adult and unlimited children at no charge.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Josh_McCRX

Post by Josh_McCRX »

I was using E10D as an example, not a standard.

Drifting and Rally, for the most part, have two different spectator groups. I wouldn't expect it to hit that point.

I know he is working hard but the owner of RR are a little money hungry... I understand... it is business.

I'm with Harp on the family members part.
Josh McCoig

steverife

Post by steverife »

Yeah. I hope the spectator thing gets sorted out. I'd like to at least watch one, but not at $25. I can go to pro sporting events for less than that.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Rotorsaurus Rex

Post by Rotorsaurus Rex »

I'm okay with the entry cost. It's more than autocross, but you get more seat time out of it. I too hope the spectator cost can be worked out. It would be nice to be able to bring a crew member, and it's uplifting to have a crowd out there for support. I think the Redneck Resort will find that 5 bucks a head x 50 people is way better than $25 x 0 people. Other than that, it's a great site. I hope we can keep it.

Thanks Richard for all the hard work you've put into this!
Jimi Groce

SM/MR 1985 Mazda RX-7
SM 1988 Mazda RX-7 Convertible Turbo
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

thrdeye wrote:My concern is not necessarily spectators, but family members that accompany participants. If someone is coming out to run but then they have to pay $25 per family member, that will kill the program.

A participant needs to be able to bring one adult and unlimited children at no charge.
Maybe sell this as a "crew" allowance, which is typical of some other racing promotions.

I have no problem with the cost/driver as it's within the realm of reasonable compared to other motorsports event costs (slightly higher than autocross, but also slightly fewer entrants typically).

If there is a gate fee, you'll also want to arrange media/sponsor passes to keep things legit.

I think a lower gate fee....like $5, plus offering some service that people would pay for (food, drinks, etc) would be a friendlier way to raise revenue. Otherwise, I think it's an issue of some money vs. no money when no one shows up to watch because $$$
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

Wow. $25.
I came out last time just to help since I knew there as a limited number or drivers and I did grid so I didn't get to watch too much.
I am not going to pay $25 to help or too just watch.
That's just me. :shock:
YMMV.
Paul
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy