TIre question

Discussions related to Rallycross
nicksta43

TIre question

Post by nicksta43 »

I'm going to be running in MR and I am looking for some tire advice from people who have ran in the soil type we'll have at the Redneck resort.

Currently I'm limited to 13" wheels. I have a selection of winter tires available but only in a 175mm tread width.

I'm worried that will be a disadvantage if the course is like hardpack or even if it's wet and sloppy.

The only other option at this point is to get a tire groover and go to town on some all seasons.

I have no experience at this so any help would be appreciated.
Nick Comstock
1980 BMW 320i- 21 STM
gambit4000s

Re: TIre question

Post by gambit4000s »

Since you are in Modified (or Prepared) You can use "Race" (Non-DOT) tires if you can find them in your sizing.
Grooving is allowed in P and M
RR seems to be mostly loose topsoil and red clay.
If it is wet, I would use a directional V-type tread snow tire, as opposed to a block style.

VS

I wouldn't benefit from this (AWD classes) but I have wondered if a Rib style steer tire would be advantageous in RWD classes, they worked really well in very loose conditions on RC cars back in the day

Adam Tegethoff

Four rings covered in mud
JSturg19

Post by JSturg19 »

Winter tires are definitely the best bet for rallycross and since it's 13" it would be pretty difficult to find rally specific tires. The sipes in most snow tires will be extremely helpful when the track gets packed in (most dirt teams sipe tires in packed conditions). In dry conditions the block pattern tires would do well because the surface could be a little loamy even during the end of the day. Like Adam said the v-pattern winter tire will be great if the event turns out like the last one and are very slick and muddy. Just curious but have you hit up the MotorsportsReg page?
nicksta43

Post by nicksta43 »

No I haven't. The car wont be ready for the 30'th I hope to be ready for the April event.
Nick Comstock
1980 BMW 320i- 21 STM
Rotorsaurus Rex

Post by Rotorsaurus Rex »

I ran a directional type of snow tire (General Altimax Arctic) like the one pictured above at the first event. They weren't much help in the wet morning mud. Cornering was decent but getting moving was a challenge. I had to be pushed uphill to grid at one point. They were fantastic later on when it dried up more. Revving high and spinning the mud out of the rear helped a lot. Of course you don't wanna do that in the paddock :) This was on a MR first gen RX-7.
Jimi Groce

SM/MR 1985 Mazda RX-7
SM 1988 Mazda RX-7 Convertible Turbo
slowautoxr

Post by slowautoxr »

I believe an aggressive tread pattern is more important than tire size. On my stock Impreza my good winter tires are nearly new Hankook iPike's - which are or are very similar to the 1st pic above.

With RWD, you need a limited slip differential and absolutely have to maintain momentum when things get slick.
Charles
SEDIV RallyCross Steward