lotus 7

Discussions related to Rallycross
thewelder

lotus 7

Post by thewelder »

Would a lotus seven clone be legal for rallyX. I have wanted to build one for years. I don't think I would autocross it since I have the AM. I would like to play with it sometimes( track days, shows, and car club event. Thanks chad
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
SeanDrives4Fun

Re: lotus 7

Post by SeanDrives4Fun »

I don't think so, i wanted to make a buggie out of Abby my 99 Miata and we couldn't use her in Rally. Everything even in modified is a body of a production vehicle.
Rally Boss
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

The lotus is a production vehicle. You can still buy them. I would build a clone because I can't afford a real one. Would a 427 cobra clone be legal? I would think it would be.
*Chad Summey*

JSturg19

Post by JSturg19 »

If you did it as a hard top then it would be legal.The one stipulation is that it must be a hard top and have windows or window nets
TedV

Post by TedV »

Convertibles usually have to have a hard top installed. However, some Sevens were sold with roll cage frames. I personally wouldn't have a problem with a full cage, closed face helmet and arm restraints. The SCCA rules demand window nets if no window on the side and a net if no sunroof in the roof opening area. I would say to be sure we need to email some of the national safety folks. The 427 cobra would need the Daytona coupe top to be legal, like how a Miata needs a hard top. Conversations about sand rails/buggies have seemed to indicate no to them, but a Baja Beetle with the hard top body is OK. There is some rumors these rules might be opening up for UTV's and the like but that wont be discussed until this springs National convention, if at all. Yes, I am trying to go the to convention.

If you really really want to know, I could start sending some emails. As of right now, there needs to be some official clarification on the letter of the rules before we could say, "yes" to a Seven.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I think rallycross in either of those would be pure pain. They spin easily enough on pavement.

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

I want to build one but I need to finish the AM first. I will do some checking on the lotus. Thanks
*Chad Summey*

disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

They're pretty neat, but I wouldn't recommend one for RallyX. For one thing, there's no ground clearance unless you want to really jack with the suspension geometry. The one I built was based off Champion's design. There used be a good cad file out there that was a "modified" version that fixed some of the cutting errors in Champion's book.

If I ever build another (probably will), I will use an independent rear suspension. I built my first with a solid axle and that was a mistake for autocross (or the street if you ask me). You REALLY need the suspension adjustment capabilities that come along with an independent setup.
- Dave Disney
na6r

Post by na6r »

IIRC, the 7, while a production car. Is still a tube frame car. I dont think the rules allow tube frame cars.
Pat
Found an MF car
TedV

Post by TedV »

In modified as long as the car looks like the original, folks can look at it and tell it is a Lotus 7, then it is fine. The ground clearance and suspension travel would be interesting to solve.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

I would build it mainly to play around on the street with. It would be fun to rally cross it some. I would also track day it but mainly just want to beat the crap out of it and have fun with two people instead of just one.
*Chad Summey*