Wheels and tires

Discussions related to Rallycross
troubletown

Wheels and tires

Post by troubletown »

I've got a noob question. I've got a 2005 Evo with some kind of ridiculous wheels for show :rockon: which probably weigh 80 pounds each, and they're wrapped in Conti ExtremeContact tires. Probably the worst set-up imaginable for rallycross. I'm fully intending to have a hilariously bad showing at the first event this weekend.

Here's the question: What's a good setup these days? I did some clicking around on TireRack and found the RPF1 wheels which seemed nice and light, and I could wrap them in some Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 tires. Is this a good idea? I am an autocrosser from a few years back and don't know if flex is preferable in a wheel in dirt/mud/whatever, or if you want the strongest and lightest wheel possible, etc. Any input is appreciated! I know it's subjective to a degree, but the basics are still elusive to me. Thanks!

Edit: I think the class I am running in would be "Modified AWD". The car has a re-mapped ECU and turbo-back exhaust, different intake, and a couple of pounds more boost, but nothing particularly aggressive. It would be STU legal if it was an autocrosser.
JSturg19

Re: Wheels and tires

Post by JSturg19 »

Casey, If you are in prepared or modified, the hot setup is by far rally tires. If you want to stick with something more reasonable then I'd go with something like a Firestone Winterforce or another aggressive winter tire.
troubletown

Post by troubletown »

JSturg19 wrote:Casey, If you are in prepared or modified, the hot setup is by far rally tires. If you want to stick with something more reasonable then I'd go with something like a Firestone Winterforce or another aggressive winter tire.
Thanks! I didn't realize rally tires were legal. And yes, I think "Prepared AWD" is the correct class for my car. Looks like I'll be shopping for those!
Jek

Post by Jek »

I'd also strongly consider the strength of the wheels. I love RPF1's, but they're not super cheap and light so probably not as strong as a heavy OEM type wheel and might get bent. If I were you, I'd find a cheap set of Evo OEM wheels and slap winter tires (or rally tires I guess, for Prep AWD) on them. Lots of Evo drivers get rid of them, so spares are abundant, and they're cheap if you bang one up.

I still haven't decided if RallyX is tougher or easier on wheels than a track day...its more bumpy, but also a more compliant surface, so who knows? But I do think the minor 0.1 second gaining performance improvements we look for in AutoX just don't exist in the same form in RallyX...in other words, the wheel weight might not matter so much.
David Black
Johnson City, TN
'97 BMW M3 - STU 48
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

:mrgreen:
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
troubletown

Post by troubletown »

Jek wrote:I'd also strongly consider the strength of the wheels. I love RPF1's, but they're not super cheap and light so probably not as strong as a heavy OEM type wheel and might get bent. If I were you, I'd find a cheap set of Evo OEM wheels and slap winter tires (or rally tires I guess, for Prep AWD) on them. Lots of Evo drivers get rid of them, so spares are abundant, and they're cheap if you bang one up.

I still haven't decided if RallyX is tougher or easier on wheels than a track day...its more bumpy, but also a more compliant surface, so who knows? But I do think the minor 0.1 second gaining performance improvements we look for in AutoX just don't exist in the same form in RallyX...in other words, the wheel weight might not matter so much.
Excellent! I appreciate the info there. It appears that rally tires don't exist in the sizes that will clear my brakes for the Evo without a "small brake conversion" for the front, so it looks like winter tires may be my only option anyhow. Maybe I'll content myself with picking up factory Evo wheels, wrapping them in winter tires, and focusing on technique -- at least until I have a full season under my belt.
benk

Post by benk »

thrdeye wrote:Image

:mrgreen:
White wheels on a rally car make it go faster ya know. :D
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
TedV

Post by TedV »

troubletown wrote:
Jek wrote:I'd also strongly consider the strength of the wheels. I love RPF1's, but they're not super cheap and light so probably not as strong as a heavy OEM type wheel and might get bent. If I were you, I'd find a cheap set of Evo OEM wheels and slap winter tires (or rally tires I guess, for Prep AWD) on them. Lots of Evo drivers get rid of them, so spares are abundant, and they're cheap if you bang one up.

Excellent! I appreciate the info there. It appears that rally tires don't exist in the sizes that will clear my brakes for the Evo without a "small brake conversion" for the front, so it looks like winter tires may be my only option anyhow. Maybe I'll content myself with picking up factory Evo wheels, wrapping them in winter tires, and focusing on technique -- at least until I have a full season under my belt.
x2 as long as the wheels are straight-ish ( not too out of round) it doesn't matter what they look like. A little curb rash can get the wheels at a cheaper price, they will be covered in dirt. 15" rally tires are the most plentyful of the rally specific tires.

The loose nut driving the car makes the biggest difference on time, after that is equipment.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's