Rookie Questions: oh God be gentle

Discussions related to Rallycross
atltaco

Rookie Questions: oh God be gentle

Post by atltaco »

Hello Y'all,
I was interested in attending the upcoming RallyX at the speedway. I have a 4wd Toyota Tacoma with aftermarket struts and springs that lift the vehicle 2 inches above stock. What class would I fall into? Also considering the vehicles ability to run in 2wd or 4wd could I enter in both categorizes? Thanks in advance.
benk

Re: Rookie Questions: oh God be gentle

Post by benk »

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe your truck is eligible to run due to concerns about a high center of gravity and the chance of a rollover. Generally SCCA only allows traditionally considered cars to run. There are SOME exceptions that allow smaller trucks that have been lowered to run, but not something that has been lifted.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
Jek

Post by Jek »

RallyX is a bit different than AutoX. There are no rules in the rule book about specific vehicles. All the rule book says is:
6.1 ELIGIBLE VEHICLES (Mandatory for all SCCA sanctioned RallyCross events. See Article 4.1)

A RallyCross event is open to any fixed-roof production based vehicle (including convertibles with a factory hardtop attached, targa-types with factory panel in place, t-tops with factory panels in place) that can pass safety inspection. If the Event Chairman after consultation with the Event Safety Steward determines at his discretion that a vehicle cannot safely negotiate the course, it may be excluded.
The key thing is that it is up to the discretion of the event chair and event safety steward. If your truck wasn't lifted, it would be fine. The 2" lift is where the question is...there are videos and stories of lifted 4WD trucks being fine, and there are also videos and stories of them being rolled. You don't have to pay in advance, so I'd recommend signing up and coming out, and have the event chair and safety steward look at your truck in person. If you can't run, you don't have to pay, and you can probably get some rides from other drivers at least :)

You would be in Prepared AWD or Prepared RWD, depending on whether you want to run in 4H or 2H. Or 4L, if you want us in the scoring area to have a nice relaxing time while you negotiate the course ;)
David Black
Johnson City, TN
'97 BMW M3 - STU 48
TedV

Post by TedV »

The roll over potential is the concern. The rule of thumb I've been given is if it is taller than wide is a good indication. I also usually search a vehicle history for rollovers, like Suzuki Sidekick, Isuzu Trooper/Rodeo, etc. I know Jeep Cherokee have run without issue. There have been some cars roll at autoX and rallyX like rabbits, mini, 3series BMW, but usually have some extenuating circumstances.

Would you be fine with it if you rolled it? Does it feel in any way top heavy on the street? Chances are the field will be more slick than grip this weekend.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
atltaco

Post by atltaco »

She has never given an inclination of going on two wheels. The suspension is stiff with very little body roll. It is a single cab 4 banger even though it does have lots of ground clearance the center of gravity is quite low considering the lack of weight existing above the frame/drive-train. I drive it like a Miata on pavement and off-road to the limit often and never have had any reservations about tipping.
gambit4000s

Post by gambit4000s »

Assuming the truck is stable and not at high risk of rollover, SCCA Rallycross Rules 2014 Edition Article 6.2.D.8 & 6.2.D.8.b would IMHO exclude the truck from Prepared category, due to longer springs and struts and would need to run in a Modified category.

I seem to remember mid '00's rx rules specifically prohibiting lifted trucks and SUVs, but IIRC this was at a time SCCA was specifically targeting trucks and SUVs for competition. You may want/need to consult Charles Wright or National Board.
SCCA Rallycross Rules 2014 Edition Article 6.2.D.8 wrote:Any dampers may be used. Damper attachment points on the body/frame/subframe/chassis/suspension member may not be altered. This installation may incorporate an alternate upper spring perch/seat and/or mounting block (bearing mount). No damper may be capable of adjustment while the car is in motion, unless fitted as original equipment. MacPherson strut equipped cars may substitute struts, and/or may use any insert. This does not allow unauthorized changes in suspension geometry or changes in attachment points (e.g., affecting the position of the lower ball joint or spindle). Threaded collars and camber plates are allowed.
SCCA Rallycross Rules 2014 Edition Article 6.2.D.8.b wrote:Springs may be replaced, but they must be of the same type and use original mounting points.
Source = http://www.scca.com/assets/2014%20Rally ... 0Rules.pdf
Adam Tegethoff

Four rings covered in mud
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

That vehicle is rated as a 4 star out of 5 by safecar.gov in rollover. At least as good as Will's BMW.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
benk

Post by benk »

scottgib wrote:That vehicle is rated as a 4 star out of 5 by safecar.gov in rollover. At least as good as Will's BMW.
Do they take dirt/mud racing into account with that rating?
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH