New to the area, interested in joining

Discussions related to Rallycross
ZackE

New to the area, interested in joining

Post by ZackE »

Hi all,

I just relocated to Bristol (VA side) and have been trying to get involved in rallycross for a while. With your new site being so close to where I live it seems like the perfect time to jump in! I am new to sanctioned Rallycross but I did my research and plan to get a SCCA membership before the next event. My wife and I have 2 cars, but our 07 ford focus has enough miles and problems that I finally have spouse approval to take it out on the dirt.

Couple questions, I'm wondering if showing up in my FWD 07 focus sedan is acceptable? Not planning on setting any records, just meeting some people and trying out the sport.

Also, am I correct in thinking all I need to bring is a helmet, membership card, money and snacks?

Looking forward to the next event and meeting some of the folks here!

--Zack
thrdeye

Re: New to the area, interested in joining

Post by thrdeye »

Zack, all of what you posted is correct. Your car will be fine! If you can get access to some tires with really good tread depth then that would be good. If not, again, you won't be setting any records anyway.

One thing I'd recommend - bring something to clean up with (your body) and a change of clothes and shoes. Interior of car will get a bit dirty too, so just be prepared there.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TedV

Post by TedV »

Give the car a once over to make sure it's mechanically sound. Battery tied down good. The field is a little bumpy in spots. I don't think there are any low hanging vulnerable parts dangling below a Focus.

If you have no mods to the Focus, stock FWD is the class. Like Chris said, some decent tread tires and you are good to go. Right now snow tires like the Winterforce on stock wheels, aluminum or steel, are the best for Stock. Dana and I ran the 99 Neon in PF on the snow tires the car came with at the last event.

Welcome!!

I'm working on the paperwork for out second event, tentative for June 11
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

The only thing I will add is be sure your helmet is Snell 2005 rated or newer. There are some other ratings that are acceptable but I can't remember them off the top of my head. A simple DOT rating isn't enough. We do have loaner helmets available if you need one.

Welcome to the fun!
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
ZackE

Post by ZackE »

Thanks all for the timely response and words of welcome!

I have been looking for an excuse to get a better helmet anyhow so I will make a point of getting SNELL 2005 or newer. The car is in good shape mechanically just little stuff like the upholstery is getting worn out, one of the doors doesn't lock, that sort of thing.

Tragically I will be out of town on June 11th so I might not make it out until the following event, but I'll keep lurking around the forum until I make it out there.