While Some of You Were at Dixie...[24 hrs of LeMons content]

Discussions related to SCCA Road Racing, Time Trials, and PDX.
TennTechMan

While Some of You Were at Dixie...[24 hrs of LeMons content]

Post by TennTechMan »

While some of you guys were dodging cones in Cecil, the Knoxvegas Lowballers were dodging other Lemons (and connecting rods) in Kershaw at CMP.

Gary, Seanan, and Jordi drove out Thursday night with the Geo to get us a good paddock spot, and get started tech'ing the new build. Me and the other drivers arrived Friday afternoon. We arrived just in time for BS judging. The judges accepted our bribes, and awarded us 0 BS laps. The tech guys didn't think our cage was quite strong enough, so we had to do some on-site welding Friday night.

First thing Saturday morning, we got through tech inspection with our mod'ed roll cage. Gary took the wheel first. We were on and off the track a lot in the morning checking fluids, and generally making sure the car wasn't falling apart. After a little scare of potential over-heating, we were able to put down a few laps. The next issue that arose was our fuel cell. Apparently, we need a more hi-tech fuel holding device. We have a 16 gal cell, and after 5 gallons have burned off, the fuel starving begins. Pitting every 5 gallons of fuel was OK for a first race, but that's going to be an issue if we ever hope to be competitive.

A couple other little issues popped up, and were solved quickly. Later in the afternoon, a bigger problem came up. Seanan came in after hearing a noise coming from the engine. We did a little diagnostics, and couldn't find anything. We sent him back out find the problem. 3/4 of a lap later, we lost a couple of connecting rods. No clue what happened to them. Seriously, if you find them, send em to us.

Luckily we had another car with us that had the same drivetrain. After a nearly all-night wrenching session, we had robbed the motor from my new-to-me Contour, and put it in the Geo. Sunday, we were back on track, putting in some laps. Sunday wasn't without drama though. A few laps in on Sunday, I got punted hard by a Jetta in the right, rear wheel. Knocked out the alignment a bit, and loosened our rear "toe" rack. After more wrenching, and re-tech'ing, we were racing again. The car ran great all the way through the checker flag Sunday.

All our drivers made laps both days. All in all, it was a great first race for the Geo. Gary and I have some work to do before the next race, but we both feel like the car will be in a great position for the second race. Gary and I had lots of help from other ETR members, and we are EXTREMELY GREATFUL for that. We couldn't have completed this car in time without that help.

Unfortunately, I took no pictures all weekend. I know that Jordi and Brandon both took a lot though. Hopefully we can get some of those photos up here soon. In the mean time, there are some photos from the weekend on the Facebook site (http://www.KnoxvegasLowballers.com). You can view the site without having an account if you're anti-Facebook.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
Wheelman_13

Re: While Some of You Were at Dixie...[24 hrs of LeMons cont

Post by Wheelman_13 »

TennTechMan wrote: Luckily we had another car with us that had the same drivetrain. After a nearly all-night wrenching session, we had robbed the motor from my new-to-me Contour, and put it in the Geo.
Lol, now that's dedication.

So how does the Geo stack up to the SQC Merc' ?
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

I haven't driven the Mercedes since it got a bigger motor and bigger brakes, but the Geo is way more "Yee Haw" than the Mercedes. Gary should be able to correct me if I've got this wrong. I think the Mercedes ran a fast lap of 2:01, and Seanan ran a 2:00 for the Geo's fast lap. In the straights, I don't recall anything on track being faster than the Geo while I was driving it.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Not bad for the first outing! Everyone got to drive both days, that's more than can be said for some LeMons teams. I was following on FB, and saw the latest madness by Speedycop.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Wheelman_13 wrote:
TennTechMan wrote: Luckily we had another car with us that had the same drivetrain. After a nearly all-night wrenching session, we had robbed the motor from my new-to-me Contour, and put it in the Geo.
Lol, now that's dedication.

So how does the Geo stack up to the SQC Merc' ?
The Merc is definitely more 'stable' in the turns...and more 'stable' in the straights. The GEO has a way of making you really unsure if it's going to stick in the turn exit and then holding the line perfectly fine every time. Then, she roars onto the straights passing every car we encountered. I think a sub 2min only didn't happen due to traffic and/or lack of balls through the kink. With a few drivability enhancements, we should be among the top 5 times of the race, without a doubt.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

A short wheel base is always gonna be a little hairy. Glad you guys got it back together and I admire your dedication because I would be in total "eff it/beer me" mode if the engine dun blowed up.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

thrdeye wrote:A short wheel base is always gonna be a little hairy. Glad you guys got it back together and I admire your dedication because I would be in total "eff it/beer me" mode if the engine dun blowed up.
We considered that. I felt like we had gotten more out of the car at that point than I had ever expected in our first race. The constant stream of fans we had all weekend really gave us the extra push to say 'ef it, lets get this car under the checkered flag.'
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
steverife

Post by steverife »

I followed from afar over the course of the weekend, but my general response is...

:shock:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

AWW MAN Ya got to feel the dedication of the Home town team,Way to freaking go guys and gals,and a checker to boot.
Bob Colbert
CaptJordi

Post by CaptJordi »

Wrap up video of the event can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm1xp2T7xpI

And some pics:

- Jordi Dunn
Pointer Cone Photography
http://www.pointercone.com
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I guess the rod took out the oil filter?
- Dave Disney
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

On a related note, 'anyone see where they're re-releasing Jurassic Park in 3D? lol
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
CaptJordi

Post by CaptJordi »

disneyd wrote:I guess the rod took out the oil filter?
Corresponding hole in engine block:

Wheelman_13 wrote:On a related note, 'anyone see where they're re-releasing Jurassic Park in 3D? lol
Nationwide release date is April 5th. But I think it's only going to be out for a week. I know Regal in Turkey Creek has it playing because they already have tickets up for sale. Anyone interested in going?

- Jordi Dunn
Pointer Cone Photography
http://www.pointercone.com
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Do a promo with the car and see if they will let you in free.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

That would be awesome! :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story