new guy seeking some help

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Phil2033

Re: new guy seeking some help

Post by Phil2033 »

Ok I was wondering if a stinger would work.
No I don't have anything else to use, but if everything goes right, then going through the engine should be the only real thing to "build". I've rode in a couple cars already and thats what got me wanting to do this lol
TedV

Post by TedV »

As the sound control guy and a VW,mostly watercooled, guy. Nope, the stinger won't cut it. Our sound limit is 96dBA, and with the meter accuracy we use will stop your runs at 97.5. Can't risk loosing sites to run.

Nice thing about VW, the parts are cheap and they don't cost much either. :wink: :lol:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Phil2033

Post by Phil2033 »

TedV wrote:As the sound control guy and a VW,mostly watercooled, guy. Nope, the stinger won't cut it. Our sound limit is 96dBA, and with the meter accuracy we use will stop your runs at 97.5. Can't risk loosing sites to run.

Nice thing about VW, the parts are cheap and they don't cost much either. :wink: :lol:
Dang guess i need to work up some racing muffroars haha.
Can't blame having the sound level though, maybe I won't lose as much hearing in this racing either haha

For sure! Racing clutch for $95 was good enough to persuade me to run the VW lol
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Ted probably has about 15 mufflers laying around if you want to cobble something together. :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

You might want to look at the SCCA Starting Line program ( http://sccastartingline.com/ ). They're autocross schools taught by Evolution Performance Driving School instructors designed mainly for people who have never autocrossed before. You can buy a legal helmet, full or open faced, for what seems like a very reasonable price as part of the fee. You also get a one year membership in SCCA and other benefits. You do need a two seat car with belts for both seats. There's one on March 23 in Atlanta that I've signed up for.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
integra55

Post by integra55 »

keep in mind that as far as a-x goes ... all that is required, belts wise, are OEM belts ... you don't have to have race harnesses
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
04Baja

Post by 04Baja »

:arrow: Wait a min. Why go through all this for solo when you can run in rallycross-? Bring a full face helmet and drive. The louder the better.
:rockon:
Richard Lawrence
RALLYCROSS Chairman
04 SUBARU BAJA TURBO
91 SUBARU LEGACY TURBO
Smoky Mountain Rally Car on Facebook
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

WOW !!!!! Do it like it is,!!!!
Bob Colbert
NEVRLIFTLIN

Post by NEVRLIFTLIN »

Welcome! :D

As you have already found out, our club is always happy to help noobies to our "addiction" . We have our monthly meetings which are held on the 1st Tuesday of each month. Socal starts about 6 and the meeting starts @ 7. The Feb. meeting will be held @ Calhoun's on Turkey Creek......
~~~Lin Cox~~~
1990 Mazada Miata
ZOOM-ZOOM

Secretary
Travel Agent
Social Director
Event Planner
🤗🐾🍺🚘🎵🏁
pvineyard

Post by pvineyard »

Hey guys sorry for being away so long. Had a lot of things come up but the bug project is finally underway! The engine will be out this weekend. Hopefully. Haha it's been sitting in a barn for 20+ years now. I've got pictures of it if I can figure out how to post them on here. Will be racing next spring as long as all goes well!

Sorry I had to make a new account I forgot all my last login info
TedV

Post by TedV »

Welcome back! At first when I was reading this thread I wondered if I had been drunk or sleep postin lately.... :? But then I saw the posting dates. I've slept a few times since then. :lol: we all understand how stuff gets in the way of car projects. Hope you get er done this winter and are able to make it out in the spring.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
pvineyard

Post by pvineyard »

Thanks Ted! Haha yeah I figured it'd throw some people off. But for those of you that are interested here's my "build thread". Hopefully I won't get in trouble for linking another website??
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... 2e83431043