Light, cheap, adequate "racecar" battery.

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
90civichb

Re: Light, cheap, adequate "racecar" battery.

Post by 90civichb »

Great information! The thought of a reliable 2lb battery was just too good to be true it seems.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

Deka ETX12 in my NC. $60, 180-cca, 9 pounds. So far so good...
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Braille 932 cca and 10 year warranty at 6 pounds. It is a little pricey, but if you really need a high cold cranking amp light weight battery then I would go with it. It starts my GT500 very easy. Price is just over 600.00 dollars.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
steverife

Post by steverife »

lcoleman wrote:With a lightweight AGM, I would always recommend putting it on a tender if the car is going to sit for ~a week or more. It actually has positive benefit to the battery, as it slowly desulphates the plates. You can leave the battery in the car when you put it on the tender.
Yup. In my instance, I took the battery out of the car due to lack of secure storage. I couldn't exactly run an extension cord to the car and it offered an additional layer of security.

I looked into the solar panels, but my dad gave me a tender and it made me a little more comfortable with the car sitting in a parking lot while I was traveling for several days at a time.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

CABoegemann wrote:Deka ETX12 in my NC. $60, 180-cca, 9 pounds. So far so good...
I want your hookup! I don't think I've ever seen a Deka under $100.

JY, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut about Braille. :?

The solar panel idea is interesting. For a lead-acid, I don't think they'll generate enough current to keep it charged up unless it's a really sunny day, but....that technology seems to be advancing pretty quickly. Might not be long until it's a viable option.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

I use a $20 solar charger on my eurovan (Stu calls it the Urinevan) and it works great.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

lcoleman wrote:
CABoegemann wrote:Deka ETX12 in my NC. $60, 180-cca, 9 pounds. So far so good...
I want your hookup! I don't think I've ever seen a Deka under $100.

JY, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut about Braille. :?

The solar panel idea is interesting. For a lead-acid, I don't think they'll generate enough current to keep it charged up unless it's a really sunny day, but....that technology seems to be advancing pretty quickly. Might not be long until it's a viable option.
Taylor Battery in Johnson City. (Deka distributor). I was thinking about trying the BT 5 watt solar charger. Battery Tender says it will work, but what are they gonna say...
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
na6r

Post by na6r »

I've run as small as the Deka ETX9 it does ok in the warmer months if you drive regularly. In the winter it starts to struggle below 20* because of that I went with an EXT 12. It did everything.

$68 and free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Crank-ETX12-B ... ords=etx12
Pat
Found an MF car