wheel stud conversion?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
steverife

wheel stud conversion?

Post by steverife »

lately, i've found myself doing at lot of tire changes in a dark apartment parking lot before and after autocross events. i don't know what other cars have them, but my car has wheel bolts that screw into the hub. sometimes half of my tire change time is spent trying to line up bolt holes in the dark.

as i was shopping for suspension, i noticed that H&R makes a wheel stud conversion kit.

H&R Quick-Safe Stud Conversions

does anybody have any experience with these or any other studs? are they SCCA legal for Solo II? are they permitted for HPDE's and track days? will they decrease the likelihood of warping my rotors on a tire change?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I don't know if they are the same manufacturer, but I used to have some of these studs with the allen heads on the race car. They were a pain in the a##. They kept backing out (even though I used loctite on them) and eventually pulled the threads out of one of my drums. :evil: After that, I called BBS motorsport and asked them what they recommend. I bought studs from them that were also screw in but they were much higher quality. They have been in the car for probably close to 10 years and I have yet to have a single one back out. They were not cheap. I think they cost me about $4 each but you get what you pay for.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

No expereience with that in particular, but wheel bolts really suck. I had a hard time with them on the Volvos at the DW challenge......and we were in broad daylight.

H&R is pretty good stuff. Their suspension components are pretty well respected in the Subaru community. I think even a couple of the SCCA ProRally cars use their suspension.

Hope this helps
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

:oops: DOH! silly me. i saw the prices on the H&R site and got excited, then it kicked in that i'd have to buy 20 of those buggers at 4-5 bucks a pop AND buy lugnuts and'd have find other modes of transportation for a day or so while they cure and they might stick out past my stock wheels and blah, blah, blah

i think i'd rather continue to do the "lug bolt shuffle" and put that money towards something that'd help performance.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97