Trailer question

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
MARKP

Re: Trailer question

Post by MARKP »

Ted, that trailer hauled a 1972 Ford Torino. I was more worried about the tires slipping off the corners... yes, all 4 corners. :lol:

I don't know if they are still building them but that trailer is a 1988 Dively. It was built in North Carolina and I know a lot of people that have had them. They are great.

Edit: Looks like they are in PA. http://www.econotrailer.com/
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
MikeKelly

Re: RE: Re: Trailer question

Post by MikeKelly »

Challenger wrote:
A little further drive, but supposedly no sales tax so might be worth it.

Okay - further information that may help someone...

Most any trailer can be bought from most any dealer (at least in the south) without paying sales tax - all you have to do is tell them it's for agricultural use. (or that's the way it used to be just a few years ago)

And that should work in Tennessee even today (and all "legal" like).

The catch is that if you ever take it out of state you're supposed to have a TN tag on it (and all bordering state troopers know that, hint, hint).

And to get a TN trailer tag you're going to have to prove you paid the TN sales tax on it (regardless of what state you bought it in), or you just go pay the tax + get a title + tag issued at your county clerks' office...

Much like registering a boat or paying the tax on a used atv so you can get the sticker from wildlife resources to legally be on state land.

Hope that makes sense.

And get the $60 (or whatever it is now) permanent "semi" trailer tag so you never have to buy the annual stickers for it ever again.

HTH,

Mike
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
TedV

Post by TedV »

MARKP wrote:Ted, that trailer hauled a 1972 Ford Torino. I was more worried about the tires slipping off the corners... yes, all 4 corners. :lol:

I don't know if they are still building them but that trailer is a 1988 Dively. It was built in North Carolina and I know a lot of people that have had them. They are great.

Edit: Looks like they are in PA. http://www.econotrailer.com/
Exactly.. 4" channel at best. 7k gross weight. 5500lbs load capacity. Was it Mark Coffin this trailer came from or RL Mitchel? Or both?

The trailers Coatney was making were the same design. Good light weight yet sturdy design. Only thing lighter would be a Featherlight Aluminum.

Another feature of the open center is the ability to do an alignment on the trailer. Other than centering the steering wheel I generally can do a better alignment on the trailer than taking it to a tire shop.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

That one came from Mark Coffin. I think JB got RL's.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
joker717

Post by joker717 »

Steve let us know what you go with. I'm planning on getting a trailer also, just have to wait and see how much I owe good Ole uncle Sam.
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

joker717 wrote:Steve let us know what you go with. I'm planning on getting a trailer also, just have to wait and see how much I owe good Ole uncle Sam.
Will do. I'm waiting on Uncle Sam too.

Thanks for the info Mike. I hadn't realized about taking it out of state.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

Found a trailer last weekend up in Ky. I looked at a couple around here one in Lenoir City looked good but was about $200 more and one in Tazewell was OK but I wasn't impressed.

Steve Vrooman
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Steve, care to share the details of where you bought it, how much, and how the quality is? Like, is it painted underneath, did it come with the D-links, etc.

I'll be buying something just like that very soon.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

Sure, it was up in Leitchfield, Ky ( a little north of Bowling Green) Here's his CL ad:

https://bgky.craigslist.org/for/5964724957.html

I got the 20' for $2050. It had 8 ply vs. 6 ply tires which made the difference between it and the others for me. Plus it has LED lights and different tongue jack but that didn't matter as much to me. It was also constructed a little better (the $1950 one looked like a 5 year old painted it with all the runs and globs). It is painted underneath but doesn't have D rings. He had a couple different models at his place. The other was the "economy" model and really looked it. He said the guy who actually builds this one for him is out near Friendship, Tn.

Steve Vrooman
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Hmmm, you didn't happen to buy it from a guy named Wally, did you? I know a guy in that area that sells trailers but I didn't think he was doing steel open trailers.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

MARKP wrote:Hmmm, you didn't happen to buy it from a guy named Wally, did you? I know a guy in that area that sells trailers but I didn't think he was doing steel open trailers.
No I believe this guy was Leonard. He did say he had a partner that sold them too though.

Steve Vrooman
flier129

Post by flier129 »

I'll have to give this guy a call and see if he can do a few extra things to his typical 18'. I have 0 use for a 20' with my miata, lol.
joker717

Post by joker717 »

I texted this guy yesterday he said he had an 18' with a steel floor for $2200
Forgot to ask if it had D rings though.
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

Marcus - I'm not sure if the same guy builds 18's that built mine but he said he would build those to order so you may be able to get the changes you want.

JR - I'm pretty sure the steel deck ones have D rings. I remember looking at one and it had them mounted in the floor.

Steve Vrooman
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Happen to call or check this guy out?

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/grd/5952297709.html