New Member old car

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
68camotion

New Member old car

Post by 68camotion »

Hi everybody. Just want to introduce myself being relatively new to the area. I moved here from Northern California about 4 years ago with my wife and 3 kids (4 kids now) and also brought along my never ending project 1968 Camaro. I've been interested in autox for awhile but never participated since I never stop working on my car lol. Well I'm finally reaching the point where I'd like to try the car out, but just need to work out some rear suspension issues. Anybody with some knowledge in that area that would be willing to help me out would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
-Adam
https://imgur.com/a/bHgo2
Last edited by 68camotion on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gen52SS

Re: New Member old car

Post by Gen52SS »

Welcome Adam....to East Tennessee. I'm sure someone will chime in.

My name is Paul Breitweiser I am the Registration Chief and available anytime to answer questions related to getting registered or becoming a SCCA member. My email is TEAMETR@charter.net hope to see you soon at one of our events soon.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
68camotion

Post by 68camotion »

Thanks Paul.
TedV

Post by TedV »

Welcome!

Can you describe the issues in detail? Somebody around here might have a clue or know who to refer you to about it.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
68camotion

Post by 68camotion »

Well the suspension is a triangulated 4 link. It has a panhard bar, adjustable coilovers, and splined anti-roll bar. What happens is when I am accelerating and then let off the gas the rear end feels like it jumps side to side. This doesn't happen all the time sometimes it stays straight. Thanks.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Welcome! I'm no fabricator but it sounds like you might have a bind somewhere or something is at a strange angle.

I know some of the guys with similar cars around here have used No Limit Engineering on their suspension stuff. Rob is in the East TN area and he might be able to help.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
68camotion

Post by 68camotion »

Thanks Mark, funny thing I just talked to Jason over there yesterday, and was thinking of taking the camaro by there.
CobraJim

Post by CobraJim »

Hi Adam, I'm Jim the local novice chief, when your ready to come out I can help you get through the process of tech inspection, registration , reading the coarse and any other issues that you might encounter your first few times out. As for your suspension issue; a triangulated 4-link doesn't require a panhard bar for lateral stability, you generally see a panhard bar with a 3-link or straight ( not triangulated) 4-links. I think the use of a panhard bar and triangulated 4-link is causing a bind.
Jim Simmons
6 xp, em, stm
Novice Chair
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

Beautiful car! I can't wait to see it in person.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
68camotion

Post by 68camotion »

Thanks Michael.
Yeah Jim I figured that too, the shop I had the camaro at awhile back said the rear end wasn't stable enough so they added the panhard bar. They said the tabs that locate the upper bars to the rear were not welded on exactly where they needed to be which was allowing the movement. I kind of consider the panhard a bandaid. I'm not a suspension expert so... would love to find an experienced person locally that could test drive it and assess the situation.
CobraJim

Post by CobraJim »

I'd call Rob McGregor at no limits engineering.
Jim Simmons
6 xp, em, stm
Novice Chair
68camotion

Post by 68camotion »

Sounds like a plan. Thanks Jim.
marysmith

Post by marysmith »

68camotion wrote:Hi everybody. Just want to introduce myself being relatively new to the area. I moved here from Northern California about 4 years ago with my wife and 3 kids (4 kids now) and also brought along my never ending project 1968 Camaro. I've been interested in autox for awhile but never participated since I never stop working on my car lol. Well I'm finally reaching the point where I'd like to try the car out, but just need to work out some rear suspension issues. Anybody with some knowledge in that area that would be willing to help me out would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
-Adam
https://oddsdigger.com/tennis

Hi, I'm Mary, I've just joined this forum too. Nice to see you here :)
Last edited by marysmith on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Charles R. Swindoll
68camotion

Post by 68camotion »

Hello Mary. Seems like a nice group of people here
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Welcome Mary!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club