Forum User Maintenance

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

Forum User Maintenance

Post by disneyd »

I've deleted all users that had zero posts and haven't been active (logged in) since before 01/01/2016 (~1.5 years). That was about 650 users. Let me know if that's caused anyone problems and I'll straighten it out.

That leaves us with a little over 1000 users who have posts. Of those, 680 haven't logged into the forum since before 01/01/2015. I wouldn't delete their posts, but I'm thinking about killing their accounts. I probably won't do anything there for a while and it isn't really causing a problem anyway.

Also, there has been an uptick in forum spam lately, so I've switched user activation from e-mail based to manual administrator activation. So far we've had a couple of new users from Russia that I haven't approved. These are real people, not bots, that are going through the registration process and activating their account with a real e-mail address, then posting spam. If you send someone towards the forum, tell them to e-mail me separately for faster activation. I'm basically looking at where their IP address is registered and googling their email address before approving them now.

Chime in if you have an opinion or questions.
- Dave Disney
John Brown

Re: Forum User Maintenance

Post by John Brown »

Just BIG Thanks Dave for your work here!!!
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Dave.. Will using a VPN cause any problems if IP address are looked at. When I use mine I have a choice of over 80 countries I can project my IP
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Gen52SS wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:20 am Dave.. Will using a VPN cause any problems if IP address are looked at. When I use mine I have a choice of over 80 countries I can project my IP
Not once you're registered. I'm only looking at new accounts.

I am thinking about blocking all traffic from outside the US. 95% of the spam and attacks/scans the server sees come from outside the US and I don't see any reason why someone who isn't in the states should care about ETRSCCA stuff.
- Dave Disney
TedV

Post by TedV »

Well, there was that one guy from England driving his Lotus to New Zealand or Australia was it?

But yeah, other than that guy...
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

I agree block them
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

I vote block as well. If they have business on the forum, they'll know someone who can talk to you to get it straightened out. Thanks for all your work on the forum, Dave!
Brian Robbins
XP 45
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I added some blocks. Let me know if anyone runs into any issues. You shouldn't, unless you're way outside of the continental U.S..
- Dave Disney
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Thanks! The only issue I've had odds that every time I come back it's asking me to login again, even though I click the box saying remember me.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing