ABS Scanner

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

ABS Scanner

Post by disneyd »

Does anyone have an ABS scanner that will work on a 2001 Silverado?

I'm pretty sure I know what the issue is (bad solder joints on the ABS module) but I want to make sure it isn't a wheel speed sensor before I open up the module.
- Dave Disney
jcoatney

Re: ABS Scanner

Post by jcoatney »

I"ve got the name of a guy who repairs them for about $100. You can send the module in and he will test it for free. Also has a lifetime warranty.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

I have been absent from the board, but if you still need an ABS scanner, I got one.

I thoughts I had the same issue on my Camaro, so I bought the scanner. Turned out to be the module as well (and not the speed sensors as I also suspected).

Tip - you can replace the module and not get into the distribution block. Thus, you don't have to bleed the system to swap it out.
Last edited by Pewter Sonoma on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Pewter Sonoma wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 am I have been absent from the board, but if you still need an ABS scanner, I got one.

I thoughts I had the same issue on my Camaro, so I bought the scanner. Turned out to be the module as well (and not the speed sensors as I also suspected).

Tip - you can replace the module and not get into the distribution block. Those, you don't have to bleed the system to swap it out.
Does your scanner cycle the ABS solenoid for bleeding?
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

To follow up.... I decided to skip the wheel sensors since I knew I'd have to rebuild the ABS module at some point anyway. Got it off without too much trouble (who's idea was it to put the ABS pump/module on the frame rail anyway?), popped it open and re-soldered the joints. Works like a charm now.
- Dave Disney
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

01badz28 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:26 pm
Pewter Sonoma wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 am I have been absent from the board, but if you still need an ABS scanner, I got one.

Tip - you can replace the module and not get into the distribution block. Those, you don't have to bleed the system to swap it out.
No, it just scans to the best of my knowledge. I have not used it in a long time; when I find the manual (recently moved), I will check to confirm. I am 97.26% it does not. If it does, feel free to use it.
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

disneyd wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:12 pm To follow up.... I decided to skip the wheel sensors since I knew I'd have to rebuild the ABS module at some point anyway. Got it off without too much trouble (who's idea was it to put the ABS pump/module on the frame rail anyway?), popped it open and re-soldered the joints. Works like a charm now.
Well thats good to know. What to re-solder another one? :)
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Pewter Sonoma wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
01badz28 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:26 pm

No, it just scans to the best of my knowledge. I have not used it in a long time; when I find the manual (recently moved), I will check to confirm. I am 97.26% it does not. If it does, feel free to use it.
I needed something like that last year when my I was rebuilding my brake system - I'm GTG now. I may have texted you about it but I've slept since then.

Just filing in the back of my mind in case something like that ever happens again.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Pewter Sonoma wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:55 pm
disneyd wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:12 pm To follow up.... I decided to skip the wheel sensors since I knew I'd have to rebuild the ABS module at some point anyway. Got it off without too much trouble (who's idea was it to put the ABS pump/module on the frame rail anyway?), popped it open and re-soldered the joints. Works like a charm now.
Well thats good to know. What to re-solder another one? :)
Sure, if you pull it out and cut it open. Cutting through the sealant and getting the top off without damaging the board is the part that is a pain.
- Dave Disney