Newbie couple questions...

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
RatedZ

Newbie couple questions...

Post by RatedZ »

Hi gang. Had a couple questions for ya.

-was planning on doing the school april 21st, should I wait to drive in an event before doing that or just "wing it" first.

-does newbies have their own class? The scca book is all but easy to understand to class a car; especially with mods...

Not really looking to win trophies, just want to come out and have a good time and maybe meet some new friends. Thanks for the answers. Look forward to seeing/meeting you.

Brian
B Isaacs
16 Nissan 370z
Gen52SS

Re: Newbie couple questions...

Post by Gen52SS »

Brian…. Welcome no need to wait for school seat time is a big part of autocross come out as much as you can and work with our novice chief Jim Simmons.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Welcome Brian! Like Paul said, come on out and have fun. If you can tell tell us a little about your car (what it is, what modifications you have) we can help you with getting classed. We do have a novice class as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Welcome!
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
TedV

Post by TedV »

Welcome!
Doing a few events before the school can help you feel more comfortable and get a little more out of the school. Jim Simmons will do novice walks before the events also usually have some experienced drivers available to ride along to give pointers.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
RatedZ

Post by RatedZ »

Well the car is a 16 370z base. Swift springs, eibach sways, borla catback, berk hfc, z1 maf w kn intake, spl camber kit, & basically every 'do dad' z1 sells for a z (except turbo). Plan on changing the tires to 245f / 275r when time. From skimming the rule book it would seem the car is in a class where the best drivers would be anyway.... but honestly I just want to drive and not worried about winning at all. I guess since numbers and class letters are required I was asking what I should plan on using for that....

Im no stranger to the racetrack, but unfortunately its was on motorcycles a decade ago when I had more balls than brains. After a season of racing and figuring out I didnt have money/sponsors (and talent lol); I sold out for family and life stuff.

I have done a track day with the z but just ran in the novice group for fun. This would be my first autocross / solo experience and honestly the novice class would be fine forever with me. :lol:

I may come out to Bristol for the March 4th event then and just see how things go.
B Isaacs
16 Nissan 370z
steverife

Post by steverife »

STM is our local street tire catch all. Run 200TW and beyond that, rules are pretty much free.

The car likely fits into a national ST class (can't remember if the 370Z moved from STR to STU for '18 or not), but the rules are kind of specific regarding cats and camber kits and a few things.

I recommend getting a few events under your belt before the school if possible. Also, when the time come for tires, I would recommend a square setup. The 370Z has a lot of weight over the front tires and you want as much tire up there as you can get.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

steverife wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 am STM is our local street tire catch all. Run 200TW and beyond that, rules are pretty much free.

The car likely fits into a national ST class (can't remember if the 370Z moved from STR to STU for '18 or not), but the rules are kind of specific regarding cats and camber kits and a few things.

I recommend getting a few events under your belt before the school if possible. Also, when the time come for tires, I would recommend a square setup. The 370Z has a lot of weight over the front tires and you want as much tire up there as you can get.
I think it has been STU for a couple years, hasn't it?

Edit: Either way, it's in STU in the 2018 rules draft.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
CobraJim

Post by CobraJim »

Welcome Brian, if you want to drive "just for fun" then I would recommend you bring the car out to our first event in Bristol. Try to get there early, around 7:00- 7:30, and come find me. I drive the black 67 cobra kit car. I'll walk you through the flow of the event from inspection, to registration and even walking the course to try to figure out the best line to take. Everyone remembers their first few events and how overwhelming it can be, but don't worry, we have a great group of folks who will answer all your questions and make it a safe and fun experience.
Jim Simmons
6 xp, em, stm
Novice Chair
steverife

Post by steverife »

Teufelshund wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:40 am
steverife wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 am STM is our local street tire catch all. Run 200TW and beyond that, rules are pretty much free.

The 350Z has been in STU and the 370Z was in STR from ??? - 2017.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

steverife wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm
Teufelshund wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:40 am

The 350Z has been in STU and the 370Z was in STR from ??? - 2017.
Oh ok. I guess I was thinking about the 350.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
RatedZ

Post by RatedZ »

CobraJim wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:44 am Welcome Brian, if you want to drive "just for fun" then I would recommend you bring the car out to our first event in Bristol. Try to get there early, around 7:00- 7:30, and come find me. I drive the black 67 cobra kit car. I'll walk you through the flow of the event from inspection, to registration and even walking the course to try to figure out the best line to take. Everyone remembers their first few events and how overwhelming it can be, but don't worry, we have a great group of folks who will answer all your questions and make it a safe and fun experience.
Ill do that. Do i need to bring some masking tape or whatever to "draw" a number on the side? Anything else extra like that needed...?

I have a helmet, safety gear, etc... not worried about inspection of car...

Thanks for offering that for the newbie, lets hope for good weather now. 8)
B Isaacs
16 Nissan 370z
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

RatedZ wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:52 pm
CobraJim wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:44 am Welcome Brian, if you want to drive "just for fun" then I would recommend you bring the car out to our first event in Bristol. Try to get there early, around 7:00- 7:30, and come find me. I drive the black 67 cobra kit car. I'll walk you through the flow of the event from inspection, to registration and even walking the course to try to figure out the best line to take. Everyone remembers their first few events and how overwhelming it can be, but don't worry, we have a great group of folks who will answer all your questions and make it a safe and fun experience.
Ill do that. Do i need to bring some masking tape or whatever to "draw" a number on the side? Anything else extra like that needed...?

I have a helmet, safety gear, etc... not worried about inspection of car...

Tape is good, just make sure it contrasts with the car so it can be read at distance. Usually 3/4" wide or wider is best.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
CobraJim

Post by CobraJim »

Brian is right, I would add to try to have a good quality air pressure gage...see ya at the races
Jim Simmons
6 xp, em, stm
Novice Chair
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

RatedZ wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:52 pm I have a helmet, safety gear, etc... not worried about inspection of car...

Just a FYI on your helmet. It must meet the Snell 2005 cert or newer. Or meet a Euro equivalent standard listed on SCCA.com website.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy