helmet size and car numbers.

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
230 firebird

helmet size and car numbers.

Post by 230 firebird »

Hello members.This is my 1st post and I am new to this so forgive me if these questions are answered somewhere else.I searched the F.A.Q's.I am new to autocross/track days.I am going to attened the event at Bristol in March,and as many as I can through the year.I bought a Racequip helmet,2010 snell rated and medium size.Size says 57-58 centimeters.it fits really tight.I remeaused my head and came up with 581/2 centemeters.Should I send it back and buy a large size or would that be to big? 2nd question. as far as car numbers,I was going to buy the magnetic number material.How do I know what my numbers will be?Should I just bring the material to the track and cut out the numbers there? I am so looking forward to attending these events and having some fun. Thanks,see y'all at the track.
Teufelshund

Re: helmet size and car numbers.

Post by Teufelshund »

Welcome! Helmet size is mostly personal preference. If it's uncomfortable, get a larger size. On numbers, if you know what class you'll be in, look at last year's results and find a two digit number you like that's not being used. On class, what make/model car will you be running?
Brian Robbins
XP 45
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

You don’t want an uncomfortable helmet. However, you also do not want one that’s loose. You should be able to shake your head back-and-forth and not have the helmet slosh around on your head.
- Dave Disney
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

You will most likely be in novice class. Let us know as much as you can about your car including any MODS you have done. With that we can class your car and as registration chief you pick the number of your choice and I will let you know if it's not being used by another driver and you're good to go.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Welcome! Good advice from all above. I will only add that I would contact the company you purchased the helmet from and get their recommendation. They probably deal with those questions a lot more than us.

Be sure to find CobraJim (black AC Cobra) at your first event as early as you can. He is a lot of help for new people. If you can't find him, find someone in a bright yellow shirt and they can help direct you.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
230 firebird

Post by 230 firebird »

Thanks guys for the advice.As far as my car,I want to run my '87 Firebird.It is a streetcar and it is stock,ecept that it will have subframe connectors added.I figure I will be in a novice class since I have never done this before.
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

If subframe connectors are the only mod, I think you'd be legal for Novice STP
Brian Robbins
XP 45
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

The subframe connectors have to be bolted in. There are some other restrictions but if they are bolted, you are probably good. Novice STP should be a good place to start.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

I'm not very familiar with the rules for that class yet. I'll look it up tomorrow. Rife may know
Brian Robbins
XP 45
230 firebird

Post by 230 firebird »

Ok,Thanks.The subfram connectors I bought are the kind that have to be welded in,although I have not had that done yet.I didn't think to mention that all the bushings have been replaced with Poly Urathane bushings.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

The poly bushings will be fine in STP.

The subframe connectors would be good in CAM as well. CAM stands for Classic American Muscle and it is basically run what you brung, as long as you are on 200 treadwear tires or above and it is "street legal" (wink). You need an interior as well. Turbocharged 427... no problem. Paddle shift F1 transmission, bring it! Yeah, that kind of class. :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
steverife

Post by steverife »

I just want to add that I bought/returned a RaceQuip helmet last year. I didn't fit that helmet at all. Way too tight up top, way too loose in the face area.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

I'll just add that you'll want to make sure it's a SA2010 (or SA2015 if you're buying new). Need the SA helmet for track days I believe.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
CobraJim

Post by CobraJim »

Welcome, your first few events can be a bit overwhelming with car inspection, registration, figuring out the course, ect., but if you come find me (I drive the black cobra) I'll be happy to walk you through the whole process; and answer any questions you might have. Do yourself a favor and get there early (between 7:00 and 7:30) so your not rushing.... See ya at the race
Jim Simmons
6 xp, em, stm
Novice Chair
230 firebird

Post by 230 firebird »

Thanks guys for all the advice.I plan on arriving early and finding Jim and figuring out what class is best for me.I think I am going to send the helmet back