Power Brake Bleeder Question

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

Power Brake Bleeder Question

Post by disneyd »

I'm looking at buying a Motive Power Bleeder and wanted to see what anyone here thinks of them, or if there is something better out there.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of pressurizing the master cylinder reservoir, as they aren't designed for pressure as far as I know. Also, not crazy about a rubber line full of pressurized brake fluid (it will replenish the reservoir as you bleed the brakes). I see the potential for brake fluid all over the paint if it pops. Just wanted to see if anyone has been using one with no problems or not.

Problem is I'm usually by myself when bleeding brakes, and its time to flush the brake fluid on several of our vehicles now.

I have the mity-vac, but getting it connected to the bleeders properly is often a pain and sometimes it'll suck air in around the bleeder threads.

I've used speed bleeders over the years and liked them... just hate buying them for things like a truck and I've heard their quality hasn't been so great lately.

Any other options? Jess's car is due, as is the Z06 and the truck.
- Dave Disney
MARKP

Re: Power Brake Bleeder Question

Post by MARKP »

Get one of the kids to push the pedal... that's what my dad used to make me do. :-)
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I have one if you just want to buy your fitting. I like it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Phil Smith

Post by Phil Smith »

I have one and it works well when you are working along which is my case most of the time.
TedV

Post by TedV »

getting them to seal on the master reservoir is a bitch. If you get them to seal ( IF. I really mean you aint got a snowballs chance in hell) but when they do seal they work great. Remember to wash any brake fluid off as soon as you are done, if not before.

I've had better luck vacuum bleeding. then once done with vacuum, let it gravity bleed while tapping the caliper to dislodge air bubbles and wait for fluid to bleed out around the bleeder screw if screw seems loose.

best method is having a pedal pumper with their other foot or block of wood under the brake pedal to keep it from going all the way to the floor. If they are really whiny, I will do the vacuum deal, then have them there to do the last go around.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

Motive is OK. In a professional environment, I'm told they last about a year. I think maybe less for a casual user, as I suspect the seals degrade if they sit with brake fluid in them. Functionally, they work fine. I also hear that if you run them dry, just oiling the piston and relieving pressure to add fluid straight into the reservoir, they last longer. I haven't tried this; time is money for me. Almost all German cars have the same thread size/pitch on the reservoir, so that makes life easier for me at work. Not sure about your domestic stuff.

The Mityvac 6840 is the bee's knees, professional-grade. It's also hard to justify the cost, lol.

Don't bother with vacuum, it's slow and inefficient.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
Brian

Post by Brian »

I’ve been using them for years on german cars with the screw cap reservoir. These seal well as Lucas mentioned. No experience with the generic adaptor. The pressure is pretty low - 20 psi or so. It’s not enough to distort the reservoir on the vehicles I’ve used it on. If you put brake fluid in the bleeder, they only last a few years. You can use the bleeder without putting fluid in it easy enough by keeping an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir. I stop and top off after each caliper. A good catch bottle on the caliper makes it pretty foolproof.
Brian Hatten
AS 92
'11 CaymanS
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Brian just stated the way that I used mine. No fluid in the jug, just kept an eye on the level.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

I have the Motive bleeder with the dry breaks. I only put the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir and with the dry breaks I don't have to release the pressure from the Motive's tank when I refill the the brake reservoir. I have the Motive's aluminum cap for the GM vehicles too if you want to try the thing out.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

Oh man, 20psi is pretty extreme. I usually do 10-15. Stay under 10 on an older car....ask me how I know.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Kristi, I haven't seen any with a dry breaks option. Hows that set up?
- Dave Disney
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

disneyd wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:43 pm Kristi, I haven't seen any with a dry breaks option. Hows that set up?
You have to buy the dry breaks separately. This is the thread with all the part numbers: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/6 ... d-use.html
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Cool. I think I’ll give that a try. Sorry my phone changed your name to my sister’s name. [emoji12]
- Dave Disney
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

You are still married aren't you?
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Yep!