Tire issues

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
black16g

Tire issues

Post by black16g »

So after almost 15 weeks I finally got my wheels yesterday. I got new tires last week. Today while I was at work my dad took them to the local discount tire to have them mounted and balanced. I went to pick them up and apparently they got 3 of the 4 done but are having a problem getting the tire to seat on the last one. Has anyone had issues with re71r being a bitch to get on? They claim it's because the tire is so stiff and maybe letting it sit in the sun will "loosen" it up. The guy says he's tried every trick in the book and he's starting to scratch his head. Any of you tire guys got any ideas?
Joey Richardson
John Brown

Re: Tire issues

Post by John Brown »

A CHEETA will seat that bead..
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Starting fluid around the bead make a 2 foot trail light it and run like hell😊
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

Both of those methods will work. One is slightly less dangerous.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I've never heard of anyone having any trouble with them. Sounds odd to me. Are you stretching them? (too wide of a wheel?)
- Dave Disney
TedV

Post by TedV »

By getting it to seat, do you mean it takes air but the tire will not go past the safety lip to seat the bead of tire to the rim?

If so, I have seen rims where the lip is too large and/ or angle from the drop center too sharp to allow the tire to get up out of the drop center. What lube are they using? How many PSI they taking it up to? And did they try putting the low spot of the bead at different places around the rim? By every trick it sounds like he may have done that. In colder temps we have to put Hoosiers in front of a heater to soften them up to make mounting easier. Years ago there was a manufacturer of rims where folks had to grind a bevel from the drop center to safety lip to get tires to mount. The rims didn't meet federal motor vehicle specs.

: Edited because I haven't finished my coffee and blah blah blah:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
steverife

Post by steverife »

1) Forgestars?

2) I met a guy at the emergency room that did the starter fluid thing. Well, actually, I met his wife. He wasn't in a mood to talk.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
black16g

Post by black16g »

Ted, a different guy got them on in 20 minutes this morning. He did use a little starter fluid I believe.

Dave, no stretching 305 on 19x11.

Steve, yes forgestar wheels. Harp just told me about Kristo and Dave's issue. That one wheel is slightly out of round.
Joey Richardson
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

You got a warped one also? Can you feel it on the road?
- Dave Disney
black16g

Post by black16g »

Yep! They seem to have some serious quality issues. The reason mine took so long (other than a lot of black Friday sales) was because the front 2 didn't pass quality control and they had to remake them. The tire guy said the 19 he had a hard time seating a tire on was slightly out of round though. I just drove it around 20 miles or so and it felt fine. Max speed was around 60.
Joey Richardson
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

I think Kristo's issue was more that the barrel wasn't perfectly concentric with the center bore. Didn't have any trouble seating his Rivals, though. Some tires are just a pain and there's no rhyme or reason as to why.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Here is mine.

https://youtu.be/-HN_Ll2W0Fs

It isn't in my hub as a factory wheel looks perfect and it does the same thing on a balancer. If you'll notice, the warp runs well into the barrel of the wheel, so I really doubt UPS caused this. Also, the worst spot isn't the only one. You can see several places where the wheel runs up/down. My other front was perfect and the rears (18x12) were pretty close to perfect.

The vendor I bought mine from is having a new wheel made and is going to replace it, but they say Forgestar won't do anything about it. My vendor moves really slow though, and Forgestar takes forever to make a wheel, so I have no idea when I'll get it... so mismatched fronts for now.
- Dave Disney
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

I can't believe what a dogshit company they are. Never bought from a company that stands less behind their product.

At least you got a vendor that gets you a new wheel.

I'm still not sure if my problem is fixable or if it's cheaper to get a new wheel from those a**holes. They'll get rewarded for putting out inferior product. I'll measure the barrel to centerbore concentricity when I'll have time.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53