Trailer Sway/Leveling Hitch Info

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

Trailer Sway/Leveling Hitch Info

Post by disneyd »

I need to pick up a load leveling and sway control hitch to use with a 2500HD (8.1L) towing a 31' Airstream (~9000 lbs). I've towed a lot of boats and open car trailers in my time, but have never used a load level / sway control hitch.

The truck tows the trailer around town and local highways fine, but I'm told that for longer interstate trips I'm going to want the special hitch setup.

Any suggestions on brand? Features? Best place to buy? Other info?

Thanks
- Dave Disney
disneyd
Site Admin

Re: Trailer Sway/Leveling Hitch Info

Post by disneyd »

I should probably also mention that I'll probably be towing this rig on a long trip once a year on average... so, I need something that works well but not necessarily the Cadillac solution. I am willing to pay more if a solution is less of a pain in the rear that others though (don't want some janky setup).
- Dave Disney
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

I use a Blue Ox setup. Seems to work good. Lots of different brands out there.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
EyeAmL8

Post by EyeAmL8 »

I've used this Eaz- Lift system on two different vehicle/trailer combos. Seems to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-Weight- ... ting+hitch

My tow rig is an '08 Escalade and I pull a ~5700lb travel trailer.
The weight distribution really helps take the stress off the automatic load leveling on my Escalade. It will help lift the back of your truck some when using it, keeping it from sagging as much.

As far as the sway control, my trailer pulls nice and straight without it, but it helps tremendously with vehicle stability on the interstate.
The high pressure bow wave that is generated by cars, SUVs, and big rigs that pass you fast enough, move and unsettle the SUV/trailer once that bow wave hits the gap between the SUV and trailer.

The lower profile of the pick up bed may not be bothered as much but I can't say for sure.

Good luck
Taylor Repko
13 FR-S CS 44
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

I bought the Rolls-Royce solution several years ago and it was truly incredible. The Hensley Arrow worked spectacularly well on our 11k trailer. A lot of money, but made towing so easy.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Thanks for the info so far guys! I'm bumping this back up since all the trailer haulers are back in town from last weekend's Tour.

So far, from my reading, it looks like its better to get one that has the anti-sway built into the weight distribution part. Usually these do not have chains at the back of the torsion bars, but not always. I've also seen a lot of complaints about noise and issues turning with the friction brake type (cheaper) anti-sway setups.

Right now I'm leaning towards this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ED7ZXIU as a good spot between cost and function.

Any additional input or pointers towards specific brands or features would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
- Dave Disney
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

My Blue Ox uses a cam tensioner with chains. I have zero issues with noises on turns or backing. The bars on mine easily detach from the hitch itself to reduce weight for installation/removal. On mine and many others you have to jack up the trailer when it is attached to the hitch to reduce tension to attach the sway bars to the trailer. If you do not have a electric hitch jack it would be a bear to raise by hand but doable. I have not have any other brands so I can't comment on other brands but I also did a lot of research before settling on it. I tow a 9K lb travel trailer with a F250. I also bought mine on Amazon. Good luck on your search.

PS also you will want to check the height of your truck hitch to your level trailer position and see if the included hitch shank (the part that goes into your hitch) allows enough adjustment to get your trailer level. Important if your truck is lifted any or just very high stock like mine is. You may have to purchase a longer drop shank like this one:
http://www.blueox.com/hitch-accessories ... -receiver/

You may also want to consider a hitch immobilizer to reduce movement noise such as one like this:
[urlhttp://www.blueox.com/recreational-commercial- ... obilizers/][/url]
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

I've got one of the cheaper friction brake anti sway and chain on the torsion bar setups for my camper. Not sure what brand it is, they installed it with the camper when I bought it years ago. I looked at the Blue Ox stuff awhile back and it looks like a really good setup. I just couldn't justify replacing something that has worked for me. I've towed the camper countless miles, even out to Yellowstone with no issues so it's worked for me. I can't speak to ease of use compared to others though since this is all I've ever had.

Edit: I do have the noises while turning.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I have the curt on the f350 and it was used on the excursion as well and not very expensive to get the better one over the cheaper one either.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
TedV

Post by TedV »

Used one similar to the ez-lift on the Hoosier 24' bumper hitch towed trailer. Noises let you know it's still hooked up. We had one worker who damaged (broke and lost) the retention clip. Turn too tight and it would pop out. Would make hell of a noise until the latching chain fell off trailer. Once repaired a bit of grease cut the noise down but you risk getting nasty handling the bars. Once you know what chain link leveled it, just hook and latch it up when dropping the trailer on the hitch. Cheater pipe made latching the chain a breeze.

Trailer got used enough the sway portion broke often and finally wouldn't get replaced. Besides, with dual rear wheels on tow vehicle, didn't need it. When the Bronco towed it..oh YES it needed the sway control!!
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

That Camco hitch looks good. I like its looks better than the Equilizer hitch. But my best advice is to look at some travel trailer forums to see what’s hot and what’s not. The folks doing the most towing will be talking about what works and what doesn’t.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing