Computer Out of Service

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Gen52SS

Computer Out of Service

Post by Gen52SS »

My fairly new computer just went down today. Had been rebooting on its own for the past 6 months. Today would not boot up. Anyone here repairing them or reccomend someone. Needless to say all my important files are on it. Had planned on sending email blast this weekend for the May 12th event. I will try to get my old laptop up and running in the next few days.

I'm leaning towards a bad drive or maybe a virus. If I replace the drive with a Solid state drive with a fresh install of Windows 10 how much will i be able to transfer? Just documents and photos or can I clone most of my old drive? Any help on this....GO
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
michael.plaster

Re: Computer Out of Service

Post by michael.plaster »

What does it do when it doesnt boot? Error messages, blue screen, or anything like that?
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

It booted into the auto repair screen. I tried all the choices to fix it and they didn't work. I took it last night to someone who checked it for a few hours and said hard drive tested good and no viruses but some of my files were corrupt from the last big windows update. So far he said it's working fine now. if it's stable all day today I'll pick it up at 6pm.
Paul Breitweiser
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

Did you get everything figured out?

I'd suggest that if you go to an SSD to get a Samsung. They come with software that will clone the original disk to the new one. I've swapped out countless drives with this method and it's easily the best $100-$200 that you'll spend on a computer.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

+1 on the Samsung. It was a seamless transition and the SSD is the most noticeable upgrade you can do
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Got some corrupt files on the last big windows 10 update fixed but I still might get the SSD anyway.
Paul Breitweiser