e92 M3 / 6th Gen Mustang Questions

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
ke0ki2k

Re: e92 M3 / 6th Gen Mustang Questions

Post by ke0ki2k »

Late to this thread but FWIW I think 11+ E92M's have a lower rate of failure with rod bearings, mostly cars that are tracked or fed shit oil at max interval. 11+ dont have lead so the oil analysis wont tell you if theyre about to spin though. Rod Replacement is anywhere from 1800-3k depending on the shop you ask. Save the odd bearing issue, thermostat, or throttle body actuator (the latter two I'd DIY - already replaced my thermostat) the S65's seem to be solid engines, hundreds of them around the country getting thrashed on track every weekend without missing a beat.

If I were doing it over again, I think I'd find a unicorn-ish 08 base model slick top manual with no nav, probably 150-175lbs lighter than my car. 18x8.5/9.5 Apex ARC8's for autox duty. Take it to a shop, have them do the improved BE rod bearings and OE rod bolts. DIY valve cover gaskets, plugs, the TB actuator gear fix, and thermostat/pump as PM. Thrash on it all the time without worry, I think the weight advantage of the really skimpily optioned 08's would make up for the 0.5" of wheel and 0.5" ride height drop of the ZCP cars. A lot cheaper too, I got a pretty good deal on my ZCP but people are exceedingly proud of them.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
01badz28

Re: e92 M3 / 6th Gen Mustang Questions

Post by 01badz28 »

ke0ki2k wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:46 pm Late to this thread but FWIW I think 11+ E92M's have a lower rate of failure with rod bearings, mostly cars that are tracked or fed shit oil at max interval. 11+ dont have lead so the oil analysis wont tell you if theyre about to spin though. Rod Replacement is anywhere from 1800-3k depending on the shop you ask. Save the odd bearing issue, thermostat, or throttle body actuator (the latter two I'd DIY - already replaced my thermostat) the S65's seem to be solid engines, hundreds of them around the country getting thrashed on track every weekend without missing a beat.

If I were doing it over again, I think I'd find a unicorn-ish 08 base model slick top manual with no nav, probably 150-175lbs lighter than my car. 18x8.5/9.5 Apex ARC8's for autox duty. Take it to a shop, have them do the improved BE rod bearings and OE rod bolts. DIY valve cover gaskets, plugs, the TB actuator gear fix, and thermostat/pump as PM. Thrash on it all the time without worry, I think the weight advantage of the really skimpily optioned 08's would make up for the 0.5" of wheel and 0.5" ride height drop of the ZCP cars. A lot cheaper too, I got a pretty good deal on my ZCP but people are exceedingly proud of them.
I'm going to go look at a 2011 base slick top manual later on the week. I've set aside money to do the improved rod bearings as I'd rather just have the piece of mind at this point.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3