New Wheel Reconmendations

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Teufelshund

Re: New Wheel Reconmendations

Post by Teufelshund »

jcox07 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:17 am The thing about Sam is he will not sell you anything that will not help your car. If you call him wanting a set of coilovers and he knows they won't help you, he will tell you straight up they won't help you but these will and he knows his stuff when it comes to Camaro or vettes or mustangs, no one is better.
Now, all he needs to do is figure out how to do that without pissing people off and he'll be in good shape. :pirate:
Brian Robbins
XP 45
steverife

Post by steverife »

My biggest problem with ordering from Sam is that I generally know exactly what I want and want to click a couple buttons at 11 pm or 5 am instead of trying to make time in my day to call someone.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

steverife wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:29 am My biggest problem with ordering from Sam is that I generally know exactly what I want and want to click a couple buttons at 11 pm or 5 am instead of trying to make time in my day to call someone.
I'm the same way now, but when I first started building the car, I didn't know much about suspension, so I needed to talk to someone about it. Now I know enough people and have enough resources that I can make the decision myself with info I've been able to gather. I've talked with Maximum Motorsports a lot on the phone and via email, and they seem to be more knowledgeable and certainly more helpful, so that's the direction I've went lately.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I'm totally different on Maxium motorsports as the only thing they offer that is good is their camber plates and the rest of their stuff is junk!
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

jcox07 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:22 am I'm totally different on Maxium motorsports as the only thing they offer that is good is their camber plates and the rest of their stuff is junk!
What have you used that you don't like? Sam sells quite a bit of MM stuff...
Brian Robbins
XP 45
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

First coilover kit I got was from maxium and it didn't fit and I had a hard time sending it back and getting my money back cause they argued with me that the coilover kit would fit and I had to send pictures showing that they didn't fit.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

Lmao Strano sold me a MM coilover kit. Said it was the best. I haven't had any problems with it. Your car is a little more rare though.

Have you tried anything else, or just the coilovers?
Brian Robbins
XP 45
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

It's not all installed yet but my Camaro is getting all of Sam's suspension junk. It will be on crappy Forgestars too.

It can be a pain to get an order placed and he rubs some the wrong way but he has a lot of great knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

MARKP wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 am It's not all installed yet but my Camaro is getting all of Sam's suspension junk. It will be on crappy Forgestars too.

It can be a pain to get an order placed and he rubs some the wrong way but he has a lot of great knowledge.

What are you doing to the suspension?
Brian Robbins
XP 45
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Brian, for your car it is good cause there is not a lot offered for your platform.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Newer platforms like the s197 and s550 and new gen Camaros and vettes have way more companies producing stuff for these cars than the mid 90's cars do, so all you have is 2 or 3 options and maxium is one of them and as far as my car, bars and coilovers and camber plates is all that is legal that maxium offers and their coilovers are no where close to the K & W variant 3 or the JRZ'S.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

My wheels and Kristo’s are F14s.

My opinion of Sam is that he’s a good guy with good knowledge and wants to help. His bedside manner could use some polishing, and I think as a small business owner he’s justifiably burned by a lot of people taking advantage of his experience without buying from him.

He gave me a lot of good advice when I was shopping for a Z06 and I bought my shocks and bar from him. He also had my heads fixed, which I really appreciated having him as a “we’ve done this before and it works” source. I would have ordered my Forgestars from him, but couldn’t get a reply for a week (found he was on vacation) and I was afraid the rebate would run out before I got ahold of him.

If I were to buy more FStars, I’d get them from Strano, but I’d figure a way to have him check them out first so he could deal with any issues. If he drop ships then to you then you’re probably on your own. I don’t know if he offers insurance, but I think you’d probably have issues with UPS covering FS’s boxes. They need to be double boxed.
- Dave Disney
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Teufelshund wrote:
MARKP wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 am It's not all installed yet but my Camaro is getting all of Sam's suspension junk. It will be on crappy Forgestars too.

What are you doing to the suspension?
Basic stuff. Springs, bars, Konis, bushings. No watts link until I figure out if I'm beating my head against a brick wall or just some flimsy drywall. [emoji38]

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
black16g

Post by black16g »

I got my F14 from a corvette forum vendor (vibe motorsport). They were great to deal with. I was part of the big black friday order and I think forgestar took too many orders. My wheels got delayed once due to a QC issue with one of the 19s. I was happy they caught the issue and didn't ship. It did end up taking 15 weeks to get them though. It sucked to hear the tire installer tell me the wheel was "slightly out of round". Maybe that's why they had a hard time mounting. He didn't seem too concerned about it and I have had no issues with excessive tire wear or wobbles......at least none that I can relate to a warped wheel.

I don't think I would buy forgestar again. The wait time and focus on quantity over quality is what drives me away. Michael, have you looked at CRAY wheels?
Joey Richardson
KeithLoveday

Post by KeithLoveday »

Buck05Sti wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:19 am
KeithLoveday wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:59 am My set of ForgeStars had no issues. Spun them before mounting tires and they balanced out with tires no problem. I examine them before/after every track day for cracks. I did not go through Sam as he insisted on 18x10s and 18x12s.

F14s
18x11 +38
18x13 +55
is this on your S2000?
Nah. Got rid of the S2000 in favor of a C6 Z06.
jcox07 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:17 am The thing about Sam is he will not sell you anything that will not help your car. If you call him wanting a set of coilovers and he knows they won't help you, he will tell you straight up they won't help you but these will and he knows his stuff when it comes to Camaro or vettes or mustangs, no one is better.
For autocross, he certainly knows what works from experience. However, the above specs are a well known and frequently used setup for the track.
Jeffrey "Keith" Loveday