New Wheel Reconmendations

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Teufelshund

Re: New Wheel Reconmendations

Post by Teufelshund »

Challenger wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:31 pm
steverife wrote:Last 3 people from ETR with Corvettes got bent wheels, so someone is about due a straight set.
Hope your right Steve. Just got a set delivered a couple weeks ago. They look good from what I can see. Fixing to get tires mounted next week.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Dave said he found his problem by bolting it up and spinning it on the hub before tires were mounted. Might be worth the time to check for runout
Brian Robbins
XP 45
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

Teufelshund wrote:
Challenger wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:31 pm
steverife wrote:Last 3 people from ETR with Corvettes got bent wheels, so someone is about due a straight set.
Hope your right Steve. Just got a set delivered a couple weeks ago. They look good from what I can see. Fixing to get tires mounted next week.

Dave said he found his problem by bolting it up and spinning it on the hub before tires were mounted. Might be worth the time to check for runout
Yea it appears I got the lucky set. Can't see anything terrible by doing that at least. Wonder if the problems are model dependant? I got F14s.

Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

Challenger wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:26 pm
Teufelshund wrote:
Challenger wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:31 pm Hope your right Steve. Just got a set delivered a couple weeks ago. They look good from what I can see. Fixing to get tires mounted next week.

Yea it appears I got the lucky set. Can't see anything terrible by doing that at least. Wonder if the problems are model dependant? I got F14s.

That's a very good question. If so, I might consider buying a set
Brian Robbins
XP 45
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

jcox07 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:42 pm I would bet that they got bent during shipping.
Speaking for Kristo's wheels--

No way. There was no sign of any shipping damage whatsoever, on the wheel or the boxes, and that thing was as out-of-round I've ever seen a brand-new wheel be. A wheel doesn't do that if a box gets dropped, anyway. One or both of the lips would bend.

The bare wheel with no tire wanted several ounces of weight to balance and was visibly wobbling. After seeing that, I couldn't ever recommend Forgestar to anyone, as they obviously have really poor quality control. Makes you wonder what else they're skimping on....materials and construction are very important on a big car with sticky 315s.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Here’s the deal if you buy Forgestars:

As with any wheel, once they’ve had tires mounted, you’re SOL. Strano and every other vendor will blame the tire shop for any problem with the wheels at that point. I got lucky and Kristo told me about his issue the night before I was going to have mine mounted or I’d have been out of luck.

My bad wheel was not due to the shipper. The barrel and inner rim were egg shaped. I can’t think of anything UPS could have done to the wheel to damage the barrel without leaving a mark on the box. My replacement wheel was better than the first, but still has visible lateral and radial runout. That box was perfect also. At least it’s usable.

Kristo can chime in, but last I heard was that the bolt pattern wasn’t concentric to the rim. UPS didn’t do that either.

Be sure you get shipping insurance. Otherwise your vendor and Forgestar will blame the shipper.

Have them spun on a balancer before you mount any tires.

The next thing I’m worried about is cracks. Google Forgestar Cracks. There are A LOT out there. I realize race wheels crack eventually, but FS seems to have a lot and many are early in the wheels life.

Forgestar told my vendor (Need For Speed) to pound sand but my vendor had to eat it since I bought shipping insurance. My sales guy said they’d had a lot of issues with FS and might be parting ways.

The short story is that FS won’t stand behind their products. I won’t be buying another set. I don’t think they have any quality control in place.
- Dave Disney
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Looks like I am lucky also Steve, as both my sets are good and I have a set of ccw's at 775.00 each which is why I went with forgestars cause I can get two for the price of one ccw. Other 18x12 wheels are also at least as pricey as the ccw's are or more and yes you get what you pay for. The ccw's are only 1.6 pounds lighter per wheel as well and that was why I went with a cheaper wheel. If there is some out there that I don't know about, please post up the brand so I can look at them.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

jcox07 wrote:Looks like I am lucky also Steve, as both my sets are good and I have a set of ccw's at 775.00 each which is why I went with forgestars cause I can get two for the price of one ccw. Other 18x12 wheels are also at least as pricey as the ccw's are or more and yes you get what you pay for. The ccw's are only 1.6 pounds lighter per wheel as well and that was why I went with a cheaper wheel. If there is some out there that I don't know about, please post up the brand so I can look at them.
Are both your sets F14s? Dave, what model did you and Kristo get?

Steve Vrooman
steverife

Post by steverife »

There was a FB post a while back about Forgestars and Strano commented. IIRC, his endorsement was pretty soft. Something along the lines of I can get them and they are a good value and they've been fine for a lot of folks...
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I have one set cf5 and the other f14's and Sam runs them on his SSR vette as well.......
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Teufelshund wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:16 pm
John Brown wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:28 pmYikes.
Yep. Lots of wheels get shipped. I doubt the UPS drivers union has a specific vendetta against Forgestar lol.
I talking about wheels in general... in my work,we order a lot of wheels... even one of my ROTA Wheels was thrown from the top of a sky scraper and has a flat spot on it. vendetta....prolly not. dummazzes, most likely.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

John Brown wrote:
Teufelshund wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:16 pm
John Brown wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:28 pmYikes.
Yep. Lots of wheels get shipped. I doubt the UPS drivers union has a specific vendetta against Forgestar lol.
I talking about wheels in general... in my work,we order a lot of wheels... even one of my ROTA Wheels was thrown from the top of a sky scraper and has a flat spot on it. vendetta....prolly not. dummazzes, most likely.
Yea one of my XXRs suffered that same fate.

Steve Vrooman
KeithLoveday

Post by KeithLoveday »

My set of ForgeStars had no issues. Spun them before mounting tires and they balanced out with tires no problem. I examine them before/after every track day for cracks. I did not go through Sam as he insisted on 18x10s and 18x12s.

F14s
18x11 +38
18x13 +55
Jeffrey "Keith" Loveday
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

Thanks guys for all the info. I'm probably not going to test it with the Forgestars... seems like Steve and Jeff may have already used all the luck from the Forgestar Gods.

I tried working with Sam Strano last year when I was looking at shocks / coilovers on the Camaro and got really terrible customer service. I'll probably not be giving him a call again unless I'm ever in the mood to have someone belittle me over the phone. Kinda sucks because he was highly recommended.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

The thing about Sam is he will not sell you anything that will not help your car. If you call him wanting a set of coilovers and he knows they won't help you, he will tell you straight up they won't help you but these will and he knows his stuff when it comes to Camaro or vettes or mustangs, no one is better.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

KeithLoveday wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:59 am My set of ForgeStars had no issues. Spun them before mounting tires and they balanced out with tires no problem. I examine them before/after every track day for cracks. I did not go through Sam as he insisted on 18x10s and 18x12s.

F14s
18x11 +38
18x13 +55
is this on your S2000?
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)