Wheel Weight Opinions

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

Wheel Weight Opinions

Post by disneyd »

I'm researching a new set of 18" wheels for the C6Z in AS (needed to run the available Rival sizes). I'm trying to avoid buying Forgestars again as I was supremely unimpressed with the build quality on the last set I had.

However, I'm also trying not to spend $4500 on a set of wheels. It's hard to find a set of 18" wheels for the C6Z in stock width and offsets, particularly for the rear (18x12). So, there aren't many choices.

The Forgestars were about 19.5# front (18x9.5) and 20# rear according to their specs, though I never weighed them personally.

I can get a set of custom Momo RF-20 wheels for about $600 to $700 more (for the set) than the Forgestars cost. Momo has been around a long time and I would expect their build quality to be better. The only problem is the fronts weigh 23# and the rears 25#.

Up from that we're looking at a several thousand dollar jump to Forgelines or something similar.... and I don't really want to go there. :shock:

Opinions on the weight difference? Risk another set of Forgestars for the weight difference or go with something heavier that should arrive completely round and well made?
- Dave Disney
flier129

Re: Wheel Weight Opinions

Post by flier129 »

I figure the cost of CCWs is close to the cost of Forgelines?

What's the weight on the Forgestars?
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Personally, I know it's less than ideal, but I'd go with the Forgestars since the problem with them did not seem to grossly impact driveability.

I just looked at forgeline's site for the first time. Those things are gorgeous.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

You can get ccw's for about 800.00 each which is about half the price of the forgelines, but Chris is right those forgelines are some pretty wheels but I think the ccw has some good looking wheels and almost as light maybe a half of a pound heavier.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
disneyd
Site Admin

Wheel Weight Opinions

Post by disneyd »

I found a vendor that buys the Forgestar components, assembles/machines them in house and then does their own coating. They’re telling me they can guarantee them to be true... so I might try that again :-/

I didn’t realIze there were several different places “making” them.
- Dave Disney
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Who is that Dave as I may get another set as well?
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

https://www.getyourwheels.com/view-whee ... -available

They’ve been on CorvetteForum for a good while and have been very responsive to questions.
- Dave Disney
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

I just received my set of Forgelines, and they are beautiful. I bought mine through Vansteel and got a pretty smokin' deal. I'd give them a call and see what kinda price they can get.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Just got my other 2 forgestar wheels to Jon Coatney to powder coat and he tested them for runout and they were very good he said, so the quality control may have gotten better, but I would be inclined to go with the new link that Dave posted for forgestars especially since they guarantee them to be right and the price is the same.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Well, I ordered another set of Forgestars, even though I swore I wouldn't. Hopefully they turn out round. Everything else I found was either much heavier or three times the price.

The vendor actually quoted me a maximum acceptable runout of 0.25mm, which is the first time I've been able to get a number out of anyone and they say they'll guarantee it. They (GetYourWheels) also gave me a little more info on the manufacturing process. The wheels are made in China, or wherever, and shipped to various vendors unpainted. The vendor then machines the back of the wheel to the proper offset and then machines the required bolt pattern. Then they powdercoat them. So, depending on where you buy them from, the machining and coating quality could vary dramatically. GYW says they check for runout before and after machining and after coating.

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
- Dave Disney
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Just wanted to follow up and say that I received my wheels from GetYourWheels and they are all straight.

No discernible runout in the lateral or radial planes. They also threw in a free set of tuner lugs and a socket I wasn’t expecting.

They were also very responsive to questions and replied quickly as well as keeping me informed of the status of the order.

I’d recommend them. They told me that they check all the wheels on a high end Hunter machine twice in their process and it may just be that they are more picky about culling the bad wheels but whatever their process is, it worked for me this time.
- Dave Disney
steverife

Post by steverife »

Good deal.

I missed this first time. Is it unique for a vendor to essentially finish a product? This is the first I've heard of that and would explain a lot.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I don't know how many vendors finish the wheels themselves. Need for Speed said they had a "factory" near them that finished them but I'm unsure if it was theirs or shared with other vendors. GetYourWheels does it all in house. I think what they actually do is receive the blanks from Asia and machine the mounting surface for whatever backspace you want, machine the lug bores, then powdercoat them.
- Dave Disney
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

Thats good news! Glad you didn't break the bank on something silly like Forgelines. If IMSA teams are running parts from a manufacturer, I figure I shouldn't be running them - and tons of IMSA teams run Forgelines :lol:

Side Note - does anyone know about what new super-200 tires are coming out next year? Whats BFG doing?
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3