Where to get my car weighed?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Budman

Where to get my car weighed?

Post by Budman »

I need to find some place that has corner weights so I can determine my front to rear weight ratio. Anyone know of a place that can do this?
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
Brian

Post by Brian »

I think Air Cooled Classics may be able to do this.
Brian Hatten
AS 92
'11 CaymanS
CMS-GT4

Post by CMS-GT4 »

Correct. I think it costs 10-15 bucks.
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
92' Celica alltrac: in final stages of rebuild
03' Z: Grocery Gitter
jonam

Post by jonam »

CMS-GT4 wrote:Correct. I think it costs 10-15 bucks.
They charged me $70/hour..which costed me $300 for an alignment job :shock: :evil: IMO, not that competent shop cosidering they spent 4 hours and still did not get me exact specs I wanted plus they failed to center my steering wheel. At least in that occasion.:(
Ask them how much it would cost in advance if you don't want a suprise.
/// Jon
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

jonam wrote:
CMS-GT4 wrote:Correct. I think it costs 10-15 bucks.
They charged me $70/hour..which costed me $300 for an alignment job :shock: :evil: IMO, not that competent shop cosidering they spent 4 hours and still did not get me exact specs I wanted plus they failed to center my steering wheel. At least in that occasion.:(
Ask them how much it would cost in advance if you don't want a suprise.
I do not know about Air Cooled Classics pro or con. I just want to add a comment. Sometimes, if the spec you want is outside your range of adjustment, you have to settle for getting as close as you can.

Dewey
jonam

Post by jonam »

dfoulk wrote:I do not know about Air Cooled Classics pro or con. I just want to add a comment. Sometimes, if the spec you want is outside your range of adjustment, you have to settle for getting as close as you can.

Dewey
Agreed..but not after spending 4 hours/$300 which was too long/much already. It was an emergency, so not much I could do, either.
edit: it was not outside of range...
Heard they do good work on P-cars..but guess not on bimmers.
Last edited by jonam on Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/// Jon
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

They wieghed my Miata for $10.00 along with some brake work.
CMS-GT4

Post by CMS-GT4 »

Just getting it weighed is 10 bucks. They will give you corner weights numbers. Getting it weighed and setup is a bit more expensive as posted above.
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
92' Celica alltrac: in final stages of rebuild
03' Z: Grocery Gitter
Budman

Post by Budman »

Well I called A.C.C. and they quoted me $25.00 to weigh it. Seemed a bit high for 5 minutes of easy work. Any other shops out there?
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
valleyvwman

Post by valleyvwman »

there are hundreds of dirt track racers in the area...most (at least some) will have a set of portable scales. Call local tracks (411, Smoky Mountain, Atomic) and ask for the names of a racer or two...a few phone calls and you should be in business.
Greg Fetner
Lou Don, TN
'87 944 E/S
'86 944 turbo F'N/Mod
assorted others

Daddy was a mechanic...It would have been nice if he was a doctor, but, then, we probably would have been 'sick' all the time instead of wrenchin' on these cars...
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

If you live in Knoxville or at least Knox county you can go to the recycling center I think they have scales that weigh front and rear separate. you won't get corner weights but you will get F/R. Another option to just do front and rear balance is a truck stop with scales. They are setup to weigh axles individually too. If you don't need a printout and you ask nicely they may just tell you what it is for free as it only takes a minute
Jeff Miller
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

There will be a new shop opening in the next month on Sherway Rd (very close to you at Saturn) that will probably have the capability to do this. I can check on it for you if you like.

IMHO, if you have the ability to adjust corner weights, you should at least get the corner weights checked. :wink:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Budman

Post by Budman »

MARKP wrote:There will be a new shop opening in the next month on Sherway Rd (very close to you at Saturn) that will probably have the capability to do this. I can check on it for you if you like.

IMHO, if you have the ability to adjust corner weights, you should at least get the corner weights checked. :wink:
Please do...thanks! :D
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX