Fire Suppression System Requirements

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
jwagner

Fire Suppression System Requirements

Post by jwagner »

I have been investigating installation of a fire suppression system in my GTI and have a few questions for the tech folks that I can't seem to determine from the rule book (or maybe am just overlooking).

1. Is an on board system allowed in all classes?
2. Does the system have to be SFI or FIA approved if installed?
3. Is there a required suppressant over the other i.e. foam vs. Novec?
4. Can the exterior pull handle be located inside the car similar to the battery switch where it can be activated through an open window or does it have to be in the cowl or fender?

Thanks.
TedV

Re: Fire Suppression System Requirements

Post by TedV »

What class and events are you going to be running? Unfortunately SCCA has many different rule books and requirements depending what your plans are. It could vary from not required, do what you want to it being very specific in the GCR.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
jwagner

Post by jwagner »

Main SCCA events that we run are autocross.
TedV

Post by TedV »

Oops, sorry.. lots if us have been busy with solo nationals. For the most part, no fire suppression system is required for autocross. Even on cars based on road race rules, I can not think of any that require a system. Fire supresion
system would be icing on the cake
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
benk

Post by benk »

I think I saw an automotive fire extinguisher strapped into a fully caged car once. Other than that I don't think I've seen anything resembling a fire suppression system installed in a car at an autocross.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
jwagner

Post by jwagner »

Yes that is what most have if anything. That was what I had until I actually had a fire in the engine bay and now I'm considering installing a system as insurance.
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

I've got a Halon extinguisher in my car (Prepared), but I don't know that I've ever seen an actual suppression system in an AX car. Definitely wouldn't be a bad idea though.
Brian Robbins
XP 45