New Hillclimb very close to Johnson City & Erwin

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
deadbolt

New Hillclimb very close to Johnson City & Erwin

Post by deadbolt »

Hey guys! After several months of work and negotiations, we have gotten the clearance for our hillclimb, and it is within easy striking distance to some of you!

Here is the official press release:

Adrenaline Junkies Return to Western North Carolina

For Immediate Release: 1-20-2007

The intense, action packed sport of Hillclimbing is making its triumphant return to the Western North Carolina Area in May, 2007.

Hillclimb had enjoyed a storied and exciting 39 year history in the area, when in 1995, the Chimney Rock Hillclimb was run for the final time. A suitable sight was located the following year and used until 2001, but since then, this white-knuckle,grass-roots motorsport has moved outside the general area, to the Blue Ridge Hillclimb in Sparta, NC from 2002-2006.

After a 6 year hiatus, the sport returns to the area with a new venue that promises to rival the legendary Chimney Rock event. The Wolf-Ridge Hillclimb, sponsored by Prestige Subaru, will explode onto the motorsports scene on May 19-20, 2007 featuring some of the fastest hillclimb vehicles in the United States. From ground-pounding 700 HP racers to feather-light custom built "hillclimb-specials", vehicles the likes of which many people have likely never seen before will be making
their valiant attempts to tame "The Big Bad Wolf."

This would be the first-ever national-level motorsports event held in Madison County, North Carolina. Located just 7 miles from I-26, 35 miles from Asheville, and 45 miles from Johnson City, TN, this event promises to bring newfound visitors, tourism, and fame to the rural area.

"This is one of the best venues we have looked at in many years" said Mark Mashburn, veteran hillclimb driver.

Hillclimb events involve closed paved roadways, multiple turns, and measurable elevation change. Competitors are released for their attack on the mountain in intervals, and timed from start to finish. Speeds approaching 100 miles per hour, on roads with speed limits of 25-30 miles per hour are common, pushing both vehicle and driver to their limits.

The vehicles running are not your common "grocery getters", extensive equipment and driver training are required in order to compete in this sport, which obviously, can be extremely dangerous. "We have to prepare the cars with significant rollover protection, fire protection, and use special fire-proof clothing in the event that something happens" commented Nicholas Seymour, local Sandy-Mush driver. Seymour also commented that there are significant licensing requirements in order
to compete. "Due to the nature of this type of event, potential drivers must prove high-speed competition experience in order to drive at hillclimbs."

Hillclimbing is not only a thrill for drivers. Spectators are allowed and encouraged, provided they observe official spectator areas, and follow directions of event officials. The event promises to offer a view inside a thrilling motorsport that for several years, had seemed to be only a fond memory for the Western North Carolina area.

Further information about the sport of Hillclimbing, as well as more detail about the Wolf Ridge Hillclimb can be found on the official website, located at www.wolfridgehillclimb.com
awdbandito

Post by awdbandito »

I'm happy to hear the good news! I made it to Erwin a few years ago as a spectator and had a blast. Hillclimbs are definately fun to attend, so start planning ETR folks.
Tyler H

Post by Tyler H »

awdbandito wrote:I'm happy to hear the good news! I made it to Erwin a few years ago as a spectator and had a blast. Hillclimbs are definately fun to attend, so start planning ETR folks.
That was a blast...imagine if it werent cold and rainy.
ConeJunkie

Post by ConeJunkie »

Going to have to definitely go check it out, now only if I could compete in it..
I am so good I will race you and only use one hand.
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

Oh yeah!

Anybody know the location? Sounds like it's near Greeneville.
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Well Ron is obviously involved, since Cool Shirt is one of the sponsors.

It is in NC and and I expect near Wolf Laurel.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
LeadSSled

Post by LeadSSled »

I may have to spectate at this event - never been to one before. Haven't been able to find a date - when in May?
Terry Kehne
SCCA #337340
1996 Impala SS - not stock SM96
2005 Dodge Magnum RT - bone stock
1997 VW Passat TDI - Sprint 520 nozzles, Stage 2 RocketChip tune
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins

I drive a hybrid - it burns both gas and rubber.
larry

Hill Climb

Post by larry »

Look 20 m SE of Asheville on 74 near Lake Lure.
Larry Huff
1999 Mazda Miata Sport Silver CS 8 (#1)
1999 Mazda Miata Sport Silver CS 8 (#2)
2005 Acura TL Anthracite
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Larry, I think you are talking Chimney Rock. Sadly, no hill climbs there anymore.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

JD, if you're going to go, I'd love to tag along! :D
Stephen Wilson

awdbandito

Post by awdbandito »

If I go, I'll probably compete Steve, so you can come as my crew and give me a hand :lol:
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

Do you need a differant license to run hillclimbs. And besides a hoop and harness what other safety gear is needed. Chad
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
awdbandito

Post by awdbandito »

I'm pretty sure that you have to be qualified to run solo I events, which might as well be comp license requirements.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

awdbandito wrote:If I go, I'll probably compete Steve, so you can come as my crew and give me a hand :lol:
Done.
Stephen Wilson

HoserRacing

Post by HoserRacing »

It's at Wolf Ridge Resort in Wolf Laurel, NC, May 19-20, 2007. Should be a blast. Unfortuntately the date conflicts with the Chattanooga Region's event @ Nashville, so I'm going to have to miss it this year :( but look forward to attending next year. For more info, you can go to the CCR SCCA forum, I think they've got the info there, should be a big announcement on it Wednesday I think on their site, but I could be wrong. Enjoy it & give us reports guys!

BTW, You have to have a TT license with at least 3 flat track events worth of experience to do a hill climb. Roll bar as per GCR, harness, fire extinguisher, driver's suit, arm restraints, Snell SA 2000+ helmet, leather shoes, nomex socks, SFI gloves, balaclava if you have facial hair, that's all I can think of at the moment.