New Racing Network Being Planned with focus on Road Racing

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
scaryterry85

New Racing Network Being Planned with focus on Road Racing

Post by scaryterry85 »

Here is a reprint of an article that is on www.autoweek.com - (http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... wsletter01)
I am reprinting it because it has a "call to action" that we and all of our friends, fans, teams, drivers, team mates, etc - need to "sign" - in order for this project to get the support needed to become a reality. This is a totally new racing network that will have a primary focus on road racing - which becomes an excellant venue to promote GT1 type racing - heck ALL types of Road Racing. I have already talked with folks capabale and willing to shoot digital video of our AGT races and this new network may become the avenue for them to be aired....and not only that also other SCCA National events - maybe not the whole event - but highlight footage - how cool would that be! So please read and "sign" the petition to show your support.

The Racers Network
Hallelujah! Salvation Speeds Ahead
By DUTCH MANDEL

AutoWeek | Published 08/01/07, 10:37 am et

By many measures it has been a good week. Why: I am still perpendicular to the earth and I got a call from a guy backing a new road-racing television network.

He wants to know if a dedicated television channel with 1000 hours of live or same-day road racing would be a good thing. Is there interest among the car-racing community for such a channel?

You should know that Jim Liberatore is the former head of Speed network. He was there when The Ultimate Car Guy Channel showed fans everything from Australian channel boat racing to rally cross and everything in between. The new deal, appropriately called The Racers Network, will have all sorts of racing … and racing that doesn’t just turn left.

Don’t get me wrong. NASCAR is good. But its presence by my standards is oversaturated. I have seen just about enough reality TV shows on fourth-tier Busch series drivers, about celebrity driver searches, about the Wives South of the Smith & Wesson line. I want road racing.

And rally racing. And sports car racing. And karting, vintage, endurance, motorcycles in all their permutations, Porsche Cup and hill climbs. I even want stuff that focuses on marque-specific car clubs.

In a nutshell, I want it all.

I’m not getting it now. But Liberatore wants me—and you—to be sated. He’s apparently got some interest from Those Who Can Make Our Dream happen, but still he needs help: He must have enthusiasts sound off in sufficient numbers to show the powers that be such a network would have a regular following.

If you’re like me and you want your road-racing Jones to be satisfied, let me suggest something. Go to our site and click on the link to our Fast Poll question that will be live as of Monday, Aug. 6 at noon (EDT). Answer it honestly. Then tell your bench racing buddies to do likewise. Then go to Liberatore’s site, www.theracingnetwork.com and answer one question. And then tell your garage mates and car collector friends and other car-centric pals to do likewise.

I hope that by letting you know of this opportunity, your day—and week and summer racing season and television viewing time—just got a little bit better. Mine has