?? Spring Rates ??

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
ConeJunkie

?? Spring Rates ??

Post by ConeJunkie »

Does anyone have any suggestions on spring rates for my car? I am going to go with some Koni yellows and Ground Control coil overs. So am kinda looking for some suggestions on what rates to use. :? :?
I am so good I will race you and only use one hand.
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

500/500

I was told that Koni Yellows are only UPTO 600lb spring rating......after than special valving was required. Just what I was told by OPM Motorsports.

I think the above rates would work well with the car. When I drove it that one time.....i thought it was oversteer prone which was good, but just had too plush of a ride.

If you dont like whatever combo you have.....you can always just purchase other rates, i think individual springs are like 40$ or something?

I had a set(2) of 400's, 500's and 600's for my Integra.... I liked the 400's up front/ 600's in rear........once i learned to drive the car WITH the rear 600's :D
ConeJunkie

Post by ConeJunkie »

Well I was leaning towards 400 lbs up front and maybe 450 to 500 lbs out back. Should the rates be even all the way around the car? How was the ride with the 600 lbs springs?
whenry

Post by whenry »

Hmmm FWD with ground controls. Have you talked with GC to see what they normally recommend?
With all due respect to Tony, Honduhs generally require higher rear spring rates due to the length of the rear swing arm in the suspension. We were always told that road racing CRX's were in the 900# range. We were using 500# springs on the rear of the road racing EGT's and theywere really stiff.
You do stiffen the rear to get rotation but that can also be done in combination with rear bars or balancing with front bars. Choices, choices.
Id call Jay at GC; they were always quite helpful even though I never actually bought anything from them.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

I would think if you had even spring rates it would make your car understeer. This is just me guessing. As far as the rate. It just depends on if you are willing to compromise. How hard of a ride are you willing to put up with to have a good autocross setup.
Good Luck,
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
jonam

Post by jonam »

I second that GC must be able to give you a good idea regarding the spring rates. My experience with them has been great. :)
530-677-8600
/// Jon
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

600's weren't too bad......my car did weigh considerably less than you Nissan did however. What was nice, was being able to adjust the KONI's after the autox's to more forgiving level.....being my first experience with KONI, i would've imagined there would be little "butt-performance" difference between full soft and full hard. I was wrong.......KONI's are going on my Mustang ASAP.
MichaelXi

Post by MichaelXi »

Your answer comes down to SEVERAL Things which must be addressed.
First, What are your current Front and Rear Rates? (Surely it's published somewhere)
Second, what would you change from current regarding F/R balance? Less Over or Understeer?
Third, Is it Struts on all 4 corners from the factory?
Fourth, I assume that it's Also a Daily Driver?
Fifth, Well, I see you have the dampers covered... Never mind ;)
Answer these other 4 Q's and I'll be able to formulate a recommendation.
:)
Focus on FASTER!!!!
ConeJunkie

Post by ConeJunkie »

MichaelXi wrote:Your answer comes down to SEVERAL Things which must be addressed.
First, What are your current Front and Rear Rates? (Surely it's published somewhere)
Second, what would you change from current regarding F/R balance? Less Over or Understeer?
Third, Is it Struts on all 4 corners from the factory?
Fourth, I assume that it's Also a Daily Driver?
Fifth, Well, I see you have the dampers covered... Never mind ;)
Answer these other 4 Q's and I'll be able to formulate a recommendation.
:)
1. Pro Kits:
Front springs are 180 lbs/in progressive design.
Rear springs are 300 lb/in progressive design.

2. I want less understeer.

3. All for corners have struts.

4. It's a daily driver.

I been thinking of getting a set of Tein coilovers they come with 336 lbs up front and 280 out back. They would only be like a $100 more then the GC/Koni set up. But I figure they would be good for a 1/10 of a second because of the JDM factor. :P
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

Definatly get the GC they are the best. I eould think that with the shocks set of soft that 400 Front and 500 rear would nit be to harsh and reduce understeer. But what do I know I have autocross a front wheel drive car for a handful of runs.
Good Luck
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Call Ground Control. They've set up just about every kind of car for both autocross and road courses. I'd be really surprised if they couldn't tell you exactly what spring rate (and swaybars) you need for autox.
- Dave Disney
ConeJunkie

Post by ConeJunkie »

I will defiantly give them a call and see what they recommended for me.
ConeJunkie

Post by ConeJunkie »

Well just ordered my GC set up. After talking with them I ended up with 375 lbs up front and 450 lbs in the rear. We figured that would be a good start for me to try for a season. But you can always buy new springs for $59. So now all I need now are the Koni's and brakes. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ConeJunkie on Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steverife

Post by steverife »

ConeJunkie wrote:and breaks.
[spelling nazi] i don't think you want any of those :mrgreen: [/spelling nazi]
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
ConeJunkie

Post by ConeJunkie »

not cbring wrote:
ConeJunkie wrote:and breaks.
[spelling nazi] i don't think you want any of those :mrgreen: [/spelling nazi]
That is what happens when you drop out of school :x