Tires Question

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
01badz28

Tires Question

Post by 01badz28 »

Hey guys,
It looks like I am just going to run my 4th gen Z28 next season and not worry about trying to run an older car. I am going to run the stock 16x8 wheels at first, and I need to know what tires would be best for competition. Here is my criteria: 1) The tires have to last the whole season (I can't afford to buy another set). 2) They will have to endure brief trips on the road (just to and from events). What would you guys recommend in the tires deparment for my car? Thanks in advance!
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

If you are new to autocrossing, I would suggest that you run your first season on street tires. Trust me, it will make you a smoother, better driver and you will gain more when you switch over to race tires. Race tires will mask poor driving habits and make your learning curve steeper.

If you don't want to beat up on your regular street tires, I'd recommend some cheap Kumho Ecsta 712s. They're still a steet tire, but they're pretty good.

If you want to go with race tires and you plan to drive them on the street at all, get the Kumho Ecsta V700s. They will stand much more abuse than the Hoosiers. The Hoosiers are lighter and somewhat stickier than the Kumhos, but won't tolerate flatspotting (from locking the brakes) and general road abuse (potholes, etc.) as well as the Kumhos. Plus, they're cheaper, upgrade to the Hoosiers the next year when you really know what you're doing.
- Dave Disney
tscott

Post by tscott »

What is your stock tire size. I run 225/50/16 Kumho MXs as street tires. I have used them at one or two auto-x's (you drove on them at Blount dave). They seem to do real well. I also noticed a lot of camaros/firebirds running them in Nashville's open street rear (OSR) class. They are a little more than the 712's but I think the cost is well worth the difference b/w the 712's.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Thanks for the responses. Right now, I am running optional 245/50-16, but the car is more responsive on the 225s. Running the street tires Disney described, would I be able to get an entire season out of them? Thanks.
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

The 712s should last you a season easily, so long as you manage tire pressures properly at events (we can help you there), they would definitley outlast a race tire anyway. The Kumho MX tires are great tires, similar to the Azenis (Falken) as an intermediate tire between street and a dedicated r-compound tire.
- Dave Disney
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I would also consider the Kumho Victoracers. They will last all season (unless you plan on doing doughnuts) and will be grippier than the standard street tire.
I agree with Dave about learning on street tires but if you are going to go ahead and have dedicated race wheels and such you might as well go ahead and get the race tires.
Another option is to go buy some cheap used tires and run them for a few events and then buy some race tires. That's how I started. Cost me $40 for some Michelin MXV's.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story