Good place to mount and balance tires in West Knoxville?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
mrsoul55

Good place to mount and balance tires in West Knoxville?

Post by mrsoul55 »

Any recommendations on where to get tires mounted and balanced in West Knoxville? I need to have my street tires removed from the wheels and 4 new tires put on. Then I need my 4 Azenis mounted to 4 other wheels that are not on the car. Some places charge $20/wheel to mount and balance so this would cost a fortune with 8 wheels and tires. Any good places for a little cheaper? Thanks for the help.
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

I use Wall*Mart on Parkside $3.50 to mount and I think $7 or so to dynamic balance. I do my own balancing with a static bubble balancer and it works fine. I don't do high speeds though. Well not much. :wink: And never over 90. Too many things can go wrong.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

K-motion.

They are not in west knoxville but I try to give them as much business as I can.....they do a good job. They do em for me for $40 a set.
I will say that the main reason I go there to get tires mounted is because they watch out and try best they can not to mess up my wheels. If a few possible scratches aren't and issue, I'd just take em to wal mart at turkey creek.

I don't have their phone number, but it is listed.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

thrdeye wrote:K-motion.

They are not in west knoxville but I try to give them as much business as I can.....they do a good job. They do em for me for $40 a set.
I will say that the main reason I go there to get tires mounted is because they watch out and try best they can not to mess up my wheels. If a few possible scratches aren't and issue, I'd just take em to wal mart at turkey creek.

I don't have their phone number, but it is listed.
I also went to K Motion and I know JW and GBWRX went there too. hahah They only charged 30 for taking the old tires off mounting the new tires and balancing. Pretty sweet deal I'd say. D White did a pretty good job. We were only there for about 30 minutes or so.
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

I recommend Ted Russel Ford on Parkside Drive. John brown is the Service Director there and they do good work plus they are open on Saturdays. I do not remember the price John quoted me but it was competitve. My wheels were returned to me with no damage.

As to the static balancing that Scott mentioned, I used to do my own with a bubble balance but I found that once I started using wheels wider than five inches, I had trouble getting them smooth enough for the drive to and from events. I also used to mount my own tires by hand but again that was with narrow wheels and 60 series tires. I do not think I could do a wide low profile tire by hand without some kind of machine to hold the wheel while I did it.
mrsoul55

Post by mrsoul55 »

Walmart and Ted Russel Ford would be much easier for me to do. I'm an anti-Walmart kind of guy so I may use Ted Russel. John Brown - If you're here can you give a rough price quote? Thanks.
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

dfoulk wrote: I also used to mount my own tires by hand but again that was with narrow wheels and 60 series tires. I do not think I could do a wide low profile tire by hand without some kind of machine to hold the wheel while I did it.
:lol: Ask Scott and Stuart about mounting them by hand. :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

So what happened Scott and Stuart when you mounted them by hand? :lol:
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

As a kid (many decades ago) I used to dismount and mount my own VW bug tires with no machine, just a couple of bars and old smoothed big srewdrivers. So a couple of years ago after spending $60 to have someone else mount my Mini tires I thought why not buy one of these Harbor Freight manual machines and do it myself. Just how hard could it be??

Bad thought

Even after building a couple of clamps out of 2X4's, this was an awful job. After a long learning curve, it took me and Stu 30 minutes per tire and a huge amount of straining. Very sore the next day. I did 8 wheels and will NEVER do it again except maybe for my yard tractor tires.

Wide low profile, stiff sidewall, autocross tires are very difficult to mount. Even the pros with a power machine, it sometimes takes two people to do autoX tires.

Live. learn, and create legends. :oops: :lol: :twisted:
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
TedV

Post by TedV »

scottgib wrote: Wide low profile, stiff sidewall, autocross tires are very difficult to mount. Even the pros with a power machine, it sometimes takes two people to do autoX tires.
ummm Scott... I can mount a 225/45-13 Hoosier on a 6 inch rim in less than 30 seconds by myself... I'll beat anyone who tries to help me with a tire iron cause they will just get in my way. But then I am an untrained profesional with power tools. DO NOT TRY THIS WITH ITEMS COMMONLY FOUND AROUND THE HOME. At Appalachian we are more set up for track side service and y'all have to schedule when to bring stuff by. When all our equipment is off to the races and I need stuff done, I go see John at Ted Russel, Park Side
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

mrsoul55 wrote:Walmart and Ted Russel Ford would be much easier for me to do. I'm an anti-Walmart kind of guy so I may use Ted Russel. John Brown - If you're here can you give a rough price quote? Thanks.
Are they just street tires?
if so...$6.00/tire incls bal.
If thats ok...we need to do it soon (this week) as my tire guy is leaving for a bit.
ps.this $$ is for club members only and dont include them damn wide tars on skinnt little rims... :lol:
mrsoul55

Post by mrsoul55 »

John - I sent you a private message.
CMS-GT4

Post by CMS-GT4 »

Where is Kmotion located>? They are not comming up in the yellow pages.
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
92' Celica alltrac: in final stages of rebuild
03' Z: Grocery Gitter
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

Take the broadway exit and take a left at the first light. Go about 1/4 mile or so then take this little side road on the right. It's a dead end you can't miss it. I can't remember the # but d white madness on SCF is the owner. The only number is his cell #. Hope this helps
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33