Exhaust recommendations?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Budman

Exhaust recommendations?

Post by Budman »

I've purchased a "real" header for my car and need to build an exhaust for it this winter. I want to reduce weight and restriction as much as possible during events. The exhaust goes straight under the engine and continues straight until under the rear seat. I have approx 4 feet of straight pipe after the exhaust, then it does a 90 degree turn to the passenger side, then another 90 degree to the rear, up and over the rear lateral links and then back down to under the bumper for exit.

This will also be a daily driver, so don't want to make it too loud.

I'm thinking I have two options...if you have another please let me know.

Option #1: Put a glasspack on right after the catalytic converter and a cone muffler right after that. Not sure but might be pretty loud?

Option #2: Put glasspack on after catalytic converter then have bolt together flange after that and normal exhaust system after that. I could then disconnect exhaust and remove rear part of it if I wanted to for say larger events or BMS.

Thoughts?
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Cut it off under the rear seat and put a turndown on it.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

Option#2 if you want to live with it on a daily basis. If you have the exhaust exit anywhere under the car, your entire car will be a boombox and it will get very old very soon.

I'm thinking about going with full length exhaust on my car, with a flange after the cat and then borla universal muffler in the rear. I don't see myself un-bolting it for anything less than National Tour though, beacuse the gain will likely be very small( besides the weight savings).
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I like Kristo's idea. You definitely don't want the exhaust ending under the car.

What I did on the Honda, and what we did on Trey's car, is put as straight a pipe off the cat as possible and put a Supertrapp on the end that is easy to take off. It takes less than 5 minutes on either car.

Option #3: Put a straight pipe off the cat with a bend exiting from under the car just in front of the rear wheels. As little weight as possible and it looks cool to have a side exit exhaust. Invest in earplugs, in bulk.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

Just straight pipe it. All the way out the back if you are worried about being too loud. That will cut back on the noise a little bit.
2013 WRX
Budman

Post by Budman »

Can't straight pipe it all the way to the rear with out going underneath everything including the gas tank and rear lateral links. Will a Supertrapp muffler quiet it down enough to make it liveable on a day to day basis and also pass PSCC noise restrictions?
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
Scuffcakes

Post by Scuffcakes »

Budman wrote: Will a Supertrapp muffler quiet it down enough to make it liveable on a day to day basis and also pass PSCC noise restrictions?
You just add or remove disks to get the sound you want. It's pretty much user-configurable.
David Guffey
97 Miata - STS #40
99 Miata - Nicest beater I've ever had
88 4Runner - Trusty, rusty trail-sled
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

Doesn't the exhuasut already exit out the rear? If so I would think if you place the straight pipe in the same place then you would be okay. I may be a little confused here though.

My exhaust exits out the rear. I changed just the muffler to a straight pipe. Where the exhaust exits on my car there is sheilding. Not sure how the Saturn is. Maybe it is plastic like the rest of the car. :lol:
2013 WRX
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

The supertrap is really not that loud, plus it sounds cool. Why don't you look mine over at the next event.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

John, never got to talking with you about the pipe yesterday. But, I just wanted to mention that by saying straight pipe it doesn't necesarily mean that the pipe is straight. Kar Kare can bend that thing any which way you want it bent.
2013 WRX
steverife

Post by steverife »

The Supertrapp sounds "okay" on Trey's Subie. It sounds like absolute dog p00p on every other n/a 4 cylinder.

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do on mine. :?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

gbwrx wrote:John, never got to talking with you about the pipe yesterday. But, I just wanted to mention that by saying straight pipe it doesn't necesarily mean that the pipe is straight. Kar Kare can bend that thing any which way you want it bent.
Yep, and a little backpressure is not necessarily a bad thing on an N/A car.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

steverife wrote:The Supertrapp sounds "okay" on Trey's Subie. It sounds like absolute dog p00p on every other n/a 4 cylinder.
I disagree. I have one on the Honduh and I think it sounds decent. It just depends on what you do with it.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

4 cylinders generally sound like poop. (Esp. Hondas). :D
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
MARKP