Volunteer Needed for wrench session

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
ImpressvRS

Volunteer Needed for wrench session

Post by ImpressvRS »

65K miles are in the book now and it's time for a new clutch. Oh sure I could pay to have it done.....pay through the sphincter, but I'd much rather do it myself with the help of a an all knowing guru of mechanical genius. Just give me this saturday,your garage and whatever knowledge you have about replacing the clutch in a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS and I'll provide the food and beverage. Any takers can PM me or email me at impressz@netzero.net .
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
STS 70
whenry

Post by whenry »

We Miata club members periodically have tech days for just such projects. The record is 5 suspensions in 6 hrs. Surely there is a Subie club!
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

yeah, he called me already, but I can't do a clutch.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
tscott

Post by tscott »

I've never done one either. I'm sure you don't want me learning on your car. I say the closest subie guys that could help you are in Asheville. Try posting your request on the SE section of NASIOC. I'm sure somebody would be willing to help out!
Tyler Scott
ImpressvRS

Post by ImpressvRS »

Chris suggested Asheville as well. Not a good idea to take a long trip like that when the clutch is bad. I was hoping to go to Nashville this weekend when the thing started acting up on me. If worse comes to worse I'll do it myself in the driveway. That sux.
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
STS 70
TedV

Post by TedV »

non turbo cars as I can remember, remove exhaust pipe in the way, disconect all trans electical connections, drive shaft to rear, pop out front axles, 4 nuts to connect motor to trans, pop off rear tranny mount.. drop rear of trans, slide trans off of motor studs & clutch disk (it's heavier than you think) remove clutch, machine flywheel if needed, replace pilot bearing if needed (pull out with slide hammer), use the proper clutch disc centering tool, hope you have it centered properly. It will slide right back together, if not cuss to make a sailor blush (will make it go back together easier) tilt up front of motor to help line it all up, cuss some more till the cops show up cause the neighbors complained, put back on all loose parts. be sure you have the front axle splines lined up correctly BEFORE you try to drive in the role pins. If you have spare parts left over and it drives fine, they were spare, unneeded parts.

hope that helps, I was an acura/subie tech several years ago at harpers, but they didn't pay me enough to eat. Have you seen me eat???

I'd offer the use of my 2 car garage, but it's full of at least 4 cars worth of VW parts
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's