Local Tire Shops

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
kilt

Local Tire Shops

Post by kilt »

:?: Any reccomendations for local tire shops that will accept carry-ins? Just got my Tire Rack order. A couple of shops are listed on Tire Rack, but I would like to patronize SCCA supportive businesses.

Thanks,

kilt
tscott

Post by tscott »

I took mine to Wal-Mart at Turkey Creek and they did a good job. Believe it or not, my friend that works at NTB told me to take them there. He said to be sure to take them to the Turkey Creek Wal-Mart and not any of the other ones.
jonam

Post by jonam »

RaceCare in the Tirerack list, talk to Lee Kent.
/// Jon
MP5_57

Post by MP5_57 »

michel tire now named tires plus on Clinton Hwy in knoxville........will do it. Ive been going there for years and they do great work and have great prices....
jared

Post by jared »

MP5_57 wrote:michel tire now named tires plus on Clinton Hwy in knoxville........will do it. Ive been going there for years and they do great work and have great prices....
I second Tires Plus :)
Jared Suter
HS #54
89 Civic Si
kilt

Post by kilt »

I took them to Wally-World at Turkey Creek.

They manage to mount and balance my new Yoko's just fine. However, when it came time to change the oil, they drained the transmission and tossed to filter in the garbage. When they relaized their mistake, the put the filter back and added a couple of quarts of ATF. When the car did not move until I hit 4K rpm's I knew something was wrong. Four more quarts of ATF and some serious red faces later I was able to drive off on a very comfortable set of Yoko Avid Touring's.

Caveat emptor.

kilt
ConeJunkie

Post by ConeJunkie »

Well looks like Wally-World is good at mounting tires, but changing oil is another story. :wink:
I am so good I will race you and only use one hand.
kilt

Post by kilt »

I did not see Race Care in Tire Rack's listing.

German Autoworks was listed. Most reasonably, I might add.

I wonder if the Bluebaru looks at all like an Quattro from below? Probably more like a C4.

At least they did not fill my AT with SAE30 and say nothing. I did make sure they put the filter back tightly.

Adventures at Wally World. :lol:
TedV

Post by TedV »

Bluebaru?? as in Subaru? If so PLEASE go check your differential for proper fluid. Back a few years ago the scenario went something like this: Subies look like an old Ford with a double hump oil pan on both sides of the front crossbeam, except the first drain plug was oil, second plug was the differential, third right behind it was the ATF drain. when the car didn't move they would fill up the ATF, but miss the somewhat hidden differential dip stick on the other side of the transmission. Car drives away but the diff locks up a week later. Pepboys, jiffy quick lube, etc. provided lots of work for other places that know how to work on cars. I hope this isn't the case, but I had a bad feeling and would rather you check than be stuck with a blown trans.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's