More STR details...

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
steverife

More STR details...

Post by steverife »

TOPEKA, Kan. (May 7, 2009) – Sports Car Club of America’s Solo Events Board has approved a new supplemental class—Street Touring® R (Roadster), for competition in 2010.

The approval comes after considerable member support to expand the ST category to include a class for modern roadsters. While many cars are eligible, member feedback helped establish the Honda S2000 and Mazda Miata as the class’ performance targets. Allowances will be tailored for eligible vehicles to establish performance parity.

The class will have the following requirements and restrictions:
- Two seat sports cars
- Engine displacements up to 2.8-liters
- No forced induction

Eligible vehicles will include, but is not limited to:
- All STS eligible vehicles per the requirements and restrictions, plus
- Honda S2000
- Mazda Miata
- Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Toyota MR2
- Toyota MR2 – Spyder
- BMW Z3 (non M)
- BMW Z4 (non M)
- Mazda RX-7 (non-turbo)
- Porsche Boxster
- Porsche 968
- Porsche 944 (non-turbo)
- Pontiac Solstice
- Saturn Sky

Excluded vehicles due to performance potential:
- Lotus cars

Additional class notes include:

- Tire Allowances:
o AWD – 225mm
o 2WD – 245mm

- Wheel Allowances:
o AWD – 7.5â€
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

just what we always need...

another class. :roll: Id be happy with a third of what we have currently.

but thats just me. :?
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

I think this one will prove to be more popular than a lot of those classes we don't need...
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Sounds awesome. We can have each class duplicated - only using street tires instead of R compounds this time! Everyone will have a chance to be a winner in their own one-person class!

:roll:
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Scuffcakes

Post by Scuffcakes »

I see it as an opportunity to bring more people into the sport by offering a class for which there is a demand. The ST* classes are popular entry-level classes for young t00nerz. We do want to grow the sport, right?
David Guffey
97 Miata - STS #40
99 Miata - Nicest beater I've ever had
88 4Runner - Trusty, rusty trail-sled
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

exactly......what Ryan says

dont matter how many classes we make. Every single driver out there is NOT gonna be a winner..or even a threat.
STOP the MADNESS! lol :lol:
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

steverife wrote:I think this one will prove to be more popular than a lot of those classes we don't need...
really??
Id like to know how many folks will want to run aginst the masses of S2000 cars with their Mx5944S2MR2Z3 cars?????

it will be a spec S2000 class Id say.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Scuffcakes wrote:I see it as an opportunity to bring more people into the sport by offering a class for which there is a demand. The ST* classes are popular entry-level classes for young t00nerz. We do want to grow the sport, right?
Exactly! because most of those cars listed aren't already well served and attended in stock classes! I mean, when was the last time you saw an S2000 or a Miata at an autocross? Those guys must be chomping at the bit!
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

01badz28 wrote:
Scuffcakes wrote:I see it as an opportunity to bring more people into the sport by offering a class for which there is a demand. The ST* classes are popular entry-level classes for young t00nerz. We do want to grow the sport, right?
Exactly! because most of those cars listed aren't already well served and attended in stock classes! I mean, when was the last time you saw an S2000 or a Miata at an autocross? Those guys must be chomping at the bit!
I don't believe that classes draw people to the sport, but I think they maybe do draw people to national level events. They guy that bought coilovers for his MX5/S2000 now doesn't feel like he has cut up his new car and buy 18x11's and crazy expensive R comps. I predict that STR will have no trouble making numbers.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

John Brown wrote:
steverife wrote:I think this one will prove to be more popular than a lot of those classes we don't need...
really??
Id like to know how many folks will want to run aginst the masses of S2000 cars with their Mx5944S2MR2Z3 cars?????

it will be a spec S2000 class Id say.
Which would be pointless because, if I read the national's results correctly last year, that is what A-Stock already is.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

steverife wrote:
01badz28 wrote:
I don't believe that classes draw people to the sport, but I think they maybe do draw people to national level events. They guy that bought coilovers for his MX5/S2000 now doesn't feel like he has cut up his new car and buy 18x11's and crazy expensive R comps. I predict that STR will have no trouble making numbers.
The only thing I find amusing about that is when the RWD V8 guys use that same logic to have their own class, we usually get shot down / ridiculed. I guess it is different when you buy a car selected by the SCCA for greatness? I think we should separate classes for each color of Miata, so no one feels left out and everyone can be a winner! :roll:

It really just boils down to the fact that the SCCA needs less classes, not more. With one or two possible exceptions (and I doubt those cars could compete against an S2000), I don't see any cars that aren't already well served by popular stock and SP classes. Seems like a monumental waste of time.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

01badz28 wrote:The only thing I find amusing about that is when the RWD V8 guys use that same logic to have their own class, we usually get shot down / ridiculed. I guess it is different when you buy a car selected by the SCCA for greatness? I think we should separate classes for each color of Miata, so no one feels left out and everyone can be a winner! :roll:
I'm going by what people seem to want, nationally. Regardless of whether we need this class or not, a lot of people want STR.

FS was on the verge of dying before the Shelby GT showed up. ESP is on the verge being put on the block right and the only thing saving it is the WRX folks that are joining the class.

If you are talking about a local V8 RWD class, I thought that was what STM was supposed to be...
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

steverife wrote:
01badz28 wrote:The only thing I find amusing about that is when the RWD V8 guys use that same logic to have their own class, we usually get shot down / ridiculed. I guess it is different when you buy a car selected by the SCCA for greatness? I think we should separate classes for each color of Miata, so no one feels left out and everyone can be a winner! :roll:
I'm going by what people seem to want, nationally. Regardless of whether we need this class or not, a lot of people want STR.

FS was on the verge of dying before the Shelby GT showed up. ESP is on the verge being put on the block right and the only thing saving it is the WRX folks that are joining the class.

If you are talking about a local V8 RWD class, I thought that was what STM was supposed to be...
I really don't care about Tony's class, I think it took him less than 24 months to start complaining about it.

I always hear "mod your car to class," and its not uncommon for the 'serious' guys to remove mods to move back into a class that requires less prep. I'd say you are the poster child for that kind of logic.

I'm just laughing my ass off that in the blink of an eye you are now supporting the addition of another class that is essentially AS but with street tires for those poor souls not intelligent enough to read a rule book. :lol: Oh, the irony!
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

I dont really care for ST* classes, R-comps are too much fun for them to make sense to me (unless someone with an ST* car wants to let me co-drive and possibly change my mind :wink: :lol: ) but there was an STU-2 class in Florida that was popular amongst younger 350Z/S2000 owners (got alot of talk on the Z boards). Now maybe they'll get hooked on R-comps and join the A/B-stock ranks and start throwing mo' money at the SCCA. doesnt hurt my feelings.

for the record, i'd appreciate it if theyd let Z's in the class...and allow aftermarket LSD's :lol:
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

I thought allowing the Shelby GT in FS was ridiculous, but class numbers went up.

I thought/think STU is dumb, but it is popular.

I thought STM locally was dumb, but it really isn't harming anybody.

Above is the STR proposal. If it interests you, write a letter with your thoughts to the rules. If it doesn't interest you, ignore it or write a letter saying it sucks.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97