Fun day at Walter State!

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

only after you put those killer front bars on.....
then they fail. Put a block of aluminum between the bracket and the frame box... problem solved.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Brian

Post by Brian »

I always thought this was illegal but I see now that it's just part of the bracket. Some good advice for Joe & Joe.
Brian Hatten
AS 92
'11 CaymanS
AcuraAttack

Post by AcuraAttack »

ya advice taken! I know racing beat recommended buying something extra to help with that problem but I thought they were just trying to sell you something else.
99 Mazda Miata 10AE, 26 STR NeVr 4gEt <3
06 Saab 92x Aero, Daily Driver/Duh new Hawt
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

ke0ki2k wrote:
Brian wrote: Think so? It's about what I would have expected. Pretty sure it happened on the second run. The Mazda Comp brackets are outrageous - I see why people just wait for these to fail before replacing.
that kind of failure is common? :shock: holy shit. somebody go kick mazda in the nuts.
You should see the kia rear sway situation! I've had to custom fab (after failure) all 4 connecting point on the system because of a +2mm bar.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I had a great time- and hope I didn't annoy anybody too much with my stupid questions (or chattiness when I get nervous).

I only walked the course once- expecting a "novice walk". Well that's what I get for assuming. But that was my fault. I'll spend quite a bit more time learning the course before the drive at the next event I attend.

:D

And is it normal to immediately start thinking about getting some dedicated sticky auto-x tires after your first event?
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Bryan wrote:I had a great time- and hope I didn't annoy anybody too much with my stupid questions (or chattiness when I get nervous).

I only walked the course once- expecting a "novice walk". Well that's what I get for assuming. But that was my fault. I'll spend quite a bit more time learning the course before the drive at the next event I attend.

And is it normal to immediately start thinking about getting some dedicated sticky auto-x tires after your first event?
That's too bad about the novice walk... I didn't even notice there wasn't one :(.

Yes, that is normal ... but fight the urge and concentrate on fundimentals first.
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

Before dumping a bunch of money on really sticky tires, move to a falken Azenis or Dunlop Dirreza since they are good enough for the street and track...........Were you in the Audi turbo?

Bryan wrote:I had a great time- and hope I didn't annoy anybody too much with my stupid questions (or chattiness when I get nervous).

William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Yeah, you will be surprised at how quick you can go on street tires. See if you can talk one of the more experienced folks to ride with you and give a few pointers, or if you are really brave, ask them to drive 8) and then observe.

The two biggest things you can do to improve your times:

1) Tighten the "nut" behind the wheel (more seat time/instruction)

2) Tires

In that order, with the tires as a very distant second imho.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

First its tires, then its suspension mods - next thing you know you are in the middle of an engine swap thinking to yourself "WTF happened here?"
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
TedV

Post by TedV »

Wheelman_13 wrote:Yeah, you will be surprised at how quick you can go on street tires. See if you can talk one of the more experienced folks to ride with you and give a few pointers, or if you are really brave, ask them to drive 8) and then observe.

2) Tires

x2 adjust the loose nut behind the wheel first. Once you can get alot out of what you have, then add more go-fast goodies. If you don't want to trash your street tires, get some of the ST caliber tires that were mentioned on spare rims.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Budman

Post by Budman »

01badz28 wrote:First its tires, then its suspension mods - next thing you know you are in the middle of an engine swap thinking to yourself "WTF happened here?"
Been there done that....TWICE!!! :lol: :roll: :oops:
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Oberstwill wrote:.Were you in the Audi turbo?
Nope- the slow poorly aimed blue RX8.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Wheelman_13 wrote:Yeah, you will be surprised at how quick you can go on street tires. See if you can talk one of the more experienced folks to ride with you and give a few pointers, or if you are really brave, ask them to drive 8) and then observe.

2) Tires

Ok. Does auto-x damage street tires, or just wear them quicker?
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

ummmmmmmmm..

it damages them MUCH quicker....
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Budman

Post by Budman »

Bryan wrote:

2) Tires

Ok. Does auto-x damage street tires, or just wear them quicker?
It will definitely wear them faster, and depending on the tires, could damage them (chunking of the tread).
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX